‘06 Family hauler (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

RoaringFork

SILVER Star
Threads
100 series mudders,

I’m pleased to say I’ve joined the ranks by adding a new cruiser to the driveway. When my wife told me she was pregnant again, I was elated! Finally we can get another cruiser!! She currently has a diesel Audi Q5, which we both really enjoy(so much so it’ll be my new daily), but can’t comfortably handle 2 adults, 2 kiddos in car seats, a dog, and everything that comes along with the kids.

I work at an Audi dealership(service dept) and asked my favorite salesman to keep an eye out for an ‘06 or newer cruiser being traded in. I figured my price range would land me in the late 100 series or early 200 series. A couple months later I get a text telling me an ‘06 cruiser is getting traded. It was on the lot while their new car deal was in the works and a brief inspection looked promising... silver, 160k, no rust, interior and exterior near mint, t-belt sticker says done @150k, brakes looked new. Well, sales couldn’t make a deal and off the cruiser went - dammit! Another couple months went by and guess what... the same cruiser was back on the lot and this time the sales dept worked out a deal. Now I had to ask the GM to sell it to me. He knew, and I knew that it would sell for retail, and he knew that I knew he knew. He said let’s run it through the shop(inspect and estimate repairs) and he’d give me a price. I asked if he cared if I did the used inspection(if someone else did it their pay would increase the amount the dealer had into it). He agreed. There were only a few items needing attention, heater tees, inner cv boots and an AHC flush, some small trim pieces were missing, no big deal. I gave him the estimate and he said I’ll let you know. Later that day my phone rings, I’m nervous, I don’t want to be let down with a bad price... he says $15,888. Do you want to buy it. As calmly as possible I reply yes sir, we’ll do the deal tomorrow... And that was that, here it is in my driveway post heater tees...
65902143-97FC-445F-B422-667976FA54EA.jpeg

My wife loves it, so does our son, and dog!

Thanks for reading! See y’all on the trail!

Jason

Last edited:
Thanks @Eddy04,

I’ll show her pics of your 100 for some inspiration!

Thanks @LongHaulCruiser

I’ll happily take some more next week... Its currently at the aspen airport awaiting our return home, we’re visiting the out-laws in Dallas(when else would I have time to post a new to me vehicle thread). When I do, I’ll edit out the 80 to keep it forum specific... I do have a pic of it in the shop with the box, but it’s not as flattering, here it is anyway.
5ABA4E18-3870-4D76-B719-114D8930A0BD.jpeg

Thanks @Hokie LX

Yes, the auto industry has plenty of perks, especially being in the service dept. No offense salesmen, I ask them for help once or twice a year, they ask me for help once or twice a day. I don’t bug them every time a car I might want rolls through, I wait till the car I need comes through. Good things come to those who wait...

Very, very cool rig and even better story. Love how it all came together. I do have to take issue with somebody trading in a 100 for an Audi, but it worked out great for you so I'm down with it. lol

Very, very cool rig and even better story. Love how it all came together. I do have to take issue with somebody trading in a 100 for an Audi, but it worked out great for you so I'm down with it. lol

Thanks @CloudCity

Some people just don’t get it...

we’ve loved the Q5, specifically the diesel. It’s given us 85k miles of faithful service, I’m glad it’s staying... can’t beat 420ft/lbs and 30+mpg.

The 100’s size, body on frame, and reliability allows me rest easy, knowing my precious cargo is safe.

DC323CCA-04BB-4A80-A9D4-B44F1A2820B7.jpeg

BC428A3A-59AA-4171-B428-30A3ED49F289.jpeg

9B31EB56-96A6-4FD9-B76D-2377F750E33E.jpeg

Thanks @CBeckFJ

Yes, I got a great price for sure... the boss man came through for me, don’t tell him, but I would have paid more!!!

I’m grateful I have a boss that won’t try and make all the profit he could from an employee... there is money for the dealer in every car deal even if it shows a loss or breaks even. I’m fine with the dealer making some money and still giving me a great price. Every body wins!

Last edited:
100 series mudders,

I’m pleased to say I’ve joined the ranks by adding a new cruiser to the driveway. When my wife told me she was pregnant again, I was elated! Finally we can get another cruiser!! She currently has a diesel Audi Q5, which we both really enjoy(so much so it’ll be my new daily), but can’t comfortably handle 2 adults, 2 kiddos in car seats, a dog, and everything that comes along with the kids.

I work at an Audi dealership(service dept) and asked my favorite salesman to keep an eye out for an ‘06 or newer cruiser being traded in. I figured my price range would land me in the late 100 series or early 200 series. A couple months later I get a text telling me an ‘06 cruiser is getting traded. It was on the lot while their new car deal was in the works and a brief inspection looked promising... silver, 160k, no rust, interior and exterior near mint, t-belt sticker says done @150k, brakes looked new. Well, sales couldn’t make a deal and off the cruiser went - dammit! Another couple months went by and guess what... the same cruiser was back on the lot and this time the sales dept worked out a deal. Now I had to ask the GM to sell it to me. He knew, and I knew that it would sell for retail, and he knew that I knew he knew. He said let’s run it through the shop(inspect and estimate repairs) and he’d give me a price. I asked if he cared if I did the used inspection(if someone else did it their pay would increase the amount the dealer had into it). He agreed. There were only a few items needing attention, heater tees, inner cv boots and an AHC flush, some small trim pieces were missing, no big deal. I gave him the estimate and he said I’ll let you know. Later that day my phone rings, I’m nervous, I don’t want to be let down with a bad price... he says $15,888. Do you want to buy it. As calmly as possible I reply yes sir, we’ll do the deal tomorrow... And that was that, here it is in my driveway post heater tees...
View attachment 1828922

My wife loves it, so does our son, and dog!

Thanks for reading! See y’all on the trail!

Jason

Wow! You're a lucky man! I also work at a dealership (sales), our dealership would've retail the vehicle and make as much gross as possible off it. $15,888 is a STEAL! (Or for me it is, I paid 12k for a 2000 w/ 159k w/ a leaking steering rack. Third party sale)

I found mine through a good friend that manages a Dealership and he took it in trade and hid it from his salesmen for me too see before letting those Vultures try to snag it for themselves!
He called me from the truck on his way over to my shop and told me to meet him there right away.
I did and we drove it and crawled around it for a few hours and I committed to buying and would not even pay for them to detail it and charge me for the crappy job they do.

This is the way to get one if you can and if they will work with you but there are so few good cruisers and more potential buyers that I also understand why dealers prefer not to go this way.

I know I git lucky with mine and you sure seemed to too!

Congrats!

What roof carrier is that, THULE and how easy is to use it?

Yes it’s Thule... I got it from a friend so I’m not sure the model. Maybe someone with more Thule experience can tell me where to find the model number...

Yes, it’s easy to use... it has spring loaded joints on each end that hold it up when open and down when closed. The only advice I could give on using a box is: keep it light and don’t put things up there you don’t want to freeze. For example driving with a small suitcase up there in the winter = frozen shampoo...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom