Dodge '04 Dodge CTD - Speedy Sleeve for Rear Driveshaft

Cruiser Jimmy

Dad's truck: '04 Dodge CTD Quadcab shortbed.

Are there speed sleeves available for the rear drive shaft?

The xfer case was toasted a while back and the replacement xfer case ran low of oil from a leak. I replaced the rear output seal on the xfer case and cleaned the shaft. The shaft was noticeably burnt but not scared up. I'm continuing to monitor for leaks but.... I don't want to replace the seal again.

I also posted up in Cumminsforum but it appears no replies as of yet.

zebrabeefj40

Jimmy,

Measure the diameter of the driveshaft where it goes through the seal. Take that measurement to a bearing supply house and ask for a SpeediSleeve for that shaft size (or take a yoke in with you so they can measure it). Yellow Pages should help you find a local bearing house.

Nick

Cruiser Jimmy

update: I don't think the seal is the problem. The driveshaft yoke appears to be the issue. ATF is leaking out from between the two pieces that make up the yoke. Seal was replaced and I can't see any fluid leaking from that area. It seems to be leaking from through the yoke and out to where the DS damper is.

The truck also has a clunking when turning. I apply torque by braking and accelerating at the same time and turning to see if the clunking goes away, for the most part it does.

Any thoughts?

Last edited:
Top Bottom