07 FJ (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello All,

Quick question. I have been mostly looking at an 80 or 100 but came across a decent 07 FJ. Just under 150k. So my question is what should I look for and are there issues with lifting them or are they capable enough stock. What size tires can you run with stock suspension? Thanks

Just general maintenance items... same check as anything for rust underneath.

Early trucks could have slight sheet metal tears on the inner fender area (under the hood), but its not super common. Any other issues are probably fleshed out since its got 150K on it.

They can be plenty capable. Make sure it has the rear locker.

285s fit stock.

Feel free to link it if there is one.

Some early auto trans 2007s have a bad rear diff. ring gear I think.

I wish I could recall more, It is worth looking into the details. I am worn out from a baby and work this week and cant recall what the dates or specific issue is but they corrected it mid year I believe

The rust isnt to bad on them if you are not getting from a rust area where they salt the roads. Mine still looks as new as the day it left the dealer on the underside. But I live where they dont salt roads.

The windshields are rock magnets and unfortunately people are starting to see leaks around the roof racks or windshields if they have had work. Most of the roof rack leaks can be traced back to someone taking one off and putting it back on then they start seeing headliner wet spots. If one has it people have success fixing with silicone around bolt holes.

I had an old neighbor that drove around 8am to 6pm around just in town never turning the motor off all day and chain smoking from the front seat for over 10years. He put 300k HARD miles on his 07 and had only minor issues like a seat cushion and a stuck brake caliper. They are good vehicles

before you buy shift the t-case into 4 low and activate the rear locker to make sure it engages. Sometimes the 4low sensors dont connect like they are suppose to and the computer doesnt know the truck is in 4 low and the locker wont engage unless it thinks its in 4low. It can most likely be fixed for free if it has it but dont let seller know that.

Lifting IFS is limited to 3in or less without seeing issues like broken cv joints, cv angles and ball joints having issues. After my last tacoma had issues messing up cvs from a 3 in lift I cranked the coilovers to lower it to just 2in ;oft and it was some better. The non stock angles strain the parts in ways stock doesnt. Solid axle trucks dont have that problem as much with lifts.

Ive been happy with my 07 and think about selling it sometimes but honestly would miss it and with the cost of nice vehicles my pocket book is better off with me just keeping it in the garage instead of getting something else. Mine is not my daily driver. If I had to daily drive on the interstate very much I would look at another vehicle like a runner or 200 or lexus with a better windshield design

If you plan to wheel it, get a lift. It may not be neccessary but it does help a lot if you plan to run some of the more difficult trails.

And it does look better.

Later 2007's allow the rear diff lock and altrac to function at the same time.

Early 2007 's however, can be hacked to allow both.

Make sure you have both the electric rear locker and altrac. Not all FJC's come with both.

If you plan to wheel it, get a lift. It may not be neccessary but it does help a lot if you plan to run some of the more difficult trails.

And it does look better.

Later 2007's allow the rear diff lock and altrac to function at the same time.

Early 2007 's however, can be hacked to allow both.

Make sure you have both the electric rear locker and altrac. Not all FJC's come with both.

I think some people figured out they could purchase the atrac button and the wiring harness had a spot for it behind a plug blank on the dash

I don’t know what models it applies to but I remember people posting the best cheap mod they could do was adding it

Last edited:
Back in the beginning of the FJC, the Toyota Trail Teams went to a lot of events to show off the FJC. One of the things they did show was the ATRAC. They drove up a loose sandy hill until the wheels spun and lost traction, stopped and then pushed the button. The FJC drove up the rest of the way without spinning a wheel. We got to test drive them too.

Funny, somewhere there is a picture of my 55 having to help get a FJC unstuck.

The Trail Teams attended 2 Coal Mine Cruiser Classics host by the Gotham City Land Cruisers.

The Trail Teams were also at the Yankee Toys Fall Gathering.

CMCC 2006

CMCC2006 026.jpg

CMCC2006 094.jpg

CMCC2006 092.jpg

The FG 2006

FG2006 014.jpg

The guys from CA had a bit of trouble with the tight trails in the East.

To be fair, my HJ60 and a friends 80 did go thru the trees. I think the FJC spotter was not used to dealing with tight trails. The driver was just following directions.

I don't remember why the other FJC needed a tug to get unstuck. Just thought it was fun that a truck that was 30 years older had to help the new guy.

And while I would love to take my 55 on the Rubicon Trail, the drive to CA would be difficult. However, my FJC has done the wagon run twice on the Rubicon.

untitled-0795.jpg

I'm not sure how my 55 or me would do on the trail.

I would be very careful and look at the frame for rust issues...actually rot issues. I have an 07, built in 06, and have owned it since new. 165K on the odo and have had no major issues until now ... the frame is rotting beneath the body. I'm pretty good keeping after my cars...and do maintain each well above the average...but this is a cancer and it's tough to stop...even with regular washes. It seem like it's galvanic ...dissimilar metals in the frame reacting to the water and air.

I do live in the Northeast...but that shouldn't be the main cause..if you're washing and maintaining these vehicles.

I have ordered new front and rear cross members to replace the Swiss cheese there now ...and it will be going in for passenger side rail repair next week.

Know that Toyota has abandoned these trucks, no consideration for frame issues like the Tacoma and Tundra, so if there's an issue like I have, you're on your own.

I have owned 6 Land Cruisers from old to most recent and have never seen this kind of rot...Still have a 95 and a 70 with no issues.

So I am scratching my head on this truck...the only thing i can say is that Toyota is using absolute crap metal for the frames...or they're getting poked by their suppliers....either way it a problem.

I'd never thought I'd say this...but...This may be the last Toyota for me.

1598372421970.png

I'm pretty good keeping after my cars...and do maintain each well above the average...but this is a cancer and it's tough to stop...even with regular washes. It seem like it's galvanic ...dissimilar metals in the frame reacting to the water and air.

I do live in the Northeast...but that shouldn't be the main cause..if you're washing and maintaining these vehicles.
No, you have not keeped this well. You have not maintained the frame at all, you have let it rust through! Washing is nothing, there is a lot of hidden spots etc. where salt eats the frame and you can’t reach your wash there. You need to keep eye on the frame rust spots and PREVENT it from spreading.

You could have almost rust free frame by now if you’d been sprayed Fluid Film or similar every summer inside and outside the frame.

I agree with you...But there are places you just can't get to....

I would keep on eye on yours ...and yes use lots of Fluid Film...wished I had.

Having said that ...I believe these frames are made from less pure metal than touted...perhaps the bean counters at Toyota have made it so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom