1 Day Away - Throwing Down 4 the Suspension (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks again Trapper!

I attempted to mock up the shackles to the spring just to get a glimpse of how it will look and it is going to be a real snug fit to say the least. I pressed the bushing into the spring eye then tried to slide the shackle over the bushing and it is going to take some major muscle and/or clamps to compress the bushing enough to get the shackle over it. There is about 1/8" of bushing that needs compressed to get the shackles over the bushings... I figured it would just slide over and the pin could be installed.

I guess I will just hold off until we start the actual install and introduce some grease to the madness...

I am planning for the worst... Since most people knock these installs out within 1-2 days I assume it will take me about 7 days.:p

FWIW, when I took my rig to the alignment shop, my rear axle was off by a measureable amount. $120 later I was good to go on all 4 corners...

I am planning for the worst... Since most people knock these installs out within 1-2 days I assume it will take me about 7 days.:p
Sounds like me.

When are you getting started?
Do you need to use castor correction shims with this suspension since you are using extended shackles or does it not matter since the HFS springs are longer then stock springs?

Best bet (hate to sound like a broken record here) is to have them check caster when doing the alignment. They can tell you exactly what the caster is so you know what degree shim to get. I think stock is -.5 degrees (someone correct me if I am wrong) so if you're at -4.5 degrees then get the 4's and so on. Longer centerpin bolts too, to keep them in place. (should come with the shims) and don't forget to clamp the springs before you remove the old one (SPRROOIINGGGG)

Sounds like me.

When are you getting started?
Do you need to use castor correction shims with this suspension since you are using extended shackles or does it not matter since the HFS springs are longer then stock springs?

We plan on getting started Saturday morning... I have been spraying the bushings and bolts with PB blaster all week, hopefully the old hardware/bushings come off easy.

I talked to the folks at CCOT when purchasing everything and asked a couple of times about shims, etc and they assured me I don't need any, even with the extended shackles.

Best bet (hate to sound like a broken record here) is to have them check caster when doing the alignment.

I will have the alignment inspected and the caster. I have read through the post on doing my own alignment and my eyes glossed over a few times... I will pay a shop instead.

...and don't forget to clamp the springs before you remove the old one (SPRROOIINGGGG)

Uh oh, clamp them? :bounce:

If you add shims, you need to replace centerpin with longer headed one, which means removing the old one, which means you gotta secure the leaf pack for the switch or they will do all kinds of crazy things. But this is only if you are adding shims, which it doesn't sound like you are.

You are going to be so stoked...we require pix be posted AS it's going down!

We plan on getting started Saturday morning... I have been spraying the bushings and bolts with PB blaster all week, hopefully the old hardware/bushings come off easy.

I talked to the folks at CCOT when purchasing everything and asked a couple of times about shims, etc and they assured me I don't need any, even with the extended shackles.

I will have the alignment inspected and the caster. I have read through the post on doing my own alignment and my eyes glossed over a few times... I will pay a shop instead.

Uh oh, clamp them? :bounce:
howd these work out for ya?

Without shims it won’t be close at all

have done said lift, and wouldn’t do said lift again

shocks are rancheros
Springs are too short and need hangers relocated to get the right angles

bent a spring because of the lack of anti inversion shackles while wheeling hard and the shortness of the springs

Ass end stink bugged real bad till I added add a leafs ( no rear bumper or cargo) And added a heavy front bumper.

just my .2 cents

12 years later, no complaints. No relocating hangers, no stinkbug, I did install anti-inversion shackles initially (did not install the CCOT shackles) because I had them on hand already.

Pic taken today - no significant decrease in lift height over the years, no stinkbug, no complaints (from me).
20210223_105610.jpg

@BG_TX sorry but I’ve gotta ask because I love those wheels. SCS F5 16x8 -25mm? 285/75/16?

Thanks in advance :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom