GM '02 Sierra Denali AWD 4WS, Dana Rear Stuck Clutch Pack (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
New here, not able to post in the Drivetrain forum yet. '02 SD w/ 128k has a Dana Diff w/ the 4WS components attached to it, it chatters in reverse while turning. An old timer tech at my dealer told me to put a qt. of diesel fuel in it and do figure 8's in an open area to see if it breaks free. I've been a Mechanic for many years but never heard of doing that before and I don't want to do more harm than good. Only GM Quadrasteer fluid has been used in it from the beginning and has had several fluid changes. Any advice on freeing up a cluch pack without taking it apart would be appreciated.

I have had two different 4ws trucks and never had that issue. I can’t think of anything the diesel would hurt as a cleaner flush and change to the correct process. I had a 66 Chevy service truck that clicked every turn forwards or backwards. It was an old style limited slip diff that slipped when turning. Good Luck. I noticed the new all electric Silverado has the 4WS steer system on it.

New here, not able to post in the Drivetrain forum yet. '02 SD w/ 128k has a Dana Diff w/ the 4WS components attached to it, it chatters in reverse while turning. An old timer tech at my dealer told me to put a qt. of diesel fuel in it and do figure 8's in an open area to see if it breaks free. I've been a Mechanic for many years but never heard of doing that before and I don't want to do more harm than good. Only GM Quadrasteer fluid has been used in it from the beginning and has had several fluid changes. Any advice on freeing up a cluch pack without taking it apart would be appreciated.
Does this differential have a limited slip differential for sure? If it's chattering and it has 4 wheel steering (4WS) there are other issues this could be than a "clutch pack"

In fact I doubt you can have anything other than an electric locker in a rear axle with 4WS, but I'm not a GM guy anymore.

This could be the knuckle being dry and chattering in reverse.

Typically with a limited slip (a true LSD and not a gov-lock type) you can free it up by doing tight circles with it. As long as you have the fluid with friction modifiers in it, then once it breaks free while doing circles, it will get better each time. The first time it breaks loose, it sounds like someone hit the rear diff with a big hammer. Then it gets quiet. Then straighten it out, then do circles the other direction.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom