1/75 - 9/77 2F Points Distributor in F Engine w/o Igniter - Install External Condenser? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

4Cruisers

SILVER Star
Threads
Can you install and run an early 2F points distributor in an F engine without an igniter if you simply add an external condenser to the distributor, similar to the F engine set-up? It seems to me that the set-ups would be near to identical.

Does one of the F engine block holes line up with the 2F distributor clamp hole?

Last edited:
Yes I run the city racer set up, on my FJ60 which would be the non us small cap vacuum advance points and condenser distributor. This should be the same disdibutor you are referring only with with a condenser. I have it hooked up to a TPI coil set up with (ballast resistor). However, I do not know the part # for the correct condenser to replace it when do a tune up but. But the rest of the set up the part #'s coincide with a 01/75 through 09/77 - FJ40

maybe someone can chime in with a part number, I will post a pic of the condenser set up and how its mounted, super easy

the condesnser is hung off the screw that hods the vacuum advance together and attached to the back where the points get power from the coil

Photo 5-27-20, 10-07-44 AM EDT.jpg

Photo 5-27-20, 10-08-33 AM EDT.jpg

Thanks, that's what I was thinking. I've set up a '77 2F distributor with a 0.22uF externally mounted NipponDenso condenser from a non-Land Cruiser Toyota. I mounted it under the machine screw for the distributor cap clamp. I've seen other Toyota distributors from the same era with the condenser mounted under the machine screw that secures the advancer to the distributor housing.

'77-Distributor-with-External-Condenser.jpg

Here's a distributor from a '70 - '71 8R-C engine, 19100-34051:

Mike #1 DV OS 1,27.jpg

I like the under the clamp idea, I bought a trail spare, off a Camry I believe. However, the lead was too short and I couldn't get it to mount up using the screw the one you see is attached with, when I test fit it.

I have 20 of these new '71 - '74 Corolla 2T-C engine distributors, 19100-26051. They have the same 0.22uF condensers, but with the longer lead. And the vacuum advance curve is almost identical to that of the primary diaphragm in the '81 - '83 FJ40 and '81 - '87 FJ60 distributor advancer. In a few days I'll be selling the new NipponDenso advancers from these 2T-C distributors, with a custom brass bar stock mounting bracket, that will be a direct fit into the large cap distributors. They'll be a good set-up for the '81 and later Land Cruisers that don't need high altitude compensation.

Early-2T-C-1.jpg

Early-2T-C-2.jpg

Does one of the F engine block holes line up with the 2F distributor clamp hole?
I was thinking about this some more today, and I think I answered my own question - confirmation would be appreciated.

I know that I can install either an F engine or a 2F engine distributor in my '71 FJ40 with '76 2F. With the F engine extra small cap distributors I can bolt the earlier 2-bolt distributor clamp to the 2F block, and with the 2F engine small cap and big cap distributors I can bolt the later single bolt distributor clamp to the 2F block. So the answer seems to be "yes". Am I right?

Did some more searching here on MUD and ran across a thread with a few posts addressing my question:

Posts #36 and #37:

I THINK the semi electronic dizzy won't work with the gm module mod...but I could be wrong. the 77 dizzy is a vacuum retard/vacuum advance dizzy with a semi-electronic points driven ignition. that diz can run via points and the addition of a condenser w/o the ignitor in place. The points have to be good, tho, and gapped right. A non US vac advance diz in either points or electronic is a better diz, but the ability to bypass the module with the semi elec diz is pretty cool...HTH
That's what I was leaning towards. I've been told that it will run without the igniter, but that has not been what I've seen. Tried to run without the ignitor and resistor with the stock coil and with a new aftermarket coil with no luck. It runs great with a borrowed working setup from another rig. Distributor and points work fine.

Can anyone shed some more light on this?

As far as my case was concerned, I had a dead truck. Crank and crank but no spark.

I borrowed a coil, igniter and condenser from a running 77 model, and it fired up.

With new parts being NLA, I purchased and installed a new aftermarket coil and a pertronix kit......bypassed all other pieces, and it ran fine.

Some FJ40 distributors locate the condenser inside the distributor, with a ribbon connected directly to the positive side of the points and a grounding connector connected to a screw inside the dizzy:
1591032671960.png

1591033084240.png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom