1/2 day trip to Rio Puerco this Saturday 3/17 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

What a great day we had!!! Big thanks to Jim and Evan for leading the event... yall knew where all the fun stuff was. I didn't have my camera with me today, but there were a few others that did. I hope they get them posted up real soon. I'll give you a little teaser for now....

Someone had the bright idea to bring a friend with a Chevy K5 Blazer. I'm not sure what all he managed to break, but it included his driveshaft and a u-joint for sure. We were in the middle of nowhere... so one of the guys from TTORA pulled him about 10 miles.... with a Tacoma. Yep.. that's right... a Taco pulled a 6000 lb Blazer... offroad... over hills and through ditches. I really feel sorry for that Blazer!!! Oh... and did I mention there was a group of drunk Heep owners? Well... one of them had one too many and thought it would be funny to try and do a doughnut... it ended with him rolling his XJ over. I guess that was the only way for him to follow up blowing his transfer case. All in all... bad day to not be a Toyota.

There was lots of other fun stuff. I'm sure the pics will show you what you all missed.

So Michael, did you get a chance to give the Active-Trac a workout? I drove one of the Trail Team FJCs about this time last year. Robbie was showing me how it works and how to get it to engage. Pretty impressive.

So you discovered that the Puerco is a good bit more than running up and down the dunes. :D

I'm glad you guys had a good time. Post a list of everyone that showed up with the group.

-Mike-

I think the only members were myself, Evan, and Jim. Noah was there with his 80 as well. I believe the others were invites from the Yotatech forum and TTORA.

The ATRAC is pretty amazing. I was able to climb some pretty steep rock faces with it. The first time it engaged, it sort of scared me. Then I remembered what everyone on the forums said... if it sounds like your truck is breaking, its just the ATRAC kicking in. I was suprised by how well it works... and you can still steer too!!!

It was a good day despite the K5 breakage, that held us up a little.

I am not good with names, but here's the rigs (and some names) of those who showed:

3rd Gen 4Runner - Me
3rd Gen 4Runner - Brian and girl friend (wife?)
FJ 80 - Evan
FJ Cruiser - Charles? (sorry if this is not right)
Taco - Mike (TTORA)
K5 Blazer - ? w/ Mike
FJ 80 - Noah
Jeep - w/ Noah

I will get some pics up once I get some from Brian.

This was the first time I wheeled with an FJC. I was curious about the A-Trac. IMO, there were times when it seemed to work well and other times when it didn't. It reminded me of when I had a True Trac in the front, sometimes great and other times not so great. I would say that it does not replace a locker, but does add-value. It may take some more practice to learn how to make it work more consistently. I can say that the FJC owner was not afraid to try some good obstacles. With a little lift and some bumpers the FJC will go far.

Definately not a good day to not be driving a Yota.

We had a great time yesterday. Mike didn't mention that the K5 Blazer was on 42 inch Super Swampers - that thing was huge. I was very impressed that the Tacoma was able to pull it for such a long way and over such rough terrain.

I'm no expert on GM Transfer cases, but the rear driveshaft exploded at the front end near the transfer case. Since the Blazer had a "slip yoke," all of the ATF in the transfer case immediately dumped onto the rocks. It sounds like a slip yoke eliminator would have helped with this problem. It also didn't help that he was stuck with the nose of his truck pointing up at about 45 degrees. Without the slip yoke problem, he probably would have been able to limp out with the front driveshaft only.

The rolled Jeep was another interesting part of the day. We were already on up the trail and looked back and there was the guy upside down! He wasn't even on an obstacle, just a flat place in the dirt. We had seen him about 10 minutes earlier - swigging a beer. The guy's lucky he didn't kill himself - Darwin's Law in action.

Evan

-Mike-
worthless_thread_wo_pics.gif

I goofed up.... forgot to bring my camera. I think Jim may have taken a picture or two. Most of the pics I think were taken by Brian and his wife. I think they are pretty much on vacation right now, so it may be a couple days before he gets some pics posted up. More than likely, I would say they will end up on the yotatech thread (see link at top of this thread).

Good pics...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom