09/1974 FJ40 F155 Engine Rebuild Inquiry (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi to All,

I'm planning to have my engine rebuilt on my 09/1974 FJ40.

Below is the vin plate on my 1974 FJ40 General Market:

1637481969015.png

It still has the original 1F engine, a late model F155 engine which has the same oiling system with the later 2F engines.

I am able to find the all necessary parts for the rebuild save for the piston and piston rings.

As an alternative approach, is it possible to install standard sized 2F pistons, piston rings and have the block bored and sleeved with 2F standard sized piston liners? I currently have the aforementioned parts as a spare from my 12/1979 FJ40.

Thank you in advance and this thread will serve as a future build thread as well.

Would love to hear the answer to this question from the knowledgeable folks. There are at least two owners of late model 1F engines near me who are inquiring about rebuilds. And asking the same question about 2Fpistons.

I have an 11/1974 and wouldnt mind knowing the answer to this as well.

I also have a 1974 with the F 1.5 engine. I purchased the Premium Master engine rebuild kit from Clegg Engine and Machine. It includes complete gasket set (including seals), Pistons, Rings, Rod bearings, Main bearings, Cam bearings, Camshaft, Lifters and Timing gears.

Clegg Engine and Machine
Orem, UT. 84057
1-888-471-2827 (U.S. only)
801-701-1242

I also have a 1974 with the F 1.5 engine. I purchased the Premium Master engine rebuild kit from Clegg Engine and Machine. It includes complete gasket set (including seals), Pistons, Rings, Rod bearings, Main bearings, Cam bearings, Camshaft, Lifters and Timing gears.

Clegg Engine and Machine
Orem, UT. 84057
801-701-1242
@pigvalve were you pleased with the quality? Japanese bearings? American forged pistons?

While pistons and rings seem to be NLA it looks like 9/72-1/75 used the same ones. That should expand the used market for the pistons at least. Unless you have enough wear to bore the cylinders wouldn't the original pistons work for a rebuild. My 2/73 has a late F with the new oiling system. When I bought it the original engine with it. Was told it ran just needed a rebuild. Vehicle hasn't been driven since at least 1988. Figured I have used parts for a rebuild. Bearing, rings and gaskets are parts I'm worried about.

While pistons and rings seem to be NLA it looks like 9/72-1/75 used the same ones. That should expand the used market for the pistons at least. Unless you have enough wear to bore the cylinders wouldn't the original pistons work for a rebuild. My 2/73 has a late F with the new oiling system. When I bought it the original engine with it. Was told it ran just needed a rebuild. Vehicle hasn't been driven since at least 1988. Figured I have used parts for a rebuild. Bearing, rings and gaskets are parts I'm worried about.
Looks like FJParts still has some 1F gaskets.

@pigvalve were you pleased with the quality? Japanese bearings? American forged pistons?
The pistons are ITM which are cast. The machine shop that I used has used lots of ITM products and has had no complaints, seem to be good quality. The bearings are Mahle Clevite and the gasket set is Felpro. I have not asssembled the engine yet. I am debating sending the cam and lifters to Delta Camshaft to see if they can be refurbished. I would prefer to use as much oem stuff as possible but when it came to pistons I didn't have any other options.

Looks like FJParts still has some 1F gaskets.

That is for the early F135. When I bought my 70 FJ40 for the original owner he gave me all his old cruiser parts. Pretty sure that had a valve over haul gasket kit for his 63 FJ40 he had previously. Could possibly be OEM. Have a couple kits that could be F145 and early 2F.

This has been hashed out here before a number of times, and the general consensus seems to always be that unless you really just want the original 1.5F engine in there (and there are some reasons why you might), rebuilding a later 2F, even if you need to buy a decent donor engine, is probably going to be cheaper and easier to rebuild with Toyota parts.

'MUD is old enough, however, that a lot of those old conversations are 15+ years old, and at least in my area, the flood of people wanting to dump old 2F engines they have lying around that would be good donors has mostly dried up. Rebuilding the 1F with custom pistons and a modern ring setup is totally possible, but not inexpensive. Aftermarket gasket sets are probably ok. Unless they aren't. These are old tractor motors, not race engines, but the legendary durability of these old engines probably wouldn't have been the same if they had originally been built with the Chinese pistons and aftermarket stuff we're forced to rebuild them with today.

I'd love to see what Mosely Motors would do with one of these 1.5F engines, or if their cop motor treatment would really make enough of an improvement to bother. Custom pistons/rings, cam work, head reworked with modern valves, porting/polishing/balancing/blueprinting treatment, Sniper EFI... I'd love to know what the best version of a 1.5F could be in 2022. I'm sure it would cost somewhere in the neighborhood of $10K for the full nuts rebuild.

This has been hashed out here before a number of times, and the general consensus seems to always be that unless you really just want the original 1.5F engine in there (and there are some reasons why you might), rebuilding a later 2F, even if you need to buy a decent donor engine, is probably going to be cheaper and easier to rebuild with Toyota parts.

'MUD is old enough, however, that a lot of those old conversations are 15+ years old, and at least in my area, the flood of people wanting to dump old 2F engines they have lying around that would be good donors has mostly dried up. Rebuilding the 1F with custom pistons and a modern ring setup is totally possible, but not inexpensive. Aftermarket gasket sets are probably ok. Unless they aren't. These are old tractor motors, not race engines, but the legendary durability of these old engines probably wouldn't have been the same if they had originally been built with the Chinese pistons and aftermarket stuff we're forced to rebuild them with today.

I'd love to see what Mosely Motors would do with one of these 1.5F engines, or if their cop motor treatment would really make enough of an improvement to bother. Custom pistons/rings, cam work, head reworked with modern valves, porting/polishing/balancing/blueprinting treatment, Sniper EFI... I'd love to know what the best version of a 1.5F could be in 2022. I'm sure it would cost somewhere in the neighborhood of $10K for the full nuts rebuild.
@C6H12O6 I'd certainly be willing to be the guinea pig, but you can't even get on a waitlist at Mosley at the moment. And it's been that way for a while.

I am going to give the Clegg Engine Kit a try. I have a F engine with a couple of small holes in #2 piston. Finding a low priced late model 2F in decent running condition for a reasonable price has been a no go so far. So I`ll get it running decent again and keep looking for a late model 2F. I think your estimate of $10K for a HO 2F is about half of the starting price check out Red Lines 2F, Pricing starts at 18K for our Freaky H.O. which is out of my limits.

Wow. That's a pretty awesome list, until you get down to the price. Yikes. Starting price is almost five times what I paid for my 40, so I'm probably out.

Clegg Engine and Machine
Orem, UT. 84057
801-701-1242
C245A1A3-F52F-42F4-A868-2431ECDE6C2D.jpeg
Today I’m starting assembly of my 1974 1.5f - as returned from local machin shop. pistons have four rings and I’m not finding any reference as to sequence. Currently I’ve got the three-piece ring on the lower slot. Can anyone please tell me if this is correct?

Probably just the beginning of many more questions

View attachment 2917728 Today I’m starting assembly of my 1974 1.5f - as returned from local machin shop. pistons have four rings and I’m not finding any reference as to sequence. Currently I’ve got the three-piece ring on the lower slot. Can anyone please tell me if this is correct?

Contact Nick at Yoda1perfomance, in Riverbank, Ca. He is their F/2F guru that Georg at Valley Hybrids uses. (I know, I keep peddling them) lol.

Last edited:
View attachment 2917728 Today I’m starting assembly of my 1974 1.5f - as returned from local machin shop. pistons have four rings and I’m not finding any reference as to sequence. Currently I’ve got the three-piece ring on the lower slot. Can anyone please tell me if this is correct?

I got my pistons and rings from Clegg. The rings are marked 1, 2 and 4. The 3 piece rings had no markings so I assumed they are number 3. You have to have good lighting and cheaters to see the marks. Install with the marks upward. I haven't put the pistons in yet so if I'm wrong hopefully someone will correct me.

I got my pistons and rings from Clegg. The rings are marked 1, 2 and 4. The 3 piece rings had no markings so I assumed they are number 3. You have to have good lighting and cheaters to see the marks. Install with the marks upward. I haven't put the pistons in yet so if I'm wrong hopefully someone will correct me.
I've found taking a picture with my cell phone in "macro" mode works at least as good as cheaters.

Contact Nick at Yoda1perfomance, in Riverbank, Ca. He is their F/2F guru that Georg at Valley Hybrids uses. (I know, I keep peddling them) lol.

Terrific! Thank You

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom