SOLD 01-07 LX470/150-175k range?/Southern Kept Preferred (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Year
Vehicle Model
  1. LX470
Be gentle, I'm a newbie who has learned SO MUCH from y'all and feel like this is the correct next move for me vehicle-wise.

Yeah, that's a big range of model years. So many pros and cons:
-Early models w/o Nav allow me to make head unit upgrades
-03 and up, five speed
-06-07 VVTi, more HP

Looking in the 150-175k mileage ballpark-- I realize pricing will vary dramatically based on model year and condition.
Prefer Southeast-based, as I'm in Alabama (and chances of salt/rust damage are minimized), but willing to travel/fly for the right truck.

Not in a hurry, I know finding the right truck can take months. Any guidance is much appreciated.

Welcome @freewillin!

You may want to check out this thread, particularly the post from @atxboug: SOLD - Atlanta wanted Clean LX470 under 200k miles - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/atlanta-wanted-clean-lx470-under-200k-miles.1230551/#post-13465372

There was some really good info on values, albeit sub 250k miles, versus sub 175k miles. My main suggestion would to not get too hung up on miles, assuming the major maintenance items are complete. Easy to get really excited based on the odometer alone and then you get hit with with a few thousand for timing belt, water pump, bearings, flanges, driveplates, etc. I actually love the AHC suspension, assuming it has been serviced and operates, but it is another system to maintain.

Regarding the different years, '06-'07 does feel faster. IMO, not $3000-$5000 faster than a comparable '03-'05, but it depends on your budget. I had never considered a pre '03 before, due to the points you already mentioned. However, having owned an '05 and '06, I've decided that the Bluetooth interface is garbage and that I actually prefer the "old" dash. Bluetooth only functions as a headset for your phone, no capability to stream music. Incidentally, I never used the buttons on the wheel.

If we assume that the "technology" is irrelevant (just add an aftermarket module to any Cruiser so you can also stream music), the only consideration is how much additional you're willing to spend for the additional HP in the '06+ or for the 5-spd in the '03+. I haven't spent enough time in pre '03s to offer any insight on how the 4spd drives, so I'll defer to others (there are many posts on the subject). However, I personally wouldn't pass up a clean <'03 under the assumption that the 5spd is monumentally better. I'll have the opportunity to put some miles on a '99 soon. I can offer an opinion or at least admit it if I'm wrong.

I hope I haven't muddied the waters for you. You're on a great forum and I'm sure others will PM you with some great rigs they're ready to pass on to the next caretaker.

Good luck!

Welcome @freewillin!

You may want to check out this thread, particularly the post from @atxboug: SOLD - Atlanta wanted Clean LX470 under 200k miles - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/atlanta-wanted-clean-lx470-under-200k-miles.1230551/#post-13465372

There was some really good info on values, albeit sub 250k miles, versus sub 175k miles. My main suggestion would to not get too hung up on miles, assuming the major maintenance items are complete. Easy to get really excited based on the odometer alone and then you get hit with with a few thousand for timing belt, water pump, bearings, flanges, driveplates, etc. I actually love the AHC suspension, assuming it has been serviced and operates, but it is another system to maintain.

Regarding the different years, '06-'07 does feel faster. IMO, not $3000-$5000 faster than a comparable '03-'05, but it depends on your budget. I had never considered a pre '03 before, due to the points you already mentioned. However, having owned an '05 and '06, I've decided that the Bluetooth interface is garbage and that I actually prefer the "old" dash. Bluetooth only functions as a headset for your phone, no capability to stream music. Incidentally, I never used the buttons on the wheel.

If we assume that the "technology" is irrelevant (just add an aftermarket module to any Cruiser so you can also stream music), the only consideration is how much additional you're willing to spend for the additional HP in the '06+ or for the 5-spd in the '03+. I haven't spent enough time in pre '03s to offer any insight on how the 4spd drives, so I'll defer to others (there are many posts on the subject). However, I personally wouldn't pass up a clean <'03 under the assumption that the 5spd is monumentally better. I'll have the opportunity to put some miles on a '99 soon. I can offer an opinion or at least admit it if I'm wrong.

I hope I haven't muddied the waters for you. You're on a great forum and I'm sure others will PM you with some great rigs they're ready to pass on to the next caretaker.

Good luck!
Damn this group is unbelievably helpful. Really appreciate the insight. I like car tech... the 00-01 would allow easy customization of the head unit. At the same time, you don't buy a 20 year old car for the tech... I'm leaning in to the 5 speed being a higher priority as I talk to more owners. Extremely grateful for the thoughts you shared!

Recently bought an '06 LX470 w/ 140k miles for $18,500 (for price reference). I wanted a lower mileage/higher year vehicle for all the obvious reasons (less overall wear and tear, more power/MPGs) and only looked at '06-'07 models. Now that I've spent some time on the forum, I'd probably open up my search window to include '03-'05 at the minimum, but likely all years, and just look for the rig/deal that most appealed to me. The MPGs of the '03+ isn't as big of a factor for my use case (non-daily driver seeing maybe 3-5k miles a year), and while I love the way the truck drives I usually don't flog it and don't plan on adding a bunch of weight so the extra power is just a luxury. While it's not a major concern, it sounds like the 5 speed and VVTi are added complexity over the earlier model years and I'm not really seeing a 'can't live without it' benefit from either.

My long-winded point being, decide if those later "upgrades" are actually beneficial for your use case and worth the extra coin/longer search. I do regret spending what I did on what I got only in that I would have been able to jump into modifying it earlier. It's still amazing stock and I love the truck, but if I could do it again I would do it differently.

Recently bought an '06 LX470 w/ 140k miles for $18,500 (for price reference). I wanted a lower mileage/higher year vehicle for all the obvious reasons (less overall wear and tear, more power/MPGs) and only looked at '06-'07 models. Now that I've spent some time on the forum, I'd probably open up my search window to include '03-'05 at the minimum, but likely all years, and just look for the rig/deal that most appealed to me. The MPGs of the '03+ isn't as big of a factor for my use case (non-daily driver seeing maybe 3-5k miles a year), and while I love the way the truck drives I usually don't flog it and don't plan on adding a bunch of weight so the extra power is just a luxury. While it's not a major concern, it sounds like the 5 speed and VVTi are added complexity over the earlier model years and I'm not really seeing a 'can't live without it' benefit from either.

My long-winded point being, decide if those later "upgrades" are actually beneficial for your use case and worth the extra coin/longer search. I do regret spending what I did on what I got only in that I would have been able to jump into modifying it earlier. It's still amazing stock and I love the truck, but if I could do it again I would do it differently.
Incredibly helpful, thank you!

I'm in the market as well with similar preferences. What search engines have people had success son other than craigslist and autotrader? I am finding that there is much to be desired in the car search engine world.

This one might fit the bill for one of you. Clean carfax (GA/NC vehicle), some dealer service history, 154k miles, $15.5k. No idea of anything about it beyond the listing/online info - Used 2005 LEXUS LX For Sale at Impex Auto Sales Inc | VIN: JTJHT00WX53550758 - https://www.impexautosales.com/used/LEXUS/2005-LEXUS-LX-dba82c3a0a0d0c147ea2b5d7ea9fb9db.htm
Good stuff there! Am I crazy to think that and the offwhite/sand dollar may be my least favorite colors? I like silver, I may like light blue, I just don't love the in-between :)

I just bought a 06 LX out of Texas, 180k miles on it, it is rust free and all the maintenance is done. I missed the boat on the one in Atlanta (guessing same one mentioned above) because I procrastinated about 1 hour too long and it was gone. Also missed one in Tuscon at a dealer because I wanted to make sure it was what they said it was and that is tough to do from MI. You may need to trust what the buyer is saying about it, and they are willing for you to put a deposit on it to hold it until you can have a PPI done.

With a little luck and patience you can find the one you want, they go fast if they are reasonable priced and in good shape. It really helps if you have the funds ready to go, if you have to go through a bank do all the paper work now so that when the right one pops up you are ready. Otherwise it will be sold by the time you decide to buy it.

Good luck with the search.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom