0453 code (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Soooo, having to smog my vehicle...I live in California . Getting an 0453; evaporative emission system pressure sensor/switch high input. What could it be? My truck runs super solid...just completed new Downstream o2 sensors and new Emission Control Canister Purge Solenoid (valve 1). Charcoal cannister was replaced at 125k and truck only has 150 on it now. Entire fuel line from cap to tank and lines are new. Any help is appreciated.

Anyone?

Bueller?

What year truck? Do you have a copy of FSM? Page DI-222 starts the diagnostic info regarding evap DTC’s (in the 04 manual.) There is a diagnostic on the pressure switch- depending on MY its either on top of the tank or on the CC in engine compt.

The fact that you have had fuel lines replaced and some VSV’s may point to a problem with one of those newly installed components, might be worth having a second look at the recent work too.

So without knowing your history of why you replaced everything it's hard to know. Obviously this is a big leak in your system.

I would make a diy smoke detector and start finding out where are you getting the leak from. And the fix that.

Btw so tell us why u changed out everything? You maybe throwing parts at this problem instead of troubleshooting this step by step.

I have a Toyota T100 truck that was giving be a p0450 and p0441 code. After lots of reading on the forums I just swapped the VPS and it solved the issue no sweat. So I would take evap step by step to figure out where to start.

Btw b4 smoke testing you may want to try a soapy water and spray around the evap charcoal canister to see if you have a leak. But if you dont find it around their you may have to go down the smoke detector route.

Also if you do find a leak then get some epoxy (There is a Toyota brand) or I am sure any epoxy would work to close the hole. BTW it can be that you have multiple holes in your system so be prepared to fix an initial hole but still not fully fix the issue.

- where's you get the charcoal canister? new or used?

Additionally, I would look up on Google this code with "Toyota 4runner/Tundra/Tacoma p0453". or Honestly any Toyota car after 2000. They all should have very similar evap systems (Toyota dosent need to reinvent the wheel for the LC/LX) and see what that brings up. As I said I had a T100 but the 4runner/Tacoma forums helped in finding out the issue.

Last edited:
Also here's an easy try to see if this fixes the issue...probably not but worth a try. Youtube

So much gold thank you. Swapped the charcoal cannister when I bought the truck at 120k miles as many of the rubber hoses were shot (ne vehicle) and didn’t want to have to worry about it later. The fuel lines was due to a gas tank leak due to rust. It was easier and cleaner to pull the entire chain from neck to tank from the donor vehicle.

I assume you no fortune has been spent trying to chase this problem yet. My truck runs well and my second kid arrives in August so I was simply trying to find the easy button/diy tricks to get it to pass smog for another two years. Seriously Appreciate the surge of replies so much, you guys are the s***!

Okay so I looked up code p0453 in the FSM. its mostly have to do with your vapor pressure sensor. So I would scratch my first suggestion on smoke test

here's what I copied from the FSM page 461 onward. please check the FSM for full t-shooting steps.

---------

P0452 and P0453 The ECM sensor pressure in the fuel tank using the vapor pressure sensor. The ECM supplies the sensor with a regulated 5 V reference voltage and the sensor returns a signal voltage between 0.5 V and 4.5 V according to the pressure level in the fuel tank. If the output voltage of the vapor pressure sensor is out of normal range, the ECM will determine that there is a malfunction in the sensor or sensor circuit. When pressure indicated by the vapor pressure sensor deviates below -3.999 kPa (-30 mmHg, -1.18 in.Hg) or above 1.999 kPa (15 mmHg, 0.59 in.Hg), the ECM interprets this as a malfunction in the vapor pressure sensor. The ECM will turn on the MIL and a DTC will be set

Yeahhhhhh, About that I need to get myself a manual. Thanks for the follow up. My truck is a 2003. Does the vps going bad something that generally happens or are the other things that could be making it show that the voltage is running high?

Aah okay buddy.. first things first.. download the darn FSM. here's the link. LC/LX FSM download. Then go into the diagnostics section and search.

Here- relevant FSM pages for diagnostic process

Attachments

• Diagnostics-268-273.pdf
    128.8 KB · Views: 186
Yeahhhhhh, About that I need to get myself a manual. Thanks for the follow up. My truck is a 2003. Does the vps going bad something that generally happens or are the other things that could be making it show that the voltage is running high?
Read the document I linked above- it describes the enabling conditions. Worst case is a new VPS- (kind of spendy for what it is)
part number 89461-0C010 for my 05,- check against model year application for your 03.

Read the document I linked above- it describes the enabling conditions. Worst case is a new VPS- (kind of spendy for what it is)
part number 89461-0C010 for my 05,- check against model year application for your 03.

In regards to the VPS there are many interchangeable parts for Toyota. Before spending top dollar I would check out if you can find one on eBay for similar VPS from v8 Toyota engines from say Tundra, Sequoia, LC, LX. I bet a v6 VPS sensor works as well but I would look for a v8 before a v6.

here's a link so ebay VPS and others can be found as well. This is how I fixed my T100 issue. Replaced the VPS from a v6 Toyota Sienna. Original part was not even to be found as Toyota dealers dont even carry it. Also new VPS are a highway robbery from the dealer at >$150 or so.

Last question, where is the vps, above the tank? Is there easy access to the ecm

If your CC is above spare tire, the VPS is on top of tank connected by top of fuel pump Assy.

If your CC is above spare tire, the VPS is on top of tank connected by top of fuel pump Assy.
Can I access it from the access area under the passenger seats.

In regards to the VPS there are many interchangeable parts for Toyota. Before spending top dollar I would check out if you can find one on eBay for similar VPS from v8 Toyota engines from say Tundra, Sequoia, LC, LX. I bet a v6 VPS sensor works as well but I would look for a v8 before a v6.

here's a link so ebay VPS and others can be found as well. This is how I fixed my T100 issue. Replaced the VPS from a v6 Toyota Sienna. Original part was not even to be found as Toyota dealers dont even carry it. Also new VPS are a highway robbery from the dealer at >$150 or so.
I think in this case you'd have to be sure the VPS was correct size to fit the tank, but also the comm values were the same otherwise ecu wont get correct signal. The VPS for this MY is almost $200 (crazy high for what it is)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom