04 LX470 transmission fluid & service questions. (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looking to do some PM on my 04 LX470, since I just rolled 215,000 miles on her. After looking thru the service records from the PO. I noticed that the transmission has never been serviced. Since this is the case, would it be safer to just do a couple of drain n fills until the fluid is bright red, or would I be safe doing a fluid exchange until the fluids are looking fresh?

As far as fluids go. I know Toyota WS ATF is what it calls for in the transmission. I was just curious to know if any of you have switched over to Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF fluid? For those of you who have, are their any benefits to using the Mobil 1 over the WS fluid? I'm just curious to know. The local Meijer, has Mobil 1 on sale for $10 a quart, while the dealership is selling WS fluid for $16 a quart.

Stick with WS, these 5 speed transmissions are very sensitive to fluid level, make sure you follow the FSM for fluid level adjustment.

Stick with WS, these 5 speed transmissions are very sensitive to fluid level, make sure you follow the FSM for fluid level adjustment.
Thanks for the heads up. Any reason, not to go the fluid exchange route?

I've used Valvoline Asian in all three of mine without any issues. The instructions on here with the paperclip in the OBD2 work like a champ for the temperature check mode enabling. Also, I drain mine the first time cold after it sits overnight and get about 1 gallon out on the first drain with the drain and overflow tube both removed. Pump about 3.5 quarts out at at time thru the cooler line up front into a bucket with graduations on the side and refill maybe 3.7 with a $5 harbor freight special hand pump. Works pretty seamless. That's my overcaffeinated 2c on drain and fills anyway lol

FWIW my latest had 184k on it when I did the drain fill for the first time and it wasn't all that great looking after 3 gallons of fluid (1 straight 2 diluted). I'll probably do it again at some point. My GX looked great after 3 gallons at 90k and Camry looked great after 2 at 75k for my only reference.

I've used Valvoline Asian in all three of mine without any issues. The instructions on here with the paperclip in the OBD2 work like a champ for the temperature check mode enabling. Also, I drain mine the first time cold after it sits overnight and get about 1 gallon out on the first drain with the drain and overflow tube both removed. Pump about 3.5 quarts out at at time thru the cooler line up front into a bucket with graduations on the side and refill maybe 3.7 with a $5 harbor freight special hand pump. Works pretty seamless. That's my overcaffeinated 2c on drain and fills anyway lol

FWIW my latest had 184k on it when I did the drain fill for the first time and it wasn't all that great looking after 3 gallons of fluid (1 straight 2 diluted). I'll probably do it again at some point. My GX looked great after 3 gallons at 90k and Camry looked great after 2 at 75k for my only reference.
I haven't seen any Asian ATF before. You are not supposed to dilute ATF too.

Transmission not radiator 😉

I haven't seen any Asian ATF before. You are not supposed to dilute ATF too.
Arr.... I am not sure about Asian ATF. But I am sure you never dilute your ATF fluid.

Looking to do some PM on my 04 LX470, since I just rolled 215,000 miles on her. After looking thru the service records from the PO. I noticed that the transmission has never been serviced. Since this is the case, would it be safer to just do a couple of drain n fills until the fluid is bright red, or would I be safe doing a fluid exchange until the fluids are looking fresh?
My $.02 - I've done the fluid exchange on multiple transmissions: 75k, 195k, 170k via the cooler lines. It's easy (especially if you have a dipstick) and efficient. I didn't drop the pan on any of them.

Find a Toyota/Lexus dealer's site on eBay, you can get the WS for a lot less. If you don't like eBay, then call them directly and ask for the eBay price. For this PM the cost difference is negligible, spread out over its lifetime.

It's a feel-good job, when you see the stuff that comes out of your drain.

Ha- Disregard the Valvoline Asian ATF comment.. totally meant the Maxlife compatible. I agree with everything Battleship said above.

Draining the pan and refillling is a really costly way of changing ATF. It'll work, but you'll use a lot of ATF before you ever get the fluid clean. Pumping the old oil out is very simple; look up @2001LC post (#9) here for fluid types. He also has the definitive ATF replacement primer ;)

FWIW, I managed to get almost 4 quarts out of the pan by letting it drain for several days. Overnight draining yielded about a quart. This makes pumping the oil out a quicker process, plus I think it gets more trash out.

Warning.: The dash light paper clip method will not work, as it is set at old "higher" temp (lower fluid level). You need to read temp, which is best done through tech stream.

You can use IR temp gun off the pan. But the pan will read lower than actual depending on where you shoot it, OAT, and reflected/radiant heat by 2F to 5F in most cases. If over hot pavement thats ~120F, it may read higher. So consider your particular setting.

So as we consider what ATF fluid. I'm mindful synthetic do not expand like non syn. I think WS is a blend, but IDK that. So 04- I stick with WS only and set to ~100F.

Toyota has a TSB on 04-up transmission in the 100 series, which changes ATF temp used for topping. New temp is 97-115F.
Transmossion TBS 97 - 115.JPG

Warning.: The dash light paper clip method will not work, as it is set at old "higher" temp (lower fluid level). You need to read temp, which is best done through tech stream.

You can use IR temp gun off the pan. But the pan will read lower than actual depending on where you shoot it, OAT, and reflected/radiant heat by 2F to 5F in most cases. If over hot pavement thats ~120F, it may read higher. So consider your particular setting.

So as we consider what ATF fluid. I'm mindful synthetic do not expand like non syn. I think WS is a blend, but IDK that. So 04- I stick with WS only and set to ~100F.

Toyota has a TSB on 04-up transmission in the 100 series, which changes ATF temp used for topping. New temp is 97-115F.
View attachment 2828112
Thanks for chiming in. So if the paper clip method will not work for my LX470, I don't have tech stream, or a temp gun, what is my option then? OBII scanner thru the Torque app? I'm trying to avoid having to take it to the dealership and shell out $260 for a fluid exchange.

You must read ATF temp, to set transmission level. If you do go to the Dealership. Make sure they know about the TSB, some don't.

Get a $20 cable:

Or some driver that connect to the OBII port, that is capable of reading ATF. Not all can read ATF.

Or get an IR GUN, they start around $20.

I ran Maxlife ATF in my wife's FJ which I think is the same transmission as the 04+? No issues in about 10k miles. The shop that did it DID NOT fill it properly using the temp check method and it was underfilled by about 2 quarts which caused slipping in first. No issues since.

I'm about to swap out the fluid in my 99 LX with Maxlife as well.

So I was just on Toyotapartsdeal.com to get a price quote on. WS ATF fluid b/c I'm making a coolant run to the dealership. It says WS ATF fluid has been discontinued.

Screenshot_20211105-154740_Chrome Beta.jpg

that container may have been. call your dealer and buy the WS. anyone telling you to use different fluid to save a few dollars is giving you bad advice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom