1 FJ Cruiser, 1 FJ40, and 1 AWESOME TOW BAR (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

TheHardWay

Ain't as easy as it looks
SILVER Star
Threads
The mission: make our way to Henderson, Nevada and liberate this ’78 FJ40 from prison
Riley's rig.jpg

Early Saturday morning my co-pilot and I departed home base in southern New Mexico, headed for Tucson. We knew we could make it to north Phoenix by mid-afternoon, but did we have what it took to go further? Only one way to find out – compile a list of 3 motels each for Wickenburg, Kingman, then, and this was being optimistic, Henderson.

My Henderson operative and I maintained silent contact through cryptic texts exchanged as we passed through each checkpoint. Weather was a non-factor – clear skies, 100+ degree temps, and by the time we had reached Wickenburg we began to feel it was possible to reach Henderson that night. Four days had been allotted to complete the mission, so reaching our destination in one day would be HUGE. On we drove, and once we had safely navigated the wild, late Saturday afternoon Kingman traffic, we knew we’d make it with daylight to spare. I slept with a smile on my face that night.

Sunday morning our operative phoned and instructed us to meet him at the detention facility at 10. His directions were flawless, and we made it with 5 minutes to spare. He had allotted 60 minutes for our mission – no time to waste, so a hands on inspection was performed, and then the moment of truth was finally at hand – the test drive
20170819_153744.jpg

Now those of you who have read MY WIFE SAVED ME $10K! will recall that we have a standing agreement – I can buy whatever I want, AS LONG AS I DO A HANDS ON INSPECTION AND TEST DRIVE. None of this sight unseen, photographs only hope for the best bull****. We strapped ourselves in (well, I did, she didn’t have a seatbelt on the passenger side) and eased out for the deal maker/breaker. I liked how it drove. We switched for her to return. By the time we’d made our way back the consensus was: INSPECTION – PASS, TEST DRIVE – PASS. The deal was made, hands were shaken, money traded hands and it was still light out (11:30am), so the decision was made for an immediate turnaround and head home.

Now for the technical side. I’ve read MANY Mud threads on the pleasures and pitfalls of tow bars, tow dollies and trailers, and it had become my considered opinion that everybody’s right and everybody’s wrong because everybody’s different, right? Therefore decision number one was: my ’08 FJ Cruiser could tow an FJ40, certainly better than my ’08 Tacoma with a tow package.

Decision number two required a brief consultation with my Henderson operative. We agreed that putting both the transmission and transfer case in neutral, unlocking the front hubs, setting tow lights on the fenders and hooking up THE MIGHTY TOW BAR was worth a try. If it didn’t work out, there was always a U-Haul around the corner that would rent a tow dolly to me for my BMW Z3.
;)
100_0683.JPG

20170820_112506_Richtone(HDR).jpg

Now this may put the argument to rest or just fan the flames, but I feel it my duty to testify what my own experience was. First, the FJ automatic tranny had no problem pulling the 40, and I only had to get the feel for my brakes to be able to stop safely when needed. We made a shakedown cruise to Harbor Freight where I got the tow lights ($9.99, what a deal) and it was there we encountered our first ‘situation.’ HF was having a parking lot clearance sale, and maneuver space was limited. As I turned right to exit I had to cut tighter than I would have liked and, sure enough, the 40’s front wheels went the opposite way. Damn, you can tell immediately when it happens, and I had to jump out and grab the steering wheel to correct.

Well, okay, teachable moment – no biggy. We got on the 93 south and it wasn’t long before I was trucking along at 50-65. When traffic lightened I even put it on cruise control.

By 1pm we’d made it to Kingman and stopped for gas and lunch
100_0671.JPG

Feeling good – this is totally doable! Unfortunately, the exit from the Chevron parking lot to the main drag was a short but steep grade. I didn’t think I turned too tight, but before I could get into the yellow turn lane the 40 locked again. Oncoming traffic was in two lanes, and all I remember is jumping out, opening 40’s door, turning the steering wheel, jumping back into the FJ and easing back into traffic towards I-40 and freedom. It was then my co-pilot told me what I missed, that being a teen driver joy riding with her two passenger chicks coming up too fast at me, hitting her brakes at the last minute, swerving to miss me, then moving on. WHEW. I have no memory of that – total focus on getting that steering wheel straightened and moving forward!

Undaunted, we got on I-40 east to 93 south, returned to the towing groove and the only problem we encountered after that was getting used to the wild turbulence some of the tractor rigs made as they passed us. Man, some of those grades were fairly steep and LONG. By the time we reached Wickenburg around 6pm we’d had enough for one day. Great progress!

100_0674.JPG

That’s right, I took up 4 parking spaces in the motel parking lot (with their permission, of course), because I had learned my lesson on turning too tight and swore to NEVER DO THAT AGAIN. Monday morning, after a traveler’s breakfast of a big ass waffle, scrambled eggs, bacon, OJ and coffee we were ready to finish the mission before dark thirty. Onward!

Route 60 to Phoenix, is smooth and straight, and I was tooling along in cruise control when I could see in the distance a traffic signal. WTF, this is the middle of nowhere! Oh well, better to be cautious. I cancelled the CC, let off the gas and, damned if that green light didn’t turn red. I know, I’ve got ABS brakes, but I was trained in the old school, so slowly pumped the brake pedal as we decelerated, but NOT QUITE enough to make a complete stop before entering the intersection. Fortunately, nobody was coming through the intersection from either side, so I let off the brakes and coasted through that red light AT A SLOW SPEED. Okay, another teachable moment, and no jackknifing occurred.

STILL undaunted, we kept on south, found the 303 Phoenix bypass and, wow, 9:30, light traffic, and smooth, flat four lanes. NIRVANA. Everything was going great until we reached the southwest side of Phoenix and got bogged down in construction traffic – 20 minutes of stop and go, watching helplessly as the Monday morning nutjobs weaved from lane to lane. Our patience eventually got us through the bottleneck and open road south. As we reached the outskirts of Tucson we saw people pulled over, waiting for the lunar eclipse (no way!), but I had another sight in mind worth stopping for, so we kept going until we reached Texas Canyon where I took a few shots of my favorite scenery
100_0676.JPG
100_0675.JPG

The last 200 miles of the drive was uneventful - straight, flat freeway driving, and gave me time to think about what we had accomplished. In less than 60 hours we had driven nearly 1,400 miles, half of it pulling an FJ40 with a tow bar. Conclusion: Hell yes I’d tow it this way again. Avoid tight turns and emergency stops and it’ll be okay (disclaimer: your results may vary).

We turned (wide) into our driveway at 5:55. I unhitched the 40, put the FJ in the garage, fired up the 40, put it in gear and… why isn’t it moving? Tried all gears, nothing - then remembered I had to reengage the transfer case (sigh, long day).

Finally
100_0685.JPG

Safely tucked under a big ass carport. Veni, vidi, et emit (I came, I saw, I bought). MISSION ACCOMPLISHED. We have named it Zack. That’s right, we now own Zeke and Zack.

I’ll now open the Forum to all questions, comments, slings and arrows. BOOM (dropped the microphone)

awesome story and awesome toyotas. Congrats on your new 40 it looks very good and has the nice warn 8274, good find!

Ive pulled a 40 two times with my fjcruiser and it on a uhaul tow dolly. I burnt my clutch pretty bad a couple of times the most recent time on some big hills but it would pull it pretty well and could maintain 70 if I wanted to but im a 65 and alive kinda guy with my toyotas. The 40 is no light weight

Ive had the heart attack scare of thinking my 40 is having transmission problems then I remember the t-case is in neutral before to. I usually put my tcase in low or neutral in case some kid tries to steal it to possibly slow them down. I get off topic.

Good looking 40 and adventure story. I hope to read your next adventures with it to. I would suggest changing all the oils in it just to make sure you have good oil in there and get to know it. Never can trust previous owners.

Congrats on the purchase! So glad you made it home safely. An awesome 40 for an awesome couple. I'm sure you'll enjoy it for years to come!

Well written story, too!

Thanks Riley. Gonna register next week, will let you know how it goes. Valois says next time she'll take you up on that copter ride.

Hmmmmmmmmmm, flat towing a 40 with an FJ......Hmmmmmm..... @SAVtheSAVAGE maybe I need to get another front bumper and tow bar for my rig? 30A would be better viewed from my 40.

NICE job and great score!

I used to tow a willys military jeep and I would connect a bungee cord to the bottom of the steering wheel back to the driver seat. Kept the wheels from turning and locking up......

I used to tow a willys military jeep and I would connect a bungee cord to the bottom of the steering wheel back to the driver seat. Kept the wheels from turning and locking up......
I always do that, learned it many, many years ago. I flat tow my FJ40s, FJ60, and FJ62, but have used my Silverado 2500HDs for the task. The '09 crew cab long bed with Duramax beats out the '01 regular cab long bed, even with the 8.1L big block, mainly due to the longer wheelbase.

Glad you and your wife had a safe and successful trip.

Thanks, it was one for the scrapbook, worth every mile!

Great story and nice looking 40!

Looks like a very nice original FJ40. Enjoy it, don't go crazy on it. Looks super great though.

If you don't have to pass smog where you live, '78 is like the best year. Modify tastefully and carefully.

Looks like a very nice original FJ40. Enjoy it, don't go crazy on it. Looks super great though.

If you don't have to pass smog where you live, '78 is like the best year. Modify tastefully and carefully.

Haha, Right now I'd be thrilled to find seat foam for the driver seat and a pair of decent seat covers.

FYI, at least for 75ish seats, the seat foam is the same for L & R seats. The covers are also interchangeable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom