01 tacoma D-Cab suspension (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.w2m.com
anyone know a reasonable way to give the 01 tacoma d-cab a better ride.

Mine is the non TRD version.......40K I am ready for tires and suspension upgrade.

any recomendation would be greatly appreciated.

thx

OME suspension or go to Demello Offroad's site and look at his suspension setups.

JT

Eron's 2001 Taco (TRD 4wd xcab) came with a Fabtech 3 ro 4" suspension . We bought it for her used a months ago from a Toyota dealership . We love the ride and handling manners ...

T

Razor said:

Mine is the non TRD version.......40K I am ready for tires and suspension upgrade.

thx

If your interested, Imay have a slightly used full OME setup with 882 coils for sale.

JT

Check out www.wheelersoffroad.com, they have a lot of gear for Tacomas, I orderd a bunch of stuff for my Tacoma through them and was very pleased. My Tacoma had a Cornfed 3" spacer lift with 2" ProComp add- a- leaves in the rear (included in the Cornfed kit), Bilstein 5100's and Daystar extended greasableshakles (these things kicked a$$ big time, well worth it); after the lift, the rig rode a bit stiffer than stock, similar to a half ton truck.

Here's a pretty good resource to explore for lifting the Taco:

Taco Lift Options

Just curious by saying "improve ride" do you mean soften; stiffen; raise for bigger tires or what? Everyones idea of improved is different.

Tad

Razor said:

thx

I have a Cornfed 3" lift on my '03 d-cab. Coil spacer up front and add-a-leaf and new shocks in there rear!
IMG_3487 (2).JPG

going fab tech........0-3.5 performance kit............

i will take pics

Razor , that is the system Eron has on her Taco ... if I can remember , I'll take some pics of it tomorrow for you . You'll love it ...

T

hmmmmmmmmmm,
The allpro offroad system sounds much better,,,,,,,

Razor said:

thx
Not sure what "reasonable" is to you, but I agree 100%. Also look int SAW for the front.

I have a 1998 Tacoma with adjustable SAWs in the front (these are valved for a Tundra and I added heavier/longer coils to them a while back to support my winch bumper), with Alcan custom leafs in the rear, and 5100 Bilsteins in the rear. The ride is a good bit stiffer (and obviously bumpier) than stock, I like the solid feel. I am running 32X11.5s BFGs.

The whole deal ran me about 1200 dollars and I did my own installation.

140622290UuZHUl_ph.jpg

140624199GjRpCF_ph.jpg

Razor said:
hmmmmmmmmmm,
The allpro offroad system sounds much better,,,,,,,

Did you ever make a suspension choice? Here is some information in case you haven't already decided.

Front:

(coil spacers)
Daystar, Cornfed, Revtek, etc. = cheap! cheap! cheap! DO NOT USE ON TRD SUSPENSION due to progressive rate coils.

(stock style replacement)
OME = inexpensive, coils often settle, heavy coils will not support winch bumper, not bad for the money though. Much better than a spacer lift!

(adjustable systems)
Downey, All poo, NWOR, etc. = much better options, shocks are not rebuildable, see below

(adjustable and rebuildable coilovers)
SAWS = 2.0 diameter, several problems with different versions
Fabtech = BLING BLING, better options for the money and not as gay
Camburg = 2.5 diameter mfg by Sway-a-way, good product
King = 2.5 diameter mfg by King who makes the best coilovers in the world. Very solid product and considered the "best" until recent introduction of Donahoes
Donahoes = Ride and dampening are awesome. Extended travel version available if you use replacement upper arms. They even use their off-the-shelf product on their race truck.

Rear:

AAL from Downey is good, OME rear leaf springs are good, so are their shackles. Deaver and Alcan springs are much better.

Hope this helps. Ask if you have any questions. I can recommend several reputable dealers. BTW, I'm running the Kings in front (adjusted to around 2" lift) and Downey AAL + bilstein 5100's in the rear. This combination allows for 32" tire with no rubbing. Ride is very good on and off road.

thx for all the great info:
I just bought a modified FJ60, now the tacoma sits in the garage with a cover....

so, the lift/tires are on the back burner for the moment...

I will come back to the lift/tires when I absolutely need new rubber...

thx again,
Rick

calamaridog said:
Did you ever make a suspension choice? Here is some information in case you haven't already decided.

Front:

(coil spacers)
Daystar, Cornfed, Revtek, etc. = cheap! cheap! cheap! DO NOT USE ON TRD SUSPENSION due to progressive rate coils.

(stock style replacement)
OME = inexpensive, coils often settle, heavy coils will not support winch bumper, not bad for the money though. Much better than a spacer lift!

(adjustable systems)
Downey, All poo, NWOR, etc. = much better options, shocks are not rebuildable, see below

(adjustable and rebuildable coilovers)
SAWS = 2.0 diameter, several problems with different versions
Fabtech = BLING BLING, better options for the money and not as gay
Camburg = 2.5 diameter mfg by Sway-a-way, good product
King = 2.5 diameter mfg by King who makes the best coilovers in the world. Very solid product and considered the "best" until recent introduction of Donahoes
Donahoes = Ride and dampening are awesome. Extended travel version available if you use replacement upper arms. They even use their off-the-shelf product on their race truck.

Rear:

AAL from Downey is good, OME rear leaf springs are good, so are their shackles. Deaver and Alcan springs are much better.

Hope this helps. Ask if you have any questions. I can recommend several reputable dealers. BTW, I'm running the Kings in front (adjusted to around 2" lift) and Downey AAL + bilstein 5100's in the rear. This combination allows for 32" tire with no rubbing. Ride is very good on and off road.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom