‘02 LX470 radio wiring help. Don’t have a 22 pin nor the 20 pin connector (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys I need help figuring out the connections on the radio connectors on my ‘02 LX470. According to Toyodiy it is a GEN spec but I believe it was imported from the Middle East because it has some Arabic writing on the side mirrors and on a plaque in the door jamb. The radio label says it’s made by Matsushita. There’s also a 6 disc CD changer inside the center console armrest beside the cool box.

I did some research and stumbled upon RobRed’s excellent site: Stereo Wiring: Land Cruiser / LX 470 (1998-02)

However, it appears the connectors on my radio are not listed. There are two plugs on mine. I believe there are extra wires in there for the CD changer. @RobRed I hope you can help me out. I want to retain the factory amp so I will be using a Pioneer head unit with front and rear RCA outs.

A06DF4D0-030F-4538-BD23-0D61996407C6.jpeg
9AB75019-BEE0-49E6-BD92-E9B37A609165.jpeg
25783339-BC61-4871-8BD7-B4D97B88CFF8.jpeg
7552E07E-F12C-4701-9D96-3C60FE70E819.jpeg

Okay I did some more searching and found that the connector I have is the 15 pin found on early 100s. I found a wiring diagram and figured out the pinouts. I wired RCA to speaker line connections from my Pioneer’s RCA preamps and got a loud, unbearable hum when the engine is running. With the engine off, minimal noise, but bass is distorted. My question now is, what’s the easiest way to bypass the factory amp? I’d hate to run new speaker wires to the door.

Thanks for the info! I didn’t know there was a harness available for the radio to wire directly to the speaker output of the amp. I guess I’ll have to remove the passenger seat and check if I have the same connector that the Metra harness plugs into.

Just to update this thread. I ordered both Metra 70-8112 to plug into my existing 15 pin harness, as well as the Metra 70-8116 to bypass the factory amp. I used the 70-8112 first with the RCA jacks plugged into the RCA outputs of my Pioneer radio. No hissing or noise at all and no distorted bass. Also used the $20 faceplate and brackets from ebay. Perfect fit! So happy to have bluetooth A2DP and a reverse camera. Still good to have the Metra 70-8116 on standby in case the factory amp craps out or starts making hissing noises.

The 70-8112 didn’t have a wire for the illumination so I just ran a wire from the ashtray light bulb to the Pioneer’s illumination wire. For some reason the radio doesn’t dim when I tapped into the factory radio harness illumination wire so I decided to tap into the ashtray light

B4F69B71-A527-4742-A3EA-6450C39900F6.jpeg

Great job!

Do you know if there is a way to turn these pioneer radios off? I can't figure out it on mine.. Best I can do is to turn the screen off with the mode button, but the hardware buttons are still illuminated then.

Great job!

Do you know if there is a way to turn these pioneer radios off? I can't figure out it on mine.. Best I can do is to turn the screen off with the mode button, but the hardware buttons are still illuminated then.

I don’t think there’s way to turn them off completely. What you could do is wire a switch on the red +12V ACC wire. With no power on the red wire, the radio will think you removed the key, and will turn off

I don’t think there’s way to turn them off completely. What you could do is wire a switch on the red +12V ACC wire. With no power on the red wire, the radio will think you removed the key, and will turn off

Good idea, thanks!

Does your car come with the amplifier?
Mine does and when I wired up my stereo it didn't work properly when I used the RCA cables.
I bypassed the amplifier and all worked.

Good idea, thanks!

Turns out there is an option to completely turn it off in my unit (AVH-X5850BT). Antenna even goes down. The buttons however will still illuminate when you switch on the parking lights. In my unit there is an option to decrease the button illumination brightness so I have it set to the lowest setting which matches the AC control illumination perfectly

DA12C995-F34E-447D-A63E-9BAEBF51CFB0.jpeg

Does your car come with the amplifier?
Mine does and when I wired up my stereo it didn't work properly when I used the RCA cables.
I bypassed the amplifier and all worked.

Yup it has the factory amplifier. Mine didn’t sound right too when I just spliced some RCA cable ends on the harness. There was hissing noise and a loud hum. But with the 70-8112 harness the sound is clean, no noticeable hissing except when there is nothing playing and the volume set really high

That's exactly what I had. The lowest volume was still loud.

Just checked old topics.
I used the metra 70-8112 but still had the hum and hissing sound.

Interesting about the illumination wire. I completed the navigation + amp delete not too long ago and noticed the illumination wire wasn't triggering at all. I think I'll try the ash tray light as a trigger.

Hi @HRTROB and @RobRed, I am doing the same job with the same car currently, I am stoked that I have the Matsushita as it has a harness and seems easy enough to install, but for the life of me this thread is the only mention I can find of it. I have found an Aus company that make a similar harness to convert the 15 pin to rca's and then splice the other 11 wires to the head unit plug (I am using a Sony).

My question is did you find anywhere that tells you what the other 12 pin and the little 3 pin one is for? Were you able to find a wiring diagram specific to these head units?

Cheers,

Last edited:
Can you get the Metra 70-8116 in your location? That is what I used for my 2002 LC.
Im having the same issue except i have a 1998 470 with the 15pin but it looks like it is in q different config to the metra 70 8116 I could just be blind do u think it'll work

Im having the same issue except i have a 1998 470 with the 15pin but it looks like it is in q different config to the metra 70 8116 I could just be blind do u think it'll work
Howdy, and welcome to Mud. It looks like the OP used the Metra 70-8112 and it worked for him. It is a 15 pin plug. Look it up and maybe it will work for your application. It looks like it is from the stereo to the amp.

Hey, so I have finished mine and it all worked very smoothly. I'm in Australia, so I used a local part from brand Aerpro, but essentially the same thing. It came with a basic wiring chart as to what wires were what, I matched that up with the head unit wiring sheet and all works wonderfully.
Notes: I had to wire the power to both the amp and the electric Arial, I just spliced them all together and all works fine.
I didn't have an illumination, so I didn't wire it in and it's fine.
I didn't connect the handbrake switch and it all works great.

Last edited:
Hey, so I have finished mine and it all worked very smoothly. I'm in Australia, so I used a local part from brand Aeropro, but essentially the same thing. It came with a basic wiring chart as to what wires were what, I matched that up with the head unit wiring sheet and all works wonderfully.
Notes: I had to wire the power to both the amp and the electric Arial, I just spliced them all together and all works fine.
I didn't have an illumination, so I didn't wire it in and it's fine.
I didn't connect the handbrake switch and it all works great.
I installed the Sony xav ax3000, so that worked well. And the part number from Aerpro is APP0261

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom