06 with AHC and clacking DS front end sound that goes away in High Mode (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.youtube.com
Those of you saltier than I am - can you shed some insight before I go about replacing a bunch of stuff? I have an 06LC with the AHC that just turned 100K miles. Stock AHC suspension but I do have 35" tires. I recently developed a clackety-clack sound on the DS front when traversing bumpy roads ie washboard etc. I noticed it goes away if I am in High mode ... at first I thought - OK this must be the hydraulic ram/shock bushing ... but it looks in good shape. I noticed the bushings in the sway bar end links look old and dry with some cracks. But what is throwing me is the high mode complete silence of the clacking ... I am now thinking upper control arm ball joint. Need to lift the tire off the ground and hammer on sh*# with a rubber mallet. Could it be something else that would go away in high mode? Has anyone else experienced this? LCA bushings etc don't make sense as I would imagine the load on the lower control arms doesn't change in high mode?? Help this boot out!

There are a couple threads on “pop” noises coming from that area.

On my phone so I’m not gonna dig them up for you but you should be able to find them.

Cliff notes: could be any of the following:
LCA bushings, loose lug nuts, sway bar bushings, differential bushing, UCA and LCA ball joints, diff drop bolts, shock bushings.

Do you hear this noise when turning up hill, turning sharply, or braking abruptly? That’s when i hear it and it’s most likely my LCA no2 bushing (the one that’s in the frame)

I'd guess a sway bar bushing or control arm/ball joint. The high-mode silence is perhaps just a different direction of stress that masks the issue.

The rubber in those joints wears out. If you haven't already replaced the suspension rubber, the clack is the suspension's way of saying "Hi, I'm old. Put me out to pasture."

Control arms front and rear, sway bar bushings, shock cushions top (two of them per shock) and bottom. Sway bar is cheap and relatively easy. Start there and work up to the control arms and shock cushions until the noise vanishes!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom