06 Side curtain airbags deploy= It’s totaled (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

More

5F40B540-0A53-4257-B090-F63CADF74843.jpeg

686FE108-9D21-4FF9-B491-6DE8CDF68915.jpeg

AF50052A-10EA-407B-A347-8AD6404ABD83.jpeg

I'd find a good PDR guy and pull the fender dent out. I realize it broke the paint, but I'd touch that up and roll with it for a "camper" truck. Good excuse to swap out the front bumper and buy sliders too.

Take the $18.5k. Be done with it. Find a new cruiser. You don't have to fix anything. You don't have a salvage vehicle to deal with. Take it out of the equation.
This man is correct

Technically, I’ve just purchased an affordable, hopefully reliable option for now.
I haven’t given insurance an answer yet.
Decided either way, this gives me a ride for now so I’m not rushed to find a replacement.

Dam good job... Truck looks cleaner than mine. LOL

Seems like a mistake to not take all the money, and let the company dictate the future value of it. You cut it in half with a phone call and now, with the rest of its value on the line, you're letting the insurance company tell you what that value is.
Spread that over the mdx curve for a certain time frame and compare. Whichever is the money positive, or less - move, should be your move.
I've never been in your spot and I feel for you. Personal circumstances dictate a lot of seemingly irrational moves. Whatever is best. good luck

Update Major: NOT totaled

Evidently my adjuster is a fan. He’s called back 3 times since this went down. Each time with a higher settlement amount. I haven’t been trying to negotiate. I’ve just laid out the facts.
Today he called and stated he’s spent hours shopping for these. He sent a few examples of similar vehicles to his management.
The value was increased enough to keep the title original and the settlement check is in the mail. For a very good amount.
So they’re paying for my commuter with more than enough left over to fix my truck correctly.

how cool is that

Fantastic news brother, glad to hear insurance companies aren't jerking people around. I've been with Geico for 20 years, never once have i made any claim, i hope they take care of me when the time comes.

BTW how steep of an off camber did it take to deploy the airbags? I always turn mine off when i hit the trails.

Evidently my adjuster is a fan. He’s called back 3 times since this went down. Each time with a higher settlement amount. I haven’t been trying to negotiate. I’ve just laid out the facts.

Pretty impressive! Did you mention the name of your insurance company in the thread? May be time for me to get some new quotes if they treated you that well.

Today he called and stated he’s spent hours shopping for these. He sent a few examples of similar vehicles to his management.
The value was increased enough to keep the title original and the settlement check is in the mail. For a very good amount.
So they’re paying for my commuter with more than enough left over to fix my truck correctly.

how cool is that

That is awesome. Keep that insurance guy for life. Great deal. It seems appropriate that you wouldn't total the car over that. Well done!

Sweet deal! Now the hard part. There is such an emotional attachment to these rigs. After I started commuting more, I got a Highlander Hybrid to replace the 11 MPG I was getting in my 2000. It's a total chick car, and even in the Limited trim, no where near as nice as my 2000 Cruiser was. However, after commuting in it for several months, and neglecting the Cruiser (had to break out the trickle charger), I found it easier to sell the Cruiser. I also still have the wife's '04, so there's that... But at the end of the day, they're all just cars. Even Land Cruisers. They WILL hit the point of too expensive to repair to justify it, they WILL depreciate over the long haul, and you WILL have to move on. You likely aren't old enough to have bought your "last car" yet, so don't treat this one like it is. Anyway, that's my thoughts on it...

Sweet deal! Now the hard part. There is such an emotional attachment to these rigs. After I started commuting more, I got a Highlander Hybrid to replace the 11 MPG I was getting in my 2000. It's a total chick car, and even in the Limited trim, no where near as nice as my 2000 Cruiser was. However, after commuting in it for several months, and neglecting the Cruiser (had to break out the trickle charger), I found it easier to sell the Cruiser. I also still have the wife's '04, so there's that... But at the end of the day, they're all just cars. Even Land Cruisers. They WILL hit the point of too expensive to repair to justify it, they WILL depreciate over the long haul, and you WILL have to move on. You likely aren't old enough to have bought your "last car" yet, so don't treat this one like it is. Anyway, that's my thoughts on it...

The hard part!
Just let me enjoy the moment! 😂

Now I have time to come to those terms on my own time.
That’s where I was on my 60 after owning it for 18 years. It sat parked and didn’t get the love it deserved. Moving up to the 100 made sense with a young family and slightly nervous wife. My kids are now 8 and 10. This seems like the perfect season to have a 3rd rig for weekend adventures.

Fantastic news brother, glad to hear insurance companies aren't jerking people around. I've been with Geico for 20 years, never once have i made any claim, i hope they take care of me when the time comes.

BTW how steep of an off camber did it take to deploy the airbags? I always turn mine off when i hit the trails.

it was a pretty decent drop. I’m not sure. My wife is suggesting always disabling the airbags when they aren’t in the vehicle🤔

BECE6EF2-C6CA-4B9F-9891-F6F335AB491F.jpeg

6D7B5BDB-6BC0-4342-850F-CF489D3C3325.jpeg

Well I’m happy to see the end result but damn that’s a mean turn! I could easily see how that happened. Glad to see it didn’t end up worse with injuries! Think about it though, there are very few vehicles that would survive a drop into a ditch like that and then keep driving as if nothing ever happened...besides the airbag thing of course hahah.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom