07-09 Gauge Illumination (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@Onur please correct me, but I believe the metal dash in older and newer trucks are the same with the same bulbs. Only differences may be the dimmer if your comparing a 24v to 12v truck?

Last edited:
@Onur please correct me, but I believe the metal dash in older and newer trucks are the same with the same bulbs. Only differences may be the dimmer if your comparing a 24v to 12v truck?
1575605725776.png

This is the updated dash I'm talking about. It may have come pre 2007 and post 1999. I'm not exactly sure when the digital ODO came, but I believe it was the same timing as that.

Hello,

That instrument panel/dash came with 1999 - 2009 model year trucks.

All the sensors are electronic and the speedometer cable is not connected directly to it. The latter feature makes it easy to work on.

I may have a picture of it at night but I have to look into the archive. When illuminated, the panel has a green color that is easy to see at night.

If I remember correctly, there are some five T10 bulbs with a greenish cap, not including the indicators, and some six to eight W5W bulbs, depending on model and market. The speedometer bulb has a green cap and burns more often than the rest.

I have replaced the W5Ws with LEDs on mine. Recommended upgrade. I have yet to do the same with the T10s, mostly because I like the way they light the panel.

If you succeed at a swap, please show us. That would be a nice upgrade for pre-1999 models.

Juan

Hello,

That instrument panel/dash came with 1999 - 2009 model year trucks.

All the sensors are electronic and the speedometer cable is not connected directly to it. The latter feature makes it easy to work on.

I may have a picture of it at night but I have to look into the archive. When illuminated, the panel has a green color that is easy to see at night.

If I remember correctly, there are some five T10 bulbs with a greenish cap, not including the indicators, and some six to eight W5W bulbs, depending on model and market. The speedometer bulb has a green cap and burns more often than the rest.

I have replaced the W5Ws with LEDs on mine. Recommended upgrade. I have yet to do the same with the T10s, mostly because I like the way they light the panel.

If you succeed at a swap, please show us. That would be a nice upgrade for pre-1999 models.

Juan
Thank you Juan! That is great info, you are right, it seems that the style change was in 99, but when I check EPC, I keep finding a mechanical speedo cable from 99-06, however maybe it varies from certain models (I was looking at troopy). Anyways, I do appreciate your help, and I hope the illumination improvement will make it a worth while swap!

Hello,

I think the speedometer cable connects to a pickup but I am not sure on this. This is why the whole assembly comes out easily.

I found a picture of the panel at night. It is easy to read, in my opinion.

FZJ71_1a.JPG

Juan

Hello,

I think the speedometer cable connects to a pickup but I am not sure on this. This is why the whole assembly comes out easily.

I found a picture of the panel at night. It is easy to read, in my opinion.

View attachment 2150761

Juan
Juan this is perfect! Thank you! That is some great illumination!
The good news is that the speed sensor use in the electronic speed sensor, is the same as the one used in most USA spec vehicles in the 90s like 4Runner. So parts availability will be easy and cheap for the sensor, and then the only thing to work out is the 12v power for them (my truck is 24v originally but the newer style was all 12v from what I’ve found)

digital odometers came from the slight facelift on 2002 up until 2009, I believe.

Pre 2002 you'll find the green light, small tach dash and after 2009 they use the plastic dash.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom