03 LX 470, Raining šŸŒ§ in Maine, Girlfriend is distraught, windows keep rolling down automaticallyā€¦ Iā€™m away at work, google machine sucksā€¦ (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Sooo, yeah.. My lady said she threw the FOB in her purse yesterday and now the windows will go down automatically and the sunroof opens; from the sounds of it its random. The interior is now soaked; sheā€™s cryingā€¦ I bleep blooped on the google machine and did figure out the fob has the ability to actuate this series of events but I kinda hit a road block at that point; sounds like holding down the lock button maybe or something of that nature started this? Various info on GS and RX forums and different year BS but I need some concrete info if Iā€™m going to try to help her out remotely. Respectfully weā€™re dealing with zero mechanical inclination. Could anyone describe this feature, how its initiated and possibly the INs/OUTs of the feature? Thanks fellas and fellets.

I experienced weird issues with a wet (washer) FOB. Any chance it got damaged or anything?

So that is a fairly common feature on many other cars, but I don't think I've ever heard of it on these trucks. I won't be much help there, however, for right now you really need to do damage control. If the interior of a vehicle is soaked and not properly dried, it's almost as good as totaled. Rust, mold, & mildew will begin forming almost immediately. Do you have access to a garage and is this a daily driver? It needs to be parked and dried out. Assuming you can let it sit for a few days while it dries out, you need to pull all seats and carpet out. Clean the carpet on your driveway. Stick a couple fans and a dehumidifier or something like Damp-Rid inside the truck with all doors and windows closed. You need to focus on getting the truck dried out before anything. The electronic components that can be screwed by water ingress are very expensive

Remove the battery from the fob, start the truck, roll the windows up. Then turn the heater and AC on and let it run for a couple hours. You may be able to avoid a full dry-out being needed.

Sounds like the fob unlock button is being held (or has failed to think that it's being held).

I'd check simple stuff first: is the unlock button shoved down and a bit sideways so that unlock is held down?

Take the tiny screw in the back out of the key case and remove the fob. Make sure the buttons press like normal.

Tools required:

Small screwdriver and righty-tighty, lefty-loosey knowledge.

So that is a fairly common feature on many other cars, but I don't think I've ever heard of it on these trucks.

2003+, and LX only I believe.

As stated above, thatā€™s usually triggered by pressing and holding the ā€œunlockā€ button on the fob. Possible causes, button physically wedged down, or water got into fob and is completing the circuit.

2003+, and LX only I believe.

As stated above, thatā€™s usually triggered by pressing and holding the ā€œunlockā€ button on the fob. Possible causes, button physically wedged down, or water got into fob and is completing the circuit.
Thanks, Iā€™m having her check. You have no idea how hard this issue is to deal with remotely with someone whoā€™s way to busy to deal with it, stressed out, and on the verge of tears..

The master key FOB has red LED light when depressed. If red light on without pressing unlock or lock, defect/short in FOB. Battery is hard to get out, for most. As once FOB removed from master, it's hard to open battery compartment. Have her stop at Lexus.

If she can get your spare key. Have here leave the master very far away from vehicle. Very far, as the OEM FOB have great distance range. She can then use spare to turn IG to on and roll up all windows and close sunroof. If this does works, it likely the FOB. But if windows keep rolling down. Likely a water leak into cabin has caused a short.

If this some aftermarket China made FOB. They don't have good range and likely a defect

The master key FOB has red LED light when depressed. If red light on without pressing unlock or lock, defect/short in FOB. Battery is hard to get out, for most. As once FOB removed from master, it's hard to open battery compartment. Have her stop at Lexus.

If she can get your spare key. Have here leave the master very far away from vehicle. Very far, as the OEM FOB have great distance range. She can then use spare to turn IG to on and roll up all windows and close sunroof. If this does works it likely the FOB, But if windows keep rolling down. Likely a water leak into cabin has caused a short.

If this some aftermarket China made FOB. They don't have good range and likely a defect
Thanks. We have both OEM Fobs, Very much appreciate the info. FML.. WTF does this happen when Iā€™m gone!!! šŸ¤Æ

Thanks, Iā€™m having her check. You have no idea how hard this issue is to deal with remotely with someone whoā€™s way to busy to deal with it, stressed out, and on the verge of tears..

I think I may have an idea, maybe without the tears, I got to do FaceTime diagnostics, for my son, while he was off at college.

Try coaching college kids over the phone, who know absolutely ā€œeverythingā€, up until the point where their car wonā€™t start. It does bring a tear to your eye, when your kid tells the four other guys ā€œIf you donā€™t shut up, youā€™re walking home, my dad knows how to fix this!ā€šŸ˜

Put the fob in a microwave and it shouldnā€™t be able to communicate with the car to rule it out.

Very likely your sunroof drains are clogged and water is running down into the fuse/relay box near the drivers feet. This will short stuff out and cause all kinds of crazy problems.

A guy's gotta get his peepers on that remote - maybe all you need is a vice-grip. Nope, probably not.

Last edited:
I think I may have an idea, maybe without the tears, I got to do FaceTime diagnostics, for my son, while he was off at college.

Try coaching college kids over the phone, who know absolutely ā€œeverythingā€, up until the point where their car wonā€™t start. It does bring a tear to your eye, when your kid tells the four other guys ā€œIf you donā€™t shut up, youā€™re walking home, my dad knows how to fix this!ā€šŸ˜
It was the FOB, she dropped it in a puddle.

That'll do it. Just pop the battery out and grab a spare. I recently went through the same thing, just my alarm and not my windows.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom