1.4 - 2.0 - 2.4 starters and solenoids (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Malleus

Far west of Siegen
Threads
Does anyone know definitively which power ratings were selected and why? I have a November 1994 that has a bad solenoid (it's sticking when it's cold) and I need to replace it. The data sticker is missing, so I have idea which starter I have. Both the 1.4-kW & 2.0-kW are listed for the VIN, but there's also a 2.4 available.

@Onur? @jonheld?

take a picture. They look different.

:edit: I believe the large one is actually a 2.2 not 2.4

starter-jpg.275363

Supposedly 2.0 were used in cold weather markets. and the 2.2 was year-specific. All are interchangeable. My LX had the 1.4 and started fine in sub-zero colorado winters until the starter died. I replaced it with a 2.0 (not intentionally, that's just what I got) and the starter felt like it may have a little more oomph, but really made no significant difference. Battery is more important for cold weather starts than starter, methinks.

Last edited:

starter-jpg.275363
I have to save that! So it's a 2.0 then. Assuming your photo is largest size = largest power rating.

Yes, the middle one is a 2.0

Found this while reading the truck bible the other day.
57654B60-EA4D-4A57-B3CC-9485638144B5.jpeg

starter-jpg.275363

Supposedly 2.0 were used in cold weather markets. and the 2.2 was year-specific. All are interchangeable. My LX had the 1.4 and started fine in sub-zero colorado winters until the starter died. I replaced it with a 2.0 (not intentionally, that's just what I got) and the starter felt like it may have a little more oomph, but really made no significant difference. Battery is more important for cold weather starts than starter, methinks.

I did 2.2 kw 2.0 kw and 1.4 kw starters - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/2-2-kw-2-0-kw-and-1-4-kw-starters.251794/#post-3866134

Thank you for posting, I used my search-fu to repost your photo :cool:

Resurrecting an old thread with new info. The cost of a solenoid, or a rebuild kit is considerably less than the cost for even a rebuilt starter, so while i have the head out ('cause Roadkill), I figured I'd at least take the starter apart and see what I could do "while I was in there".

Every starter I've pulled of a LandCruiser has had stuck screws holding both the solenoid and brush cap on, making them unrepairable bricks, for all intents and purposes. The problem is that Denso uses really soft screws (and maybe stickum) that completely cam out when you try to remove them. Adding insult to injury, they have JIS cross point heads, and they're counterbored into really close fitting holes, so there's no really good way to remove them, without resorting to a Easy-Out (it takes no torque at all to remove them, if you can hold them).

My solution, after much fiddling around and finally removing the offending screws, was to replaced them with socket head cap screws, so they can be removed without resorting to drilling them out.

Brush cap : M5 x 15 long (keep the O-rings!)
Solenoid: M6 x 35 long

Note: both sets of screws have pilot diameters which aren't needed. You can turn down your new screws if you think you like the look; I didn't.

Repalcement brush cap screws.jpg

Replacement solenoid screws.jpg

Mine was nasty inside (surpise!), so I'm replacing all the fiddly bits with new ones. [Mine is a 2.0kW; if you need the parts for the 1.4kW they're here]
1646055000320.png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom