1-FZFE Oil usage, how much does yours use? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
After a bit of frustration in regard to thinking I had an oil leak, I thought I'd check to see what the standard oil usage is among 80 series owners.

I have been going through around 1 quart (1 litre) per 1200 miles (2000kms) in a hot climate with a fair bit of highway driving, and some stop and go 4wding.
Care to share?

After reading several threads, it seems that 1 qt per 1000 miles may be within factory specs. Mine looses about the same as yours (169,000 miles on the odometer). I say looses, because, while I suspect the valve guide seals are leaking and some oil is consumed, I know my rear main seal is a bit leaky and that accounts for some of the loss. I did do the oil pump housing seal, distributor o-ring and valve cover gaskets and that help slow the loss.

about half a quart in 1500 miles. I know the rear main or rear upper arch is leaking some, and I need to fix a small leak at the oil pump seal.

1.5 quarts of mobil 1 5/30 every 2,500 miles, with only 1 very small leak around the pan. Sitting overnight on the concrete might have 1-2 drips.

Jeremy

Mine was using a quart every 500 miles. I did a HG job and put in new valve seals at the same time, now I burn no oil at all. My truck has 200K on it.

About 7,000 miles ago I was loosing no oil in 5k miles, but the valve cover gasket, distributer o-ring, and oil pump cover decided to start leaking so I loose about a quart in 5k miles.

Still a good bit lower than most loose with rigs that don't leak.

Mobil 1 10W40 High Mileage.

Mine: Rotella 5W 40, I lose about 1 quart every 5000, 192K miles, no leaks.

Mine- 1 quart every 1500-2000 miles, Quaker State 5W-30. Small leak in front. :cool:Ned

Before HG job
~1-1.5 quart consumption per 3000 miles, Delo 400 15w-40. Leaks from god knows how many places on bottom. self-sustaining rust prevention keeps me from identifying the actual leaks.

After HG, no idea yet.

rotella 5w-40 1 quart 3-3.5 K, thinking its mostly through the oil pump cover and front seal.

Mine: Shell Rotella 15W 40, I lose about 1 quart every 4000, 242K miles, no external leaks, but I believe the valve seals are seeping slightly.

mine quaker state full synthetic 10w-30 about a quart every 1000-1500kms ihave a valve cover leak.

about a half a quart every 2500 mls. I have small leaks front, rear mains and oil pan. A couple of drips here and there, no biggie. mobil 1 synth 5-30.

122K, Pennzoil Ultra 5W-40. No oil usage during 5k oil change intervals, but going up to 7,500 mi. and will update. Valve cover gasket and distributor gear o-ring replaced.

Last edited:
5-40 shell rotella. Just added about 1/4 qt after 2500 miles
But I have a rear main leak. And I'm at 274,000 miles

Last edited:
180,000 miles, 1 quart 5w-30 every 2000 miles. A couple minor leaks, but not enough to ever make a drop where it's parked. I think I'll start using the Mobil 1 high mileage 10W-30.

I lose about 1 qt of Mobil1 10w30 in 2.5K to 3K miles. Don't know where it goes, but it's plenty greasy underneath. Plugs have always looked fine.

WTF are you serious? !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom