'09 LX Tesla GT6 HU Upgrade (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

TeCKis300

GOLD Star
Threads
There's other Tesla HU threads, but creating a new one as I'm trying to consolidate info that I found incredibly hard to do with the unified threads. This is also for the newer generation of Android 11 / Snapdragon 665 / GT6 based HUs, which doesn't have the same framework of the older Android 9 / PX6 / Sergey levels of support. Credit to @baktasht with his documentation and hints that helped me along

Big one up front, the reason to do this is not for Andoid Auto or Apple Carplay. It'll work but that's for lesser displays. I may be wrong, but that level of integration is not necessary when you have a full featured app capability.

Pros
  • 13.6" display
  • GT6 / SG 665 / 8-core architecture is fast with support for apps going forward
  • Full featured Android 11
  • Screen split for apps
  • Fully working A/C controls
  • Fully working steering controls
  • Hazard works
Cons
  • Lack of screen brightness and glare against sun
  • Minor bugs
  • Reverse integration
  • Inclinometer front/rear graphics flipped
  • Lack of install instructions and support
TO BE CONTINUED...

1681011726499-png.3294354

1680389292679-png.3288304

Last edited:

Installation Placeholder​

There's a ton of harness and plugs to deal with. My GT6 came with primary harnesses and I used the ones with a * for my 2009. That needs to be combined with the other two minor RCA harnesses to interface with the ML amp.

The harness on the car side is pretty wicked. Need to bring the car side harness from the lower area to the upper area if that makes sense.

Not going to try to detail what goes where, but basically work through it to see what matches where and this picture might help. Good luck...
1682769623935.png

Harnesses use
1682769416282.png

1681060693107.png

The metal brackets are poor fitting and needed to be tweaked to bring the HU tight and close by slotting the two holes on the GT6 side.

Here's what that looks like
1682801233530.png

Last edited:

Solving Reverse​

EDIT: Backup cam integration solved here

I never got my reverse camera working but there's a couple nuggets I've since gleaned that could help.
- There's a blue 2pin looking small digital connector on the GT6 side. There's a matching blue male connector that will fit, but you'll actually want to plug in the gray one from the car side that is keyed slightly different. It takes a bit more force, but will go in
- There's a blue wire in the top left position on one of the car side medium plugs that is the reverse signal. This will need to be spliced into the brown wire on the GT6 side.

3rYT9IZzLZfrC-pIo3FU7DD8uas06MJniZzRTJtgSjxXRmalFfzJNnoQw3LlMN3y6pvYF-ZyTI1gzzOwXbcD59UvHJaUcmaCTHeV1kT4ZoTEE4eV4OFYUW8P8G31f7Hfdq7pTaEeOEUDQVcXRcapdWP_DMFTZrbH2OfpafGrKbG5Fk19mhXNpt0cXjAOWmzQs3uqxKuRVWuh5g8R-uzhNqyMqid3DRneedraw2HEDB2-tKXUvZsoVT4q0nRI0sFX6-5fC5tff-C5y4O1uBco-r9Isf007QBdgMNHaNy7OHQQEXXWbTVcCD9niKkbgEbF6jGEI-Ul2j-no3U2q2FAaWk5ApRQw4jeTSvzSlHunh1B4ka09m82whP9N4knN0SFTG5Ke-wrAyTnpre8gNgNrsop-xxQl8mrq-9WgVyFHu6X72uKn-yOUhdIDhEDtG8m0EB-OFg3YqlqV-Led_-MwhKL0g6IHKMzVOPQri-B2A0rCxx0tZLlFZCKe-d-v-TpRI5RwOSwK9GvIvxDIuMq_uP-mfLNvcAH6aSB39Kq9ciMt7a8OGK28TmmKzCTC9QCm-DSBqutShyUfhO-L6xBCTOv070JWxrdN26tSGhKmkT_TMarvZOCbGDwYj1jDcU1oqpITU7YotwR37TjUTqIALCHYc7i07sOyVlrD8VnnQo-oxt76M3G1mirQTr487fOmgIj4JJlE0VuDUg8HhWBhQhhzSGFd_uGHRECuYIQaQlrMDP0P9zcoyglfNw5e-58QqHp_WS98V_GS4m1LWWvRgGOXl6r-0o6x8eWxlQjZG4lUU5rQO0XPppTvUrHOBrd5swj2GyC48Kc7czWgH_b_8U7JRMZFdFcVey56Fs_-Zdvth1TG-YPIN7bv3Q16ZFQC_S9ga4NSHfFk_825K0asfSslwt6IEGAuKIfSdBamAPjVg=w779-h641-s-no

I decided to skip integration of the stock reverse cam and rather sidestep it with a digital rearview mirror and combined dashcam with it's own rear view camera. This works well as I can now see what's behind me even when I'm laden the the back full or the rear cam blocked by a cargo carrier. The perspective took a bit to get use to.

Amazon product ASIN B09C1QVYHM
Wf568XEG-vaGXbSvCoClohjKsH9GEr3vRVAwEfm4kLQis_RFTGZIR2wgI1KRTIV9dWeY_Gagp4Z843Ak09JOPMB9JCnY0FsdeOdvNge7v0srG_y6SlDbZYXOd1simI-l6fvCPh4SsyinisakR2XIssPs4oRV-19e102ywTf5Hlmu-8EKP0vQoqHcnRu0owKLNub9ectba9ETcY8YOavWmJ9hRNTTa4mw1BhR-rn7kea1_lrhPnXH9Lrr8z9tIqwYQZ4JtDMZDpFQJBvKLO3Fc8Zd8iucsl47c_aSr2AsrtpeswEqYqfCMtAf0GxYkAH0IPfFutpxVeHNcka3IpGs9WtRzjiYWXwX9lgIJWv4vEH6LR3_QeWRt1XCiDnCZIzw0mSZBaxWfMg6gQRV4ft6sxt39bINFxkCr9xiZBDw_28g-fxSoQQr-QC0N8drGiJtfav2v_sTwU0egrQuSXeTvr7MifbiZu-P1Wh7MZRqaC_VGJTeQbA3uxLRxQXQanVr9wFaEccClUA1VCtYy91dIYlKH7Hr1Cmo_MEO7A541cUHoGvxkgToVAJ6Uca45Er9kHVDM0trbt36ncjQwHegw1fPXjjODphEhJOm04Zk5t42bXV2V69OFdf1A8N17eOpRQbBOYOWuivarsYQxapkfP0BaXVmyGBhN38wH7wXIE3iYIV_OeUdsuvzRTmheTnbKXxsyAG4zFg6GAdahVFElc21HjQJ0uZAX7FfIiYtY_oGYR6cLJaBFFvsECer1o2KoprR5wy8y8ofHystqrYtcJ5MyDx-_WW9jYxPRxrlok0_km_PUVzqAVOq8wGabj0YOpObsYlaXlFAmsQpV2M-mNDhD6ruBXB-L4LAAbVGeuFsmfrReG7n9E8ozecSQqTfiYQmijp6w4z_ID-npgmEJXgcPQ09eCGgUAekM4p1MsHVlg=w1294-h974-s-no

Last edited:

Disappointments...​

If there's a major disappointment, perhaps almost being a dealbreaker, it's the brightness of the display. In day time the off-axis brightness is insufficient. Further compounded when using polarized sunglasses. Practically invisible. I have to basically take off my sunglasses, and lean in to see the display.

Glare is also really bad. Though this I was able to resolve by adding an anti-glare film custom cut to size.

Amazon product ASIN B01LEC2WLW
There were recommendations in other forums to perhaps tint the side windows. Maybe an idea I'll explore in some really light tint. I don't like dark tints on the front windows as having visibility off-road at night is important to me too.

Last edited:
When you start up the vehicle, does the music you were playing previously start playing automatically, where it was left off? How long does it take from pushing the ignition button to the sound in the speakers? (Trying to compare vs. stock.) Is it 100% automatic or does it require you to press anything?

The above questions are in relation to my #1 annoyance/deal-breaker with the majority of aftermarket head units.

There's other Tesla HU threads, but creating a new one as I'm trying to consolidate info that I found incredibly hard to do with the unified threads. This is also for the newer generation of Android 11 / Snapdragon 665 / GT6 based HUs, which doesn't have the same framework of the older Android 9 / PX6 / Sergey levels of support. Credit to @baktasht with his documentation and hints that helped me along

Big one up front, the reason to do this is not for Andoid Auto or Apple Carplay. It'll work but that's for lesser displays. I may be wrong, but that level of integration is not necessary when you have a full featured app capability.

Pros
  • 13.6" display
  • GT6 / SG 665 / 8-core architecture is fast with support for apps going forward
  • Full featured Android 11
  • Screen split for apps
  • Fully working A/C controls
  • Fully working steering controls
  • Hazard works
Cons
  • Lack of screen brightness and glare against sun
  • Minor bugs
  • Reverse integration
  • Inclinometer front/rear graphics flipped
  • Lack of install instructions and support
TO BE CONTINUED...
Really good to see you are getting it working. I bet that new Snapdragon based system screams compared to the older PX6 setups. I agree on the lack of support. You kind of have to figure it out on your own, although the chinese suppliers sometimes seem to provide help. That rearview mirror looks pretty slick!! Can you also see the rear reflection in it if the display is off, or is it full time display only? Were you able to get the phone answer/hangup button on the steering wheel to work? On my Gen1 PX6 unit I could never get that function to work, although the next/prev and volume up/down worked.

nice! where did you purchase from?

For support and updates I wonder if the Segret guy is supported these? He had the PX6 Tesla head units on lockdown to the point that the main seller started using him.

When you start up the vehicle, does the music you were playing previously start playing automatically, where it was left off? How long does it take from pushing the ignition button to the sound in the speakers? (Trying to compare vs. stock.) Is it 100% automatic or does it require you to press anything?

The above questions are in relation to my #1 annoyance/deal-breaker with the majority of aftermarket head units.

I haven't driven enough to get into a regular rhythm. The startup is fast however and pretty much online as soon as the car is started. It's more like a modern no waiting tablet so it's just a matter of hitting the Spotify icon to get it playing.

Is it reversible? Can you go back to OEM?

Yes, no splicing was necessary. Plug and pray.

Really good to see you are getting it working. I bet that new Snapdragon based system screams compared to the older PX6 setups. I agree on the lack of support. You kind of have to figure it out on your own, although the chinese suppliers sometimes seem to provide help. That rearview mirror looks pretty slick!! Can you also see the rear reflection in it if the display is off, or is it full time display only? Were you able to get the phone answer/hangup button on the steering wheel to work? On my Gen1 PX6 unit I could never get that function to work, although the next/prev and volume up/down worked.

Yes, it screams. I knew I'd be frustrated with the PX6 speedwise and limited forward app support. Not all is rosy as the PX6 seems to have well established firmware. The suppliers support was touch in go. They were generally responsive and meant well, but several generalized solutions were actually wrong.

For the rearview - yes, can turn off/on with a single tap. It works great as a rearview, but I set it up to view from the interior top of the rear glass so it's not as useful for say lining up a hitchball. I may still work on the GT6 backup camera per your advice. It would be nice if the OEM view button would work on demand.

I haven't tried phone answer/hangup yet. Will try hopefully soon.

nice! where did you purchase from?

Directly on Aliexpress. A bit frustrating as this was the 4th vender I tried. All deviated from advertised pricing, asking for $200-300 additional cost. It seemed legitamate in the end in that our USDM based LXs are "high configuration" models which they have to program for.

If I were to do it again, I'd probably order directly from Phoenix. The extra cost would well be worth the domestic support. Then again, if the documented solutions were rich enough, might be able to better roll our own.

Well, the prices are down quite a bit, around $700 for this from what I saw.

Does yours have an optical or coax digital output @TeCKis300? I'd ask the vendors, but the new AliExpress 'contact seller' / messages app seems to be broken, in both Safari and Chrome for me.

Ive lurked for awhile on all the Tesla HU replace mtn posts and finally moved forward. I appreciate all the info on here.

I ordered from AliExpress as well (TPXINXIN). Around $700 after the same special wires and canbus add on for my 2013 LX570.

Has anyone experienced not getting any power to the amp? I took mine to the local audio/radio store for install, and they couldn’t get cameras (factory) or audio to work. My amp has been on the fritz in hot weather, so I’m wondering if that is the root of the audio. The audio shop states they left it in the shaded/cool garage all day, but I’m not convinced. Going to swing by tomorrow and see what’s going on.

Ive lurked for awhile on all the Tesla HU replace mtn posts and finally moved forward. I appreciate all the info on here.

I ordered from AliExpress as well (TPXINXIN). Around $700 after the same special wires and canbus add on for my 2013 LX570.

Has anyone experienced not getting any power to the amp? I took mine to the local audio/radio store for install, and they couldn’t get cameras (factory) or audio to work. My amp has been on the fritz in hot weather, so I’m wondering if that is the root of the audio. The audio shop states they left it in the shaded/cool garage all day, but I’m not convinced. Going to swing by tomorrow and see what’s going on.

Amp powered on pretty readily without any special power/wiring shenanigans. Your 2013 may be different however.

Check in the Tesla HU configuration. There are some options to turn on/off external amp. There's also output gain settings. Both could have the potential to result in no sound.

Finally got the backup cam integration working here

Now that I've had some time with the unit and the backup cam fully integrated, I'm in a better place to share impressions.

The digital rearview mirror was an okay compromise for rearward visibility but for a tall SUV on 35s, things like hitching up really needs the cam in the lower position. Glad to have that sorted. The interesting thing is the field of view through the stock camera is wider than the cropped in the stock setup.

Overall, I do like the Tesla Style HU. Brings the car into a new era. Works pretty seamlessly and is fast. Workflows are smooth and easy.

I think the sound quality for digital streams has improved which was a nice bonus. Previously with the stock ML system, only CD audio seemed to have the highest quality audio path. BT, was good via cell phone and Grom, but it lost and edge of fidelity. HD Spotify streams have definitely gotten better.

Brightness of the screen is still a disappointment but I'm living with it. May tint the front windows as summer approaches. Been meaning to do that for awhile anyways.

I’m very interested in one of these, maybe when I have more time to tinker.

I installed a car play unit in my Tacoma, and it’s really the only thing I miss about it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom