06 LX470 Towing Update (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I was reading the threads this morning about the CEL on the 06-07s and it seemed like most folks have changed the PCV valve. So I got my wrenches out and decided to check if it was clogged, stuck or dirty. I found that the old hose was brittle and cracked. I found that the valve was a little dirty and had some oil in it. Also it was leaving air through at low pressures or at high angles. I cleaned it up and took it to the car store for a new hose. They had an ASIN pcv valve in stock, so I swapped it out. After driving around, I still have the CEL on. Fun stuff!!

Last edited:
So here's a recap of what's transpired since shutting down under load while towing and subsequent CEL P0420 P0430

1. New OEM Fuel Pump at the dealership
2. Cataclean as directed
3. Italian tune up (4krpm 5 to 10 min)
4. Exhaust bolts tightened up ( potential leak)
5. 4 new Denso Oxy Sensors
6. PCV valve and Hose
7. Fuel Filter
8. Spark Plugs
9. Intake air filter
10. MAF cleaning

Next up will be some heat shielding for the fuel lines.

What else do you think I should try for clearing the codes? Perhaps the CATs need replaced as the dealership suggests?

Last edited:
I had CEL P0420 P0430, pretty much did all what you did and the last step was to replace the catalytic converter (I went OEM).

Another “workaround” esp if your state requires smog and vehicle has to pass that is the O2 sensor adapter. I had the same problem for an 04 LC from a friend and he doesn’t want to spend anymore on the truck so we made this experiment on his. Surprisingly, it worked. The only regret I have is I wished I tried that first. Lol.

So here's a recap of what's transpired since shutting down under load while towing and subsequent CEL P0420 P0430...

What else do you think I should try for clearing the codes? Perhaps the CATs need replaced as the dealership suggests?

Not to beat a dead horse.... Have you confirmed that fuel quality is not an issue? Cats rarely go bad without a root cause... unburned fuel getting to them, coolant contamination, long idle times without reaching operating temps. etc.

^^^ I've been driving like 3-4 hours a day this past week and have filled up 2x now since the towing events etc. I am filling up with mid grade 89 as I normally do.

I am getting better fuel mileage. I'm averaging like 15 mpg with some stop and go and 45mph back road driving in the countryside.

20220610_113921.jpg

Last edited:
Have you cleaned the MAF sensor recently? A dirty MAF can make it run at the wrong AFR. Also clean the TB if you have a rough idle.
Well a few months ago (March) I did clean the MAF and TB. I also changed the air filter, which I checked this morning and it was relatively clean. I was pretty gentle with that MAF when cleaning it.

Did you make sure all the hoses going to and from the air box are in place? I know there is a really small one easy to miss.

Did you make sure all the hoses going to and from the air box are in place? I know there is a really small one easy to miss.
I did, but I will check that again. I know I'm pretty anal about checking 3x, so I should probably check again Lol

Update on this:

I've been driving around and hoping this would clear up on its own, but that's not happening. So I stopped in at one of the aftermarket muffler shops in town and they confirmed that the passenger side CAT is running way hot.

So I watched some "Clean your CAT" videos on YouTube and thought maybe that might work on this old LX. So I got my wrenches out, removed the oxy sensor, aft exhaust connection, and gave it a good cleaning. So...a few more miles and that didn't work!!!

The light is still on.

I'm thinking that some new CATs need to get coming in the mail.

It seems Factory parts are available, but $$$$.

I noticed that there are US made DEC cats available on fleabay, do you guys have experience with those??

Does Walker make CAT for the 06_07?

Thanks

Update on this:

I've been driving around and hoping this would clear up on its own, but that's not happening. So I stopped in at one of the aftermarket muffler shops in town and they confirmed that the passenger side CAT is running way hot.

So I watched some "Clean your CAT" videos on YouTube and thought maybe that might work on this old LX. So I got my wrenches out, removed the oxy sensor, aft exhaust connection, and gave it a good cleaning. So...a few more miles and that didn't work!!!

The light is still on.

I'm thinking that some new CATs need to get coming in the mail.

It seems Factory parts are available, but $$$$.

I noticed that there are US made DEC cats available on fleabay, do you guys have experience with those??

Does Walker make CAT for the 06_07?

Thanks
Hey! Nice meeting you in South Carolina! .. It’s rare to see another Avion… rarer still to be paired with a cruiser.
Hope you resolve your gremlins.. I’ve read through this thread and you have tried about everything but the cats..
We are on our downhill swing back to California.. In Tennessee tonite. Soon the green weeds will turn brown. But stopping in Colorado and the Tetons.. Take care!

C4677A9D-46E8-4FF4-9DCF-F61E04EA593A.jpeg

5B4DEE0E-23EE-4D04-AEC6-ED9269123DC7.jpeg

60C3502A-A40D-4AF4-AC1E-072CB2180765.jpeg

A011B03F-3AA3-4CC9-9CCB-FA55BCC666BE.jpeg

D232A95E-2425-4F8E-8C11-59BD122EB292.jpeg

^^ Yes, it was great talking to you, and awesome to see another Avion paired up with the LC traveling across the country!!

CEL wont clear itself. You need to reset it with an obd2 scanner then take it for a drive.

I'm so glad this is a current thread. Been looking t RV's and I've heard that the 100 can't tow crap basically, but I refuse to believe that. It's too robust of a vehicle. Underpowered for sure, but I'd rather put money into performance bumps like headers/exhaust than buying a motorhome... which i still might if the price was right but then I'd have to still tow a vehicle!

Anyway, to your gremlins @wengejor first, your engine light needs to be reset man, LOL. Stop doing stuff and just reset it and see if it comes back. If it does, the next thing I'd do if I were you is put some premium in that thing. That's all i run in mine. My manual says I have to, but I have a 2001. I know in my Dodge Magnum, it requires mid grade, if I put regular in there, or even some bad PREMIUM, I'll get an engine light thrown.
This should solve your problems I think.

Finally, it's good to read you're towing a 30 footer! That's exactly what just popped up for me.
Lastly, pics of the Unimog please!

I run my 2002 LX470 on 87 octane even while towing. Runs great. I tow a 4,000lb unloaded trailer.
I do agree that by today's standards our 100's are not all that powerful but they definitely are reliable and a pleasure to own and drive.

^^ thanks for the posts here. I did get myself an OBD2 reader and have been resetting the CEL and testing. Unfortunately the P0420 P0430 codes keep coming up. I will try the premium fuel and report back, but I believe the CAT on the passenger side is blocked up.

The 100 series can tow.

Some unimog pics:

Unimog 411 2018 parade.jpg

20211203_155153.jpg

Here's an L1116 truck with an Unimog. Lol
20181123_121029.jpg

^^ thanks for the posts here. I did get myself an OBD2 reader and have been resetting the CEL and testing. Unfortunately the P0420 P0430 codes keep coming up. I will try the premium fuel and report back, but I believe the CAT on the passenger side is blocked up.

The 100 series can tow.

Some unimog pics:

View attachment 3046859

View attachment 3046861
Did you say you have replaced the O2 sensors? I replaced my sensors and reset the ecu with obd2 scan tool and its been good.

Yup, replaced all O2 sensors. I've put 2 tanks through since that swap and CEL keeps coming up. The 06-07 has VVT engine and it has a different CAT setup.

All, I wanted to update the thread here.

I've now replaced the CATS with the DEC option. This cleared the P0420 code, but the P0430 was still popping up periodically (cold start).

I noticed that my truck would kinda stumble at idle and had choppy throttle response in neutral, just revving it in the driveway, so I decided to change the coils. I went with the Denso.

I drove around all evening last night with no codes and it's running smoother with the new coils. This morning on cold start, its giving me P0430 bank 2 along with P1445 stuck valve on the secondary air system.

So, I suspect the air injection system being stuck or broken has been causing damage to the CATs and codes for the CATs are really just due to the injection system failures.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom