02 Sequoia for a 16 y/o girl mods? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So my younger sister is turning 16 in a bit and will be getting my mom's old Sequoia. She's not really into the whole soccer mom ride thing, but wants to make the best out of her new ride. Any idea for modifications? It's only 2wd, and I know most people here have their rides modded for off roading, but that's not really an option here... She can just borrow my Land Cruiser for that.

The Sequoia is black, so I was thinking first adding some tint, then blacking out the stock wheels or even investing in some new ones. Then upgrading the stereo, as one of the speakers is blown and she loves the system in my LC. Anyone have any other ideas? Nothing too over the top expensive, but just little things yall think a 16 y/o chick would like haha. I'm looking to do some mods for her for her birthday, but I'm on a college kid's budget, so yeah...

Thanks yall!

Can you post a pic of how it looks today? Maybe removing the running boards unless she needs them to get in and out.

I'll post a pic whenever I get a chance to, my mom's outa town with it at the moment...
It's completely stock, so basically like this:
http://www.firstlook.biz/wanagallery/19861579.jpg

I was thinking of that, except she has some short friends haha, so I'll see what she says before I go yank em off

19861579.jpg

My wife had on '03 Ltd for a few years. I don't like how high it sat to be a 2wd. 16s will never fill the void of a fender well it had. It was also under powered, I thought, for a 4.7.

So a mild drop, loose the boards, bigger wheels, and 'open' up the exhaust some. The lower ride height should tighten up the tank-like handling it had, too. So it'd be a 'safety' mod for a new driver.

maybe get a set of the 17 inch oem wheels- black em out- smoke out the lights, tint, system etc.theres a lot of low budget things you can do, and just because its not 4wheel drive doesnt mean she cant wheel with it lol- I made my first run in two wheel with just the locker working lol.. heres an off the wall one lol- low budget locker- add another hand brake- basically set it up so one controls each rear wheel.. you could even do a small lift for cheap too- just use oem tundra/lc parts..

Thank yall very much! Very good ideas, I never even thought about a drop, thats a good point, it is very high up... And I like the exhaust idea, she used to love the sound of my dad's old Z71 (he had flows with a very nice rumble).

First off the bat I'm for sure doing tint, my best friend's dad owns a tint shop and will do it for a good deal. Then comes new audio system. I may take out my subs and put them in...I need some more cargo space anyways. And if she's down, the running boards are coming off. After that, it's all about what's affordable. Thank yall all!

And I grew up wheelin with my uncle in his 2wd dakota haha, we had a blast. She enjoys offroading (me and my dad are a little on the redneck side), but prefers the beach and is more on the preppy side than the woodsy side.

I think the drop is where it's at then. It can't be too much. A good set of springs with dampening adjustables for my car will run me about $700, and a set with regular shocks/struts for about $500. You might can squeeze a shallow mount sub in the back hatch.

I don't think a store bought drop is gonna happen. I got bored and spent 20 minutes looking for one out curiosity, none found for the rear. A Tundra front end should do. You'll have to do the rear yourself. Maybe compare some spring rates for an OME Taco coil or something. Sorry.

Yeah I couldn't find a "kit" or anything anywhere, but I'll see what I can do. And Yeah that bronze on that Taco looks sick, but it may look pretty bobo with the stock wheels...

Some 5 star tacoma rims look great painted. You can get everything you need for around $25. I've done a couple sets.

x2 on the taco rims.. the newer sequoia wheels look sick too

I do like the newer rims also. I was thinkin about tryin to get a set of those BBS rims from my friend's dad (he has them on his old Tundra, but is considering selling the truck). And yeah I know painting them isn't bad, helped a friend do his VW wheels and am planning on doing mine flat black on my cruiser whenever I get a day off. Thanks yall!

If its not broke......... just my 2 cents. Something will break soon enough a.c . etc. MIke

Sell it and buy something that better fits her needs, and style. That thing will suck back 3x more gas than needed, and is total overkill for what it sounds like she needs. Sounds like a square peg/round hole situation.

So my younger sister is turning 16 in a bit and will be getting my mom's old Sequoia. She's not really into the whole soccer mom ride thing, but wants to make the best out of her new ride. Any idea for modifications? It's only 2wd, and I know most people here have their rides modded for off roading, but that's not really an option here... She can just borrow my Land Cruiser for that.

The Sequoia is black, so I was thinking first adding some tint, then blacking out the stock wheels or even investing in some new ones. Then upgrading the stereo, as one of the speakers is blown and she loves the system in my LC. Anyone have any other ideas? Nothing too over the top expensive, but just little things yall think a 16 y/o chick would like haha. I'm looking to do some mods for her for her birthday, but I'm on a college kid's budget, so yeah...

Thanks yall!

I would say that a 16 year old girl doesn't need tinted windows or a kickin' stereo system. Young drivers really don't need any more distractions than they already have. But thats my two cents.

Not an over the top stereo, but something better than stock... And tint I don't see as distracting, especially if I just did like 35% or something.

And yeah, she wants to sell it, but my parents want her to drive for it for at least a year or two because it's safer than a jeep (which is what she wants to buy...lol).

My wife had a LTD '03, and the stereo sucked. I had an '04 Tundra 4wd LTD for one note. It's stereo sucked, too. So did the mileage the way I drive. I got a 6-speed turbo Jetta for a trade. It's mileage is almost 3 times better, and it's way more fun to drive. I already had the Tacoma, so I didn't need another 4wd.

I'd replace all the door speakers, maybe the tweeters, and put a 10 or 12 tucked behind the seats. I'd pull those 3rd row seats and stick them in the attic for a future resell of the truck. Its a whole lotta vehicle for a new driver. I hated parking my wife's. The 4wd version has a tighter turning radius for some reason. The Tundra was easier to park.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom