02 LX470 - Valve Cover Gasket Replacement Questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I embarked upon a valve cover gasket replacement yesterday. I was able to get the project done .... but .... the leak is worse now. I suspect that the gasket may have come out of the grove on the drivers side cover when I put it on. Before I start over - I have a couple of questions. For reference, I have a 2002 LX470.

1. Are the part numbers for the spark plug gaskets/tube seals for the LX the same as the ones posed in other threads for the LC? I purchased 11193-70070 for both sides. They seem to fit, but I want to make sure I have the right part since I have to open it back up.
2. My neighbor (@southerncruiser62 ) suggested that I add a couple of dabs of gasket maker to the valve cover gasket when place in the cover to prevent it from coming out of the grove during the install. Anyone else tried this, or do you have any other suggestions? I did put gasket maker material in the corners and on the half moons.

Thx.

I had the same problem with my 80 series. Replacing gasket won't solve the problem. Check for tiny cracks in the valve cover. Torque all the screws in criss cross pattern. If leaks still exist then replace the whole valve cover with new valve cover not with a used ebay or junkyard valve cover. Maybe it's a warped valve cover that is causing the leak.

Last edited:
I had the same problem with my 80 series. Replacing gasket won't solve the problem. Check for tiny cracks in the valve cover. Torque all the screws in criss cross pattern. If leaks still exist then replace the whole valve cover with new valve cover not with a used ebay or junkyard valve cover. Maybe it's a warped valve cover that is causing the leak.
The leak after my replacement was clearly coming from the area along the gasket. I'm going to try again and possibly replace the bolts this time. I did criss cross the bolts and torques them to spec, so it either has to be the seal did not seat properly or the cover is bad.

The leak after my replacement was clearly coming from the area along the gasket. I'm going to try again and possibly replace the bolts this time. I did criss cross the bolts and torques them to spec, so it either has to be the seal did not seat properly or the cover is bad.

To answer your question about parts, don't take any chances and just call your toyota parts department or make sure you reference your VIN when searching online.

To help with the install, don't put any gasket maker on the gasket to help hold it in place. Only apply to the sharp corners in the front near the cams. This is how toyota suggest it is installed. The gasket if installed the right way should hold in place. There are little notches on it and it should be installed the correct way. I have heard of other random material being used like vaseline to help the gasket not drop out, I suppose I was just lucky and it stayed put. The more challenging part for me was to get the new tube seals around the plug sleeves when putting the cover back on.

Not sure if that helps

Was the leak relating to the area you put the gasket maker? Should replace those seals around the bolts if your going in again, not sure if replacing the bolts is necessary but might as well if you have a few extra bucks.

Was the leak relating to the area you put the gasket maker? Should replace those seals around the bolts if your going in again, not sure if replacing the bolts is necessary but might as well if you have a few extra bucks.
The leak was not near the area with gasket maker. It was along the bottom seem in more than 1 spot.

I agree with the tube seals. That was a struggle, but they appeared to seat correctly when I tightened the bolts. Maybe the tube seals are not seating correctly? It could be possible that the tube seals are hung on the tubes. If so, the low torque setting for the bolts could be triggered on the torque wrench before the cover is fully seated. Just a thought.

I will call Lexus for the part number. I picked up the seals from a local Toyota dealership. They were less than friendly when I mentioned it was for a Lexus.

The leak was not near the area with gasket maker. It was along the bottom seem in more than 1 spot.

I agree with the tube seals. That was a struggle, but they appeared to seat correctly when I tightened the bolts. Maybe the tube seals are not seating correctly? It could be possible that the tube seals are hung on the tubes. If so, the low torque setting for the bolts could be triggered on the torque wrench before the cover is fully seated. Just a thought.

I will call Lexus for the part number. I picked up the seals from a local Toyota dealership. They were less than friendly when I mentioned it was for a Lexus.

Hmmm interesting, have you been running it? I suspect if the tube seals weren't settled right you would see a pool of oil in the tubes, right? That is what led me to replace mine.

Since it was all torqued properly maybe the leak may be due to your initial thought of the gasket not being set properly in the groove or coming from a bolt seal. Sounds like your going back in anyway, report back with your findings.

PS - I am also seeing 11193-70010 after a quick search for tube seals but don't take my word for it.

Hmmm interesting, have you been running it? I suspect if the tube seals weren't settled right you would see a pool of oil in the tubes, right? That is what led me to replace mine.

Since it was all torqued properly maybe the leak may be due to your initial thought of the gasket not being set properly in the groove or coming from a bolt seal. Sounds like your going back in anyway, report back with your findings.

PS - I am also seeing 11193-70010 after a quick search for tube seals but don't take my word for it.
I just called the local Lexus dealership and they confirmed the part number for the tube seals.

I noticed the leak immediately. After finishing both sides, I cranked it up, and checked for leaks. Did not take long to see oil dripping out and onto head. Fortunately, I have another company car that I can drive. So, it is parked until I dive back in later this week. Will keep you posted.

I just called the local Lexus dealership and they confirmed the part number for the tube seals.

I noticed the leak immediately. After finishing both sides, I cranked it up, and checked for leaks. Did not take long to see oil dripping out and onto head. Fortunately, I have another company car that I can drive. So, it is parked until I dive back in later this week. Will keep you posted.
Hmm, yeah that's a bummer. Guess I would have to assume the gasket didn't seat right or you got hung up on a spark tube.

I don't remember for sure but I thought the gasket could be upside down, like it had these little notches on one half that allowed me to push it into the groove and it stayed put while I was fighting it back it place. I could be wrong but it may pay to look for that.

This is a good point, may be worth putting a straight edge on the valve cover but I don't think we have seen many 100 series owners reporting warped valve covers, not to say it couldn't happen though.

The driver's side is tight getting it all back in. It's easy to nick the gasket on a spark plug tube and then is will leak. When you pull it back off, flex the gasket where the leak is and see if there's a break.

Evening update - The passengers side is not leaking. So, I only redid the drivers side tonight. I don’t think it was seated properly though I’m still not sure why or how. I pulled the cover, checked the gasket and tubes and reinstalled. Ran the motor for 10 minutes and didn’t see any leaks. Thought I was good. However, when I noticed a few drops of oil under the truck a few minutes after I turned it off. Looking from the bottom up, it looks like there is some oil seeping out near the middle 2 bolts on the bottom of the cover. The cover did not appear to be warped. I‘m going to drive her tomorrow to get a better handle on how bad the leak is (doesn’t appear to bad at the moment). Guess I may buy a new gasket and try again. I may try new gaskets on the bolts as well. I used a torque wrench and checked (and double checked) that all were torques to 7 ft/lbs.

More suggestions are welcome. I will update when I get a chance to get back into it (hopefully tomorrow night). Thx.

Short update - I am no longer seeing any oil make it to the floor under the truck. However, there is still a decent amount of oil on the underside of the motor near the headers, and I smell a little bit of burning oil when i drive. So, I think that the leak may be gone (I never did replace the bolts/gasket washers). Any suggestions for degreasing the motor to make it easier to see if there are still leaks?

Short update - I am no longer seeing any oil make it to the floor under the truck. However, there is still a decent amount of oil on the underside of the motor near the headers, and I smell a little bit of burning oil when i drive. So, I think that the leak may be gone (I never did replace the bolts/gasket washers). Any suggestions for degreasing the motor to make it easier to see if there are still leaks?

Sounds like its getting better. Some people may not agree but I have had 0 issues spraying the foaming degreaser in the engine bay and rinsing off after letting it soak for just a few minutes. Try to avoid electronics and I like to keep the plastic engine cover on so I avoid getting any water down into the engine valley / near the starter.

If the problem remains new gaskets on the bolts may be in order since it sounds like you did everything else properly.

Old thread, degreaser option

I recently changed the valve covers on my Gen3 4R. Lots of old oil.

I used this:

3D Grand Blast Heavy Duty Degreaser​

Mixed to 30% solution with water. Then rinsed off with hot tap water. Really worked well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom