1 for the price of 3? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm a hard working stiff and don't have much time for wrenching these days. I got a check engine light on my 94 lc and took it to the local dealer for service. I figured it would be an 02 sensor.

The diagnosis was two bad 02 sensors and an EGR problem. I approved the work, but now I'm left with the "did these guys rip me off?" feeling.

What are the chances of having two bad 02's and an EGR problem all at the same time? Does this sound feasible? I replaced one 02 sensor at 59K miles under warranty, but the rest are the originals.

Any opinions?

T.

landtank said:
do you have a magic 8 ball handy?

Yeah. I tried the magic 8 ball first. It said "Go ask on ih8mud."

tech- did you check the CEL codes using the paperclip method before you took it to the dealer? This would at least tell you if they were on the right track. It is possible the problem was only one or the other (O2 vs. EGR) but they replaced both. Not wanting to wrench is fine, but at least read out the CEL codes (post them on here if you're not sure what they mean) before you take it to the dealer. Also, how many miles on your rig?

If it makes you feel better, O2 sensors should be replaced in pairs anyway. Plus they do wear out, so now you should be good for another 100k or so...

Nope. I wasn't familliar with the paperclip trick.

I'm bouncing around posts trying to get the details, but it appears that jumping a couple of terminals causes the codes to be displayed via a flashing light.

I'm looking for a post that shows the location of the terminals to be jumped, and the location of the flashing light. Anyone have a link to the all inclusive overview?

I hate admitting ignorance, but am choking down my pride.

T.

Most of us have "FSM's" ie "Factory Service Manuals/Factory Repair Manuals", which 'splain all of this stuff. Even if you don't work on your own rig, at least get a Haynes manual (~$20) from your local auto parts store, cuz:

1) It has all of this stuff in it, and

2) You can use it to check whether your mechanic is feeding you a line...

Curtis

PS: CEL (check engine light) is the flashing light.

PPS: I'll bet we've got folks in SD that would be willing to lead you through this...

I think the oxy sensors are 2 screws each. Personally, I'd call Cdan and order a pair and soak the screws with PB blaster every day until they come. After installing, disconnect the battery for an hour to clear codes and reboot the ignition. If you get a code after this (and after spending half what you would have), then look into the EGR thing. The oxy sensors will probably pay for themselves in a year or so with fuel mileage if they're worn (you didn't post your odometer).

DougM

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom