1.4 kW or 2 kW starter? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

IIRC you can see the model number on the side of the starter without pulling it. If you can, you parts dealer can tell which one it is by the model number.

The warmer the area the truck was speced for the smaller the starter. So if you know where the truck was delevered to then it will also give you a idea on the size. THe smaller starter turns the motor over slower, expecially in colder areas. Also did not see what year 80 you have. I do believe most 80 came with the 2.0kw starter. the 93's and some 94's came with a 2.4 starter (my wifes 93 starer is killer). later Robbie

Any Toyota parts dept can tell you with your VIN. That's the best way to order your starter contacts unless you suspect the starter is not original.

DougM

[quote author=robbie link=board=2;threadid=10617;start=msg95579#msg95579 date=1075132159]
The warmer the area the truck was speced for the smaller the starter. So if you know where the truck was delevered to then it will also give you a idea on the size. THe smaller starter turns the motor over slower, expecially in colder areas. Also did not see what year 80 you have. I do believe most 80 came with the 2.0kw starter. the 93's and some 94's came with a 2.4 starter (my wifes 93 starer is killer). later Robbie
[/quote]

Robbie,

Is that a typo or really a 2.4 kW killer starter?

I have a '96 model, and dealer confirmed it has a 2 kW starter.

It is a bit of a typo.

1993 models have a 2.2 kw starter. 93 is the only year for this starter. They are no longer available as new units and a re-man version does not exist. Toyota replaces it with a re-man 2.0 kw starter. Repair parts for the 2.2 kw starters are available. 2.2 kw starters seem to last a good deal longer than 2.0 kw units.

[quote author=cruiserdan link=board=2;threadid=10617;start=msg96704#msg96704 date=1075385367]
2.2 kw starters seem to last a good deal longer than 2.0 kw units.
[/quote]

This is so true as it is traded for shorter engine's life :-X :D

Frank.

[quote author=sjcruiser link=board=2;threadid=10617;start=msg96815#msg96815 date=1075415292]
This is so true as it is traded for shorter engine's life :-X :D

Frank.
[/quote]

:flipoff2:

Dan's right on that, I thought I saw 2.4 on the starter but I was dreaming. I do know these starters turn the engine over much faster. later Robbie

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom