1,2-4+ key turns to start engine then roars to life. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ive been having this intermittent issue for several months. It varies from starting first try, 2 key turns then starts, to absolutely no luck after several tries and I let it sit for a day. There's a slight "click" noise coming from the engine bay (similar to a dead battery click) when the key is turned and doesn't start. Checked battery (good) and alternator is new 2021, I also lubed up the ignition barrel and no change. I did notice that all last week it started everyday, several times a day until a slushy snow storm hit. Drove several hours in slush yesterday, sat overnight in garage (freezing temps) and today the same issue returns. Seems as though rain/snow plays a role in the no start. I replaced the starter back in 2012 (PITA) because it wouldn't engage and run continuously. I have a video but can't attach?

**EDIT** To be clear, the engine isn't turning over when I turn the key. All the dash lights are illuminated and a brief "click" but nothing else.

Last edited:
Sounds like it could be the EFI problem. I had the same type of issue and then went this route and it's never failed since...

Sounds like it could be the EFI problem. I had the same type of issue and then went this route and it's never failed since...

Thank you AZ. Sounds like this will get me down the road temporarily. :p Is there a test to check if its in fact a bad EFI? I'm watching a few videos too.

Based on replies, I'm confident this is the issue...dash lights illuminated/no crank. Worn starter contact/solenoid "click" heard when turning the ignition and no crank.
Watch at 2:25-3:08

Starter contacts for sure.

Immobilizer symptoms are cranking but no firing and often no CEL.

I am experiencing a similar problem. Dash lights come on, then no crank, no click, no start. The only difference is that when I move the shifter in park, or shift into neutral, it’ll start normal.

Any thoughts?

99 100 series, 270k + miles. Starter could be original, third owner.

I am experiencing a similar problem. Dash lights come on, then no crank, no click, no start. The only difference is that when I move the shifter in park, or shift into neutral, it’ll start normal.

Any thoughts?

99 100 series, 270k + miles. Starter could be original, third owner.
I do, has all the symptoms of a neutral safety switch issue. I ruled that out on my rig. Thread link below, scroll down a bit and they discuss NSS.

100 Series Cruiser Starts Right Up and Then wont do Anything? - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/100-series-cruiser-starts-right-up-and-then-wont-do-anything.1238347/

Regrettably, I had to use a local shop to install the new starter. Ive used this shop in the past with good results and a fair :frown:price to install a water pump/timing belt etc. Picked up the rig and my son drove it home. I wanted to listen to the new starter so I walked outside and I'm immediately hit with a strong fuel smell, 10 feet from the rig! It was late so I dint have time to check it out. Next morning I removed the plastic engine cover to check fuel line, injector etc. and found the #3 cylinder injector was bent/out of position. Started the engine and that very injector was pissing fuel everywhere. Looks like the "technician" damaged the injector while reinstalling the intake manifold.

Called the shop and sent them images. Shop paid for towing. They got back to me and said that its probably bad seals and they should all be replaced for $800! I explained to them that my injectors were fine prior to the starter replacement and that quote is unacceptable. Sounds like they want to charge me for labor to remove the intake again to fix their mess and make more $ on o-rings. The shop assistant seemed frazzled and needs to discuss the situation with another tech that wont be back until tomorrow. I personally replaced the starter 12 years ago and understand the process, more importantly, being careful. Another kicker was while expecting the fuel leak, noticed they didn't even clean around the starter/top of block. I can see a mouse nest through the manifold! (It sat in my garage for 2 weeks prior to repair).

100 series.jpg

It doesn't look like the injector is bent out of position. It is turned slightly when they installed the connector. If it leaks from that tiny turn then your seal is bad to start with. The fuel leak could also be from the fuel lines that they touched to remove the intake manifold.
Are you affiliated with the shop?:confused: Its bent/twisted and leaking bad. The injector should be inline with the valve cover bump at 6 o'clock. The first thing I did was check fuel lines until I came across the injector. The point I'm making is the only leaking injector is the one that was bent while reinstalling the manifold whether the rings/seals need to be replaced or not. And the lack of common sense to clean out the area in and around valve intake ports.

Are you affiliated with the shop?:confused: Its bent/twisted and leaking bad. The injector should be inline with the valve cover bump at 6 o'clock. The first thing I did was check fuel lines until I came across the injector. The point I'm making is the only leaking injector is the one that was bent while reinstalling the manifold whether the rings/seals need to be replaced or not. And the lack of common sense to clean out the area in and around valve intake ports.
I could be affiliated with the shop if you let us know the shop name.

Any thoughts as to why Im not getting a check engine light with a leaky injector? Runs smooth too.

Just finished installing new 100 series 2UZFE injector seals and front fuel pipe crush washers in 4.5 hours. I removed the fuel rails vs the whole intake. It went well, most importantly, I saved $800 which the shop quoted me for the same repair. Never again! FWIW managed to keep the fuel pressure damper attached to the rail and fished the flexible rubber hose under the harness during removal and before dropping the rail in place.

Thank you to Kamran Khan, he produced an informative fuel injector video despite having a LX470 2UZFE-VVTI.

Image(5).jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom