1.5" lift tire size and brand choices (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey folks, long time reader, first time poster.

I have myself an '05 LX470, AHC went out about a month ago and I elected to go for the OME 1.5" medium load kit. I've very very happy with the ride and the look of it, but obviously I'm stuck with the goofy looking stock tires. Older and wiser (and more fiscally responsible) I've chosen to stick with the stock 18 wheel. I have exhausted myself on this forum and others to get that 100% feel good about tire size choice before I go out and buy a set of 5 new tires. With that being said, most of my wheeling is done out in the desert here in CA, no crazy rock crawling, some technical stuff, just good ol' 4x4 often times loaded up with light camp gear. Additionally, this gal is my daily driver, so as much as I crave advice, please attempt to keep that in mind! I'm looking at the KO2s like a lot of folks in the 275/70 size. You all think that is enough tire to offset the newly minted 1.5" OME lift? Another novice question... the tire size seems to support an E rating as well as the 125R, I'm not towing or throwing on a ton of aftermarket stuff, is the E rating necessary?

Thank you for the help in advance!

BWq4yYixSfmmMcQtjM45pw.jpg

Last edited:
The load rating e is for heavy loads use, and yes it’s heavier than load rating D AT or MT tires.
At 1.5 inch lift using oe wheels you are cleared to put on 305s max but that would yield to a heavier wheel/tire set. 275s (33.4) or 285s (34.2) is your likely sweet spot for tire size.

I know you said you want to keep your stock 18's but I'd suggest going to 17's and going with these tires. Your wheels are worth $$ on the used market. You'll save money on this size too (18 vs 17). Choose a +35 to +20mm offset wheel.

400F03EF-3877-47A9-BBDD-9F1E79443E2F.jpeg

My truck on the left with 275/75/18 and. 2” lift. Fits the truck well, I would prefer a lower offset or spacers but not worth the money at this point for something cosmetic. Look at the Cooper Discoverer AT3 as well for DD/off-road balance. I’m probably gonna swap for factory 16s when these tires are done for better off-road performance, but 17s are a great balance as said above.

I'm looking at the KO2s like a lot of folks in the 275/75 size. You all think that is enough tire to offset the newly minted 1.5" OME lift?

Did you really mean 275/75? I'd wager the most common replacement sizes for the 18" wheel are 285/65 (32.5"), 275/70 (33.2"), and a 305/65 (33.5"). While I wish I had a bit more width (don't we all, amiright?), the 275/70 is commonly stocked, less expensive than the others, fits easily under the car, and fills the wheel well nicely.

There are countless photos posted if you want to see examples with various sizes.

Random photo of mine, 1.5" lift, 275/70/18

IMG_0670.jpeg

Did you really mean 275/75? I'd wager the most common replacement sizes for the 18" wheel are 285/65 (32.5"), 275/70 (33.2"), and a 305/65 (33.5"). While I wish I had a bit more width (don't we all, amiright?), the 275/70 is commonly stocked, less expensive than the others, fits easily under the car, and fills the wheel well nicely.

There are countless photos posted if you want to see examples with various sizes.

Random photo of mine, 1.5" lift, 275/70/18

View attachment 2163344

Whoops you’re totally right, I’m also running 275/70/18.

I run 16’s with a ~33” equivalent and there are days I wish I could go bigger. If I could choose, 17’s are the way to go in terms of tire selection. Otherwise I’d be going for something closer to a 34” tire if running 18’s.

I’m running Falken AT3Ws and love them so far, I went with range E for the beefier sidewalls. Probably one of the best bang for your buck Tires out there.

Truck that I just picked up has, I believe, an OME Medium 1.5" lift with Falken AT3Ws in 285/75r16 in E load rating. So far the Falken's have been awesome and were something that I was considering outside of my normal Cooper Discoverer AT3 XLTs (which I loved on my 60). Just brought the truck home on Friday but have close to 600 miles on the tires and can say that they have great road manners, are nice and quiet and seem to do good in the little bit of wet weather we have had.

First off, thanks for everyone's help. ih8mud has been invaluable to me! With that... here are the Cooper 275/70/18 Coopers E load rating on the Old Man Emu 1.5" lift. For all those wondering, yes, the ride is a bit stiffer, and she's a bit sluggish in the daily driving turns. She is however, and absolute pleasure to drive in the dirt! No rubbing whatsoever going any direction, and the highway speeds at 75+ are minimal when it comes to tire sounds.

YagMjhV1RDSAmUIf4Np8tw.jpg

Wrb+wHGPQ76OKb7zE1EX1Q.jpg

ScvvuGc8TBquvHeDaG7AAQ.jpg

First off, thanks for everyone's help. ih8mud has been invaluable to me! With that... here are the Cooper 275/70/18 Coopers E load rating on the Old Man Emu 1.5" lift. For all those wondering, yes, the ride is a bit stiffer, and she's a bit sluggish in the daily driving turns. She is however, and absolute pleasure to drive in the dirt! No rubbing whatsoever going any direction, and the highway speeds at 75+ are minimal when it comes to tire sounds.

Looks good. And where was picture #1 taken?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom