07' LX470 VGRS Delete Parts List (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all,

After being at wits end with this VGRS system & going through most, if not all the VGRS issue threads I've noticed a handful of people replacing the lower portion of their steering column with a sub 02' LC to delete the VGRS actuator all together.

I'm looking to see if I can confirm that part number 45220 in the illustration below is the only component that I need or If i need to purchase anything else to do this properly.

It also seems like the general consensus is to unplug the center plug on the VGRS ECU causing only the VGRS light illuminates on the dash, but has this been confirmed to allow all the other systems such as ATRAC VSC ect ect to function normally?

PIC1.gif
PIC2.gif

Thanks all, I appreciate your time

I have the same issue, been dealing with it for about 4 months. My independent shop doesn’t want to touch it. I took it to another shop, they won’t touch it either, but also recommended your solution. Interestingly, they would not consider installing the LC replacement, due to liability issues.

i tried unplugging the center plug on the ECU, but the VSC lights stayed on.

I even checked with Lexus for any recalls, etc, but no luck.

For now, just going to let it ride. Curious what you find out.

Good luck.

Cheers.

-g

I have the same issue, been dealing with it for about 4 months. My independent shop doesn’t want to touch it. I took it to another shop, they won’t touch it either, but also recommended your solution. Interestingly, they would not consider installing the LC replacement, due to liability issues.

i tried unplugging the center plug on the ECU, but the VSC lights stayed on.

I even checked with Lexus for any recalls, etc, but no luck.

For now, just going to let it ride. Curious what you find out.

Good luck.

Cheers.

-g

Interesting, did the shop tell you which codes you have?

I have the C1522 code, with both the center & lower plugs unplugged from the ECU I only get the VGRS light.

My plan is to swap the components with the pre-vgrs LC/LX & just remove the bulb from the gauge cluster.

i don’t remember what codes were found. They were unable to be cleared by tech stream, and pointed to a bad actuator on the column. On another thread, there is a detailed pdf with reset instructions, but my mechanic is reluctant to try the procedure.
It’s quite frustrating, but i‘m living with it for the moment.

Check out this post from @Hidec:

I've been living with this issue for 3 years and after finding out some members were charged $2k to replace the actuator, which by the way didn't fix the issue, I'm living with it.

I disconnected the center plug and only the VGRS is on.

I have codes C1531 and C1289.

Check out this post from @Hidec:

I've been living with this issue for 3 years and after finding out some members were charged $2k to replace the actuator, which by the way didn't fix the issue, I'm living with it.

I disconnected the center plug and only the VGRS is on.

I have codes C1531 and C1289.

Have C1289 also, and no god or man can get it turned off. Details are a little sparse on just how to proceed—"System Malfunction" isn't super helpful in terms of figuring out where to start chasing, and "replace everything lol" is the dealer's response.

I'm way too far gone to care if stock functionality is retained, so I'm curious to see what turns up for OP. @unkn0wnevo — what year is yours? I'm wondering if doing the same thing (but using say, '03 LC column parts) would work.

I read in another post that both the upper and lower shafts are needed. Did OP or anyone else complete this swap?

I ended up biting the bullet and replaced the VGRS unit on the steering column and the ECU. FYI - These units were not cheap to replace.

First step was to replace the VGRS unit, which did not fix the problem. Next the ECU was replaced, which then fixed the problem. My tech says that unfortunately, they are related and most likely both have to be replaced to fully correct the problem.

I was hesitant on spending the $$$, but was tired of the off-center wheel and the VSC and Trac lights on, meaning they were not functioning.

Good luck.

I ended up biting the bullet and replaced the VGRS unit on the steering column and the ECU. FYI - These units were not cheap to replace.

First step was to replace the VGRS unit, which did not fix the problem. Next the ECU was replaced, which then fixed the problem. My tech says that unfortunately, they are related and most likely both have to be replaced to fully correct the problem.

I was hesitant on spending the $$$, but was tired of the off-center wheel and the VSC and Trac lights on, meaning they were not functioning.

Good luck.
did you replace your actuator and ECU you mean? Why not experiment with the Actuator. it has a ribbon part which usually goes bad, you can check if the wire was cut and perhaps resolder it.

My VGRS is also out for past 3 months, I'm just riding it. It went out when my old Rack and Pinion was drained and refilled, it would intermittently turn the steering center by half a turn and would go back straight on another start and then suddenly poof, stopped working after a couple of days.

Yep, replaced both. First replaced the actuator, didn’t solve the problem. Then, replaced the ecu and bingo,
problem solved.

I didn’t do the work, had I’d done by my tech. I’m really not to comfortable with this type of work, and don’t have techstream.

Had to go back about a week later for a final steering wheel adjustment, but all is well. Just back from a 1400 mile trip, wheel is centered, all good ( probably just jinxed myself).

i don’t remember what codes were found. They were unable to be cleared by tech stream, and pointed to a bad actuator on the column. On another thread, there is a detailed pdf with reset instructions, but my mechanic is reluctant to try the procedure.
It’s quite frustrating, but i‘m living with it for the moment.
Can u link this pdf to reset vgrs please

Was trying to recalibrate but these codes are on . 2004 lx . I'm in the same boat with ya'll

20221027_184857.jpg

My vgrs is light is also active as well as vsc . My steering is perfectly centered . No pulling on freeway m been driving it for over 100miles with the light on, and no drive ability issue . It's just annoying seeing those lights on .

I read in another post that both the upper and lower shafts are needed. Did OP or anyone else complete this swap?
I've seen a few people reply in threads that they've done it but I haven't attempted it myself. Instead of bringing the Lexus down to tinker with this I ended up tearing into my other project while I try to confirm a parts list so I at least have something to drive lol.

I did also replace the actuator a while back but the system just seems to get finicky with age. I prefer the way the vehicle drives without VGRS & on one occasion I had to drive about an hour up to Big Bear with my steering wheel completely upside down. New actuator or not that was the last straw for me.

I've seen a few people reply in threads that they've done it but I haven't attempted it myself. Instead of bringing the Lexus down to tinker with this I ended up tearing into my other project while I try to confirm a parts list so I at least have something to drive lol.

I did also replace the actuator a while back but the system just seems to get finicky with age. I prefer the way the vehicle drives without VGRS & on one occasion I had to drive about an hour up to Big Bear with my steering wheel completely upside down. New actuator or not that was the last straw for me.
Whao!!!What!!!! That's crazy . Glad you're safe

Thanks, it was definitely weird. I'm ripping everything out & just pulling the bulb from my gauge cluster once I get to it.
So you're gonna do a vgrs delete? Seems that is the cheapest and better route . . But hey, each to their own. ..

So you're gonna do a vgrs delete? Seems that is the cheapest and better route . . But hey, each to their own. ..

Its really not even about the money, its the piece of mind. I don't really want to be deep in the sticks wondering if my 15 yr old electronics I've been beating up on trail is going to hold up lol.

Its really not even about the money, its the piece of mind. I don't really want to be deep in the sticks wondering if my 15 yr old electronics I've been beating up on trail is going to hold up lol.
Yah I totally understand , I'd do the same . What year u got?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom