'02 Brake upgrade / wheel size question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I searched but must not have found the right combination of key words to locate what I'm looking for.

I have a recently acquired 2002 LC with 16" wheels. On a recent trip, I overheated the brakes driving on some very long, steep downhill roads. I think it was error as I was focusing on some other mechanical problems and probably rode the brakes more than I normally would have, but at the same time, I've been driving LCs for a long time and none of my prior trucks ever had a brake overheating issue. Both my prior LCs, an '06 and an '07 came with 17" wheels. Can anyone confirm that the >'03 trucks which came with 17" OEM wheels (at least in the US) did so in order to house bigger brake rotors? Would there be any sense in upgrading my wheels to 17s and upgrading my brakes to a larger diameter? Or would I gain nearly as much by keeping the same wheels and just installing better rotors the next time the brakes need more than just pads?

I searched but must not have found the right combination of key words to locate what I'm looking for.

I have a recently acquired 2002 LC with 16" wheels. On a recent trip, I overheated the brakes driving on some very long, steep downhill roads. I think it was error as I was focusing on some other mechanical problems and probably rode the brakes more than I normally would have, but at the same time, I've been driving LCs for a long time and none of my prior trucks ever had a brake overheating issue. Both my prior LCs, an '06 and an '07 came with 17" wheels. Can anyone confirm that the >'03 trucks which came with 17" OEM wheels (at least in the US) did so in order to house bigger brake rotors? Would there be any sense in upgrading my wheels to 17s and upgrading my brakes to a larger diameter? Or would I gain nearly as much by keeping the same wheels and just installing better rotors the next time the brakes need more than just pads?
Rotors are same size among all model years and irrespective of wheel size. Part #: 43512-60171

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom