00 Tacoma ticking noise at idle (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

desertdude

SILVER Star
Threads
95K highway miles, always serviced. The water pump, and timing belt were changed at 65K. The noise which has been around for 30K miles almost a year, seems to somewhere at the bottom of the truck. It is now louder. It sounds like metal clicking goes away when you raise the idle or just head down the road. The ticking accelerates with the RPM's. Anyone have a clue at what this could be? The dealer cannot located the issue. ( should I be surprised

desertdude

first guess, injector tick. My 3.0 V6 minitruck ticked more loudly as it got older. Have you done an injector cleaning?!?

yes, it was done twice with the respective maintience services. Still i think you maight have nailed it.

I have found a cure... I am trading up for an 04- if all goes well tomorrow :)

Thanks for the troubleshooting tip!

Well i am happy to report that trading in the 2000 with the ticking noise for an 04 with the same features fixed the problem. With 1.9% it was a no brainer :) I have 149 miles on it all ready

I had a similar tick on my 00. They replaced the water pump and it was gone. ???

Through out my normal maintienece schedule my water pump and timing belt where changed. On my last visit the lame dealer wanted to continue to tear the motor apart... (typical) I work on my FJ40 with all the labor of love I can offer and enjoy it. On a new or semi new truck I find no joy in it... That said upgrading was the best thing I did. Toyota are practically giving away new trucks!

Let's see a pic of the new rig, I drive a mildly lifted/modified 01 Tacoma TRD and am pretty happy with it. Check out www.customtacos.com for all sorts of Tacoma stuff. Here's my Taco as of a few months ago, it now has new wheels, flares a body lift coming soon and a few other mods.

Nice Tacoma!

My 00 was Black Sand Pearl I was seduced by the color,  this time it is all about white :)   thinking of larger tires and a lift...

Snow in the desert last week

it is the valves. my friend had the same thing. THey just click after a while and you can get a valve adjustment but it doesnt always solve it. It is not a big deal other than being annoying.

Hey I think I ended up with your old 00 Taco. I just got it about 2 weeks ago with 116K on it and it now has this ticking noise. The noise is coming from the front of the engine and will increase when the RPM's increase. I was thinking it might be a valve but in some other post I have heard that it might be an injector or a water pump. I need opinions on what is the best action to take on this problem. Sorry trading in the truck is not an option at this point.

Well I discovered the source of the clicking noise in my truck. It was coming from one of the spark plugs. Unfortunately I figured this out after the tip of the spark plug had become detached from the rest of the spark plug inside the cylinder and evidently destroyed one of my cyclinders. I was driving it yesterday and the ticking got worse then the check engine light came on and then it starting missing. All this happened within about 20 seconds. So I pulled the plugs to check them out and found this one plug that was jacked up. Then I found another plug that was also coming apart. I did a compression ck on the engine, 3 cylinders are around 150 and the other one will not even hit 30. So I am pretty sure it is trashed.

My 2000 with 94,000 mi has done it for at least 50,000mi. I just got used to it, my mechanic said it is nothing to worry about.

Sorry to hear that the cylinder is dead. There is always the small solenoid @ the firewall close to the slave cylinder that likes to "tick" as well.:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom