04 LC - Replacing tie-rod boots (Not sure if that is even the correct terminology) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Got my oil changed two weeks ago and noticed a leak underneath. Went back to the oil place this AM, and they took photos of both drain plug and filter showing bone dry, but they also took the photos attached here. Pretty sure I do not have the capability / tools to change these boots based on videos I've watched on YT. Any idea what specifically these are? Are "steering rack boots" the same as tie rod boots? Also, any idea what a shop might charge to replace these, assuming the inner mechanical parts don't need to be replaced? They may actually need to be replaced, but there is no indication from sounds or ride that anything is structurally wrong. Thanks for any help you can provide.

61AA6B86-0243-4F16-81B9-AD865DFAAA0A.jpg

B7AA2193-3793-41B7-B752-EC3BF2BD7034.jpg

C17AA947-1921-4BF5-9D30-C974EF6930E9.jpg

E54EB06F-3397-48AF-828C-3C9C5B1156AB.jpg

We change boots if damaged, to keep out contaminants that can lead to seal damage. But doing so, will not stop leaks. You'll need a new steering rack, to stop leaks from it's side seals. AT-205 added to Power Steering reservoir, may help slow leaks. But I've yet to see it stop any side seal leak.

Tip:
Do not use any stop leak, which will cause other issues.

We change boots if damaged, to keep out contaminants that can lead to seal damage. But doing so, will not stop leaks. You'll need a new steering rack, to stop leaks from it's side seals. AT-205 added to Power Steering reservoir, may help slow leaks. But I've yet to see it stop any side seal leak.

Tip:
Do not use any stop leak, which will cause other issues.
Thank you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom