02 LC Deploys Brakes for No Reason (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello All,

I recently purchased a 2002 100 Series from a friend of mine. He hadn't had it long as he got a 200 series, and had no issues. Everything checks out, seems to be in good shape, but I had a peculiar fault twice now.

I was driving around a twisting road, not particularly quickly, but not slowly getting ready to take a right hand turn and the truck applied the brakes completely, flashed a light at me (not sure which one, it was very quick) and beeped. Didn't last more than a second, it went away and drove completely normally.

Since then I've taken it over 300 miles on the highway, no problems, but today it did the same thing to my better half.

I'm really confused by what it is and how to fix it. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Patrick

Something's loose in the front end and the computer (through the wheel speed sensors) is acting on a delta between front left value and front right value. The light flashing is likely 'VSC'.

The typical faults are usually the steering rack bushings being loose or the wheel bearings being loose. Inspect the first by having someone turn the wheel left and right while you look at the rack itself. It shouldn't move, so if it does you've found your issue. If that's not it, get the front end in the air and wiggle the tires to see if it's wheel bearings or tie rods.

Common at this age/mileage. There is a simple wiring fix to just turn off the VSC feature, but it masks actual front end problems. VSC won't randomly trip once you're back within spec.

Something's loose in the front end and the computer (through the wheel speed sensors) is acting on a delta between front left value and front right value. The light flashing is likely 'VSC'.

The typical faults are usually the steering rack bushings being loose or the wheel bearings being loose. Inspect the first by having someone turn the wheel left and right while you look at the rack itself. It shouldn't move, so if it does you've found your issue. If that's not it, get the front end in the air and wiggle the tires to see if it's wheel bearings or tie rods.

Common at this age/mileage. There is a simple wiring fix to just turn off the VSC feature, but it masks actual front end problems. VSC won't randomly trip once you're back within spec.
Thank you. The steering rack was just replaced because it was leaking, so I’m assuming that’s it

Was it the VSC light or the "vehicle looks like it is sliding back and forth driving forward" light on the dash? From experience, the latter can be due to a loose wheel bearing.

Hey guys,
Managed to recreate it today. Happened on a sweeping right after a left, and the warning light is what i would associate with traction control- the Vehicle slalom light, I’d call it.
Y’all think wheel bearing?

Hey guys,
Managed to recreate it today. Happened on a sweeping right after a left, and the warning light is what i would associate with traction control- the Vehicle slalom light, I’d call it.
Y’all think wheel bearing?
The initial symptoms you described It sounds like your traction control kicked on, this is what you would hear and experience if you start sliding in the snow. I have had this happen to me on dry pavement when hitting some big cracks in the road.

How hard were you trying to recreate the issue? I mean if I rock my wheel hard one way and then the other my traction control may kick on as well.

Just noticed you also said steering rack was replaced, these symptoms could be an issue brought upon by that repair if something wasn't put back together properly.

The initial symptoms you described It sounds like your traction control kicked on, this is what you would hear and experience if you start sliding in the snow. I have had this happen to me on dry pavement when hitting some big cracks in the road.

How hard were you trying to recreate the issue? I mean if I rock my wheel hard one way and then the other my traction control may kick on as well.

Just noticed you also said steering rack was replaced, these symptoms could be an issue brought upon by that repair if something wasn't put back together properly.
I was driving normally, nothing special.
It’s back with the mechanic now, he wanted to look over his work and check it out

Thank you. The steering rack was just replaced because it was leaking, so I’m assuming that’s it
Have your mechanice verify that all bushings are installed. My mechanic installed a Toyota rack but stated it had a missing bushing "that should have come with the rack" (reputabable shope I used for years). I had a similar issue on SoCal windy-mountain roads. Rollover-warning and hard application of brake. You are missing a bushing on the rack. THE VEHICLE CAN PULL YOU ACROSS CENTERLINE INTO ONCOMING TRAFFIC AND IT HAPPENED TO ME ON A BLIND CORNER have it *TOWED* if you read this and experience the issue - especially after replacing a steering rack.

I had this exact same issue and it turned out to be something very easy and made me feel very stupid. One tire was really low pressure.

The issue only happened at relatively high speed on a sweeping, leaning turn, for me it was always a right turn and I could make it happen every time I went on that corner at a certain speed. The rear drivers tire was low. Filled it up and problem solved for over a year now.

I had this exact same issue and it turned out to be something very easy and made me feel very stupid. One tire was really low pressure.

The issue only happened at relatively high speed on a sweeping, leaning turn, for me it was always a right turn and I could make it happen every time I went on that corner at a certain speed. The rear drivers tire was low. Filled it up and problem solved for over a year now.
That's a great point- I also recommend an aftermarket tire pressure monitor, I run one and it is easy to read, beeps on PSI loss, and appears like a gauge when mounted to one of the 12V ports for the center console.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom