Builds ROTW: Ginericfj80's 1994 FZJ80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ginericLC

Wagon Wheeler!
Threads
GINERICFJ80’s 1994 FZJ80

First, about the name. My name is Eric and my wife’s name is Ginger so combined you get GINERIC. We’ve had GINERIC license plates for years on a variety of cars. It sort of really fits this one as it is white/black. The bar codes on the rear deck lid and under the front door handles actually scan GINERIC if you had UPC code reader. Oh and when I adopted the screen name and email addy I had a 91 so it was an FJ and not an FZJ. It has stuck so I’m not changing it now.

This is my 3rd 80 series and I’ve sort of been building this one really slow. I started building it in June 2005 after we sold our 91 wheeling 80. I’ve owned this one for about 3 years. I am the 4th owner. The first two owers were related and of the Busch family. And the last two are related too, me and my dad. About 4 years ago at Thanksgiving on Thanksgiving Day my dad and I trekked up to Boise to take a look at it. This thing was beautiful. It even still had the plastic on the carpet. He covered the seats and had another layer of carpet installed over the rear cargo area. I had sold my V8j60 and my 76 yellow 40 the weekend before and I was in the market for a Cruiser. My son's pending birth caused the other Cruisers to go. It was a little out of my price range. So that Friday my dad bought it and I bought his 91. Another interesting thing about the 91 is that I sold it to my dad in 1996 when it came in a Chevy dealership I was working at. My primary concern in building the rig was to have a useful rig that can be driven to the trail, haul our pop up camper, ocassionally tote our horse trailer, and be able to fit the dogs and all of our 3 year olds gear.

EXTERIOR SPECS Front to rear:
Front Bumper: No name bumper which was a last ditch effort to get the stock bumper off before CM. I’m currently designing a front bumper to integrate a Warn XD9000i I just bought. It will be 2” tube similar in shape to what I have.
Hella 550 driving lights switched and relayed controlled by a foot switch where the dead pedal used to be.
Nothing special under the hood right now, I’m working on a dual battery mount to hold two Exide Orbitals both on the DS in a slightly larger box, The 1FZE has 213,000 on it and is running strong.
The hood has a conglomeration of stickers from various TLCA clubs. The centerpiece is an original 1976 TLCA logo which is actually a digital print on vinyl.
Wheels: Mickey Thompson 16x8s with 3.6” backspacing for a slightly wider stance
Tires: Toyo Open Country MTs, probably the toughest nonSwamper tire made. At 78lbs each for the 315/75/16 they are heafty beasts
Gears and Lockers: Factory retrofitted lockers with stock gears (possible diesel swap has made me stall on the regear) I ran wires from the rear to the front and installed factory pins using BostonMangler’s instructions. Amsoil Grease and knuckle rebuild this spring.
Slee Caster correction plates
OME J springs
OME L shocks
FZJFillmore bolt in spacers in the front
Metal Tech Protype Sliders, the cat guard is killer! I’ve slammed it hard and not moved the sliders.
Custom Rear bumper: Frame was not cut but center crossmember was partially removed, main section is 3x6” rectangular tubing notched over the frame rails, 5/8” plate recovery mounts bolted to the frame and welded to the main section, sides are 2x4” recutangular tubing, corners and ends are capped with ¼” plate, ¼” plates mounted to frame with 3/8” bolts using nut clips clipped through the plug hole with two new holes drilled, the side supports are 1x2” 3/8” thick tubing, Swingout is hinged on a 1” trailer spindle with the tube actually being from a semi truck leaf spring. Swingout is 1x2” 3/8” tubing with a 40 series license plate bracket. The swingout is undergoing revisions. It need to tuck closer to the body as it drags on steep obstacles. It is still better clearance wise than the manufactured bumpers other than maybe the 4x4 labs but I want more clearance.
Skidplate is a home built ¼” piece of plate with a piece of angle iron running doen the edge of the frame using factory bolt holes in the frame. Probably the crappiest welds around as the angle iron was recycled and was coated with teflon. But so far it works.
Vent shields on all the windows, it came that way and until they fall off I enjoy cracking the windows without the wind noise or rain.
91 Fender Flares with bedliner coating. I like the narrower flares and I have to run them. I’ve been pulled over multiple times for not having them on. Tires exceeding fenderwell is what the ticket is called.
Factory Roofrack
Toyota sunroof deflector
Stickers: Lots of stickers on the sides, my favorite is American Gunslinger which is a digital print of a watercolor my wife painted, she is the WildWildWestArt.com on the side. This keeps it from looking like the typical white wheeling 80s.
69 FJ55 4 wheel drive emblem, 100 series lift gate emblems
Rock lights in various spots under truck
Custom 2.5” pipe center dump exhaust by Discount Performance Muffler with resonator

INTERIOR SPECS:
Factory Cloth Interior Driver seat has no rips or tears.
Center console has a custom cushion on the top of it, done by previous owner and I love it
Console is actually out of my 91 as I modified it for the changer and just swapped them out.
1000 watt power invertor mounted under DS front seat
Sony Xplod CD receiver with MP3 Changer controls and 10 disc MP3 changer, each CD has about 120 songs changer is mounted in the center console. Also has an aux input for computer, DVD player, Ipod
Speakers: Front and Rear doors Infinity Reference 6.5” rear required spacers, I like that the silver ring on the grills matches the door panel trim
3 Cigarette lighter plug ins mounted below a Radio Shack CB w/ PA and Weather functions
Weather proof AC outlets mounted next to High Low Shifter which are connected to the Power invertor another outlet is mounted in the PS rear panel where the ash tray orignally mounted for the 3rd row
Osram Flex Head Map Light
Garmin GPS 5, External Antenna, MapSouce Software and Gateway computer
Accessories are hard wired to a 6 fuse panel mounted on the DS kick panel. It has a fusible link and heavy guage wire running to it.
Does have the 3rd row seats in storage
Rear panels are also from my 91, rear pouch removed from PS so I can store more junk between the panel and the body. They are hammered. I have an idea for a custom panel. I just haven’t had time to mount it.
Rear shelf which will someday be a rear drawer system. This allows you to fold the 2nd row seats and have a decent sized sleeping area and it just so happens one of our pop camper matteresses fits in there perfect and is also covered in grey velour.
Center diff lock switch and 7 pin mod
Wood 4 high/low shifter (I have a couple of these available for $30) My uncle makes them each is unique
7 pin trailer wiring kept in rear DS access panel, it keeps it out of mud and from getting broken

FUTURE MODS:
Remove the rest of the of the gold trim, front Toyota symbol will be done in glow in the dark white lettering, Note: Repainting the grill with Charcoal Rustoleum Metallic paint looks very nice.
Add 60 series side emblems, I had them on prior to the stickering
Build front bumper, maybe a stinger. My 91 bumper had a stinger at one time but I removed it because Id didn’t like it
Install winch, add winch contols to dash using factory switches in the two blank spots furthest left. Extra ETC switch will turn the winch on and off and a power antenna switch will handle the in and out duties
Laptop mount
New center console
PA speaker under hood for CB
Add 1” hoops to rear sides of bumper
Gears should I decide not to go diesel 4.88s
Aisan Hubs
Someday Longfields
Thicker tubed rear control arms
Dual batteries in custom tray in factory DS location
Big Lights, I miss my Hella 4000s
Paint fire engine grellow
Find a 45 wagon specific emblem to add somewhere, I want an emblem of every Cruiser wagon on my 80.
Finish drawer system and rear side panels with access doors
More stickers  Send me your LC club sticker!

TRAILS: This isn’t a mall Cruiser!
Rusty Nail, Pritchett, Hell’s Revenge, Golden Spike, Metal Masher, Steel Bender, Carnage Canyon Idaho, Meatgrinder, Lost Trail, Top Ripper, Bulldozer and someday the Rubicon! Plus lots of unnamed trails.

MOTOS: “dents are like tattoos but with better stories” Every dent I’ve put in a rig has a story to it and most of the stories are better than the stories folks have about their tattoos.
“real environmentalists don’t pave roads” this is the truth. Paved roads are poisonous! The leach toxins into our environment. If we did not have a paved road system people would not drive so much which further deteriorates the world. I prefer to take the unpaved road in this adventure we call life.

OTHER CRUISERS: I learned to drive in a 78 FJ55 when I was 10 or 11. But it took many years for me to get my first Cruiser of my own. I dabbled with Toyota pickups for awhile before going back to my wagon roots. First Cruiser: 1985 FJ60 350TBI custom bumpers and sliders, snorkel, h55f, Ranger Underdrive, ARB etc… 76 FJ40 bone stock needed resto but complete and good body. 83 BJ60, died of Canadian Cancer. 69 55 basket case turned into a parts truck, 74 40 baset case burned in rear started parting, sold it, and now I bought it back to build, 76 40 302 Holley injection, SOA, 36” Irocks blah blah blah was built by Cruiser Ken. That rig was instrumental in me deciding to build this 80 to wheel. I realized there was no space in a 40 for all the junk and if I was going to have a 40 I also needed a tow rig. One day in the hot sun doing 220 miles was enough for me. 78 40 project truck, Maybe extended body on an 80 frame using 80 drivetrain and suspension? Also in the mix in there was another 94 FZJ80 and more recently a 94 80 series parts truck.

CLUBS: TLCA, charter member of NW Cruisers. Lone Star Land Cruisers Associate, Tornado Alley Cruisers, and Wild West Off Road (multimake local club, but 3 80 series members :) ) Currently I’m the MSVP for TLCA.

Last edited:
Console pictures. Obviously you can see why a new console design is on my list. Too much stuff!
94fzj80consoleaccessories (WinCE).jpg
94fzj80consolelid (WinCE).jpg
94fzj80MP3changerswitch (WinCE).jpg

Driver's side kick panel with fuse box and foot actuated Aux. light switch. 1 click is driving lights, 2 clicks is rock lights. Dead pedal was removed for more leg room.

Even the little guy's seat has the 80 script on it.

Infinity Reference speakers: Although they may not be audiophile quality they suit this Cruiser very well and the grills look nice in the door panels. To me audiophile speakers in a Cruiser are a waste of money. Mine have been covered in snow and mud more than once and with tires, exhaust, etc... it isn't really an audiophile environment.
94fzj80footswitchfuses (WinCE).jpg
94fzj80lccarseat (WinCE).jpg
94fzj80frontdsspeaker (WinCE).jpg

The Exterior:

TLCA 30th Anniversary hood, still missing a lot of chapters

DS rear view, home built rear bumper

PS front view, Metal Tech Sliders, MT Classic 2 wheels, Toyo MTs
94fzj80hood.jpg
94fzj80dsrearview.jpg
94fzj80psexterior.jpg

Last edited:
Rear bumper side mount: 1/4" plate, 3/8" bolts with clip nuts installed through factory plug into new holes drilled into the frame.

Power invertor: under DS front seat

Rear bumper and Swingout: 3x6" rectangular tubing, notched to go over the frame, center crossmember partially removed, the remaining has two 1/4" flat plates with holes drilled in them to act as another mounting point, 5/8" plate steel used for recovery points welded to the bumper and bolted to the frame.
94fzj80rearbumpersidemount.jpg
94fzj80powerinvertor.jpg
94fzj80rearbumper.jpg

Nice rig and write up.:cheers:

Thanks for contributing.:cool:

Love the car seat, to cool dude.

Nice rig.
I case you didn't know you also made the front cover of Colorado Hgh Trails Mag (3rd quarter 06), put out by the Colorado Association of 4wheel Drive Clubs.

Hmmm! I didn't know that. I'll have to look into getting a copy of that.

Toyo 315's look Amazing on your rig!! I have those same tires. Just waiting for my lift to come in so I can mount them. :grinpimp:

Good looking wagon there mate.
Not to sure about all the stickers on the paintwork though, everyone to there own.

Those are the first non OEM wheels that I've seen that I've actually liked. Nice looking Cruiser.

nice truck, i like the advertizing

Wheels were not chosen for looks but for function. Finding a non custom wheel that has less backspacing to make the Cruiser wider is tough. I came down to 3 choices and this was the best of the 3. I had the Eagle 589s (Mickey Thompson Classic copies) on my other 80 and I think I might still prefer the look of those. But these are definitely growing on me. I'm definitely not liking the maintanence they take. I may get them powdercoated silver. And there is a chance they will end up with beadlocks or even fake ones to protect the rim edges. I'm pretty hard on wheels.

Advertising? Not much a small ARB sticker and a Toyo Tires sticker. Everything else is stuff that has a meaning to me. The WildWildWestArt.com is my wife's website. TLCA.org, Pirate4x4.com, Ih8mud.com are all pretty self explanatory to LC folks. Planet4x4.net is sort of like a mini Pirate for Idaho. Everything else is LC Club related. The window stickers are the Air Force Wings that fly out of Mountain Home where I live. Very important people to me. I'm not military but I respect the job that they do for us. I have a whole story about how the LC clubs are arranged on the hood. There is a meaning in that too. But it is basically just drivel nobody really wants to hear about.

ginericfj80 said:
I have a whole story about how the LC clubs are arranged on the hood. There is a meaning in that too. But it is basically just drivel nobody really wants to hear about.

from a guy who has a sticker or two of his own i would actually appreciate some drivel. so bring it.
dmc

Eric -

Great rig. I like the stance and remember you had something similar on your 91.

The 91 was a little wider with 3.25" backspaced wheels. In my opinion it was perfect.

Oh and I think I may have forgot this. I run the narrow 91 flares on my 94.

The whole GINERIC persona is actually an oxymoron. If I truly wanted a generic Cruiser, I would have a white FZJ80 with OME springs, an ARB bulbar, Goodyear MTRs, Slee or Hanna Sliders, and some sort of manufactured rear bumper. And no disrespect for you people who have that rig. It is a mighty fine setup. A few years ago I was at a Cruise Moab and there were like 20 white 80 series all set up very similar in the parking lot. At that point I looked around at all of the 40s and realized no two were alike. I thought about it some and said I will not be confused when I go to CM in my white 80, it will be different enough that I will know which one is mine. I enjoy the new colors we are seeing on 80s now. Mark's Orange and Christo's Yellow are a welcome sight for my eyes. Really 80s are pretty bland when it comes to color choices in the US. Some day it will be fire engine grellow. The yellow safety green color of fire trucks. I've never seen an 80 this color but when I lived in Guam the Search and Rescue 60 series came this way from the factory with that color paint. The stickers are sort of a temporary solution to hide the white.

On the stickers per Dave's request. Since I basically built this rig this year which is TLCA's 30th I decided I would go with the original 76 logo on the hood. I first saw this logo in 1997 when I met a long time TLCA member Todd Farnham. He's actually probably the guy driving my rig in the photo in the current Toyota 4wd Owner Magazine. In the CO High Trails photo that was definitely my handywork or lack there of. Anyway, he has an original TLCA sticker on his 40. I love the red/white/blue color combination. Go figure! I'm the same guy who painted an American Flag on the hood of his 60. So I paid somebody to clean up the old scan I had of it and I had it digitally printed as the center piece. The front 3 original stickers were of NW Cruisers (I was a charter member), LSLC (I was an associate member), and Tornado Alley Cruisers (I'm a current member). Then from there I continued with the TX clubs. From there I went to the California Clubs. There is a TX/CA rivalry so I put them next to each other to fuel the fued. It is a friendly fued. After that I put GA Crusiers originally this was to balance out Channel Island Land Crusiers on the other side as they both sent me huge stickers. The Channel Island Sticker lasted less than 2 weeks. And there sticker is a beauty! From there I went to Wasatch and Rising Sun. These two clubs sort of go together as they both work on Cruise Moab. Also included is the unoffical Wasatch Cruiser Jeep Recovery sticker. I love that sticker as it reminds me of time I spent with the Ski Patrol. Plus I'm a Cruiser biggot. I generally enjoy wheeling with Cruisers and other Toyotas more than other vehicles. You'd never find me on the trail with an h2 ever again. Toyota's don't seem to break as much. This is based on my personal experiences. From there I put Cascade Crusiers right on top. I enjoy Cascade Cruisers a lot. They are some great people and they are almost local for me :). And they too sent me a huge sticker. From there I went with cartoonish logos and tried to group those together. And then moving around I tried to balance some color. NW Cruisers big sticker and the Nor Cal 80s (unclub group) sticker was placed beside it to fill in the big gap left by the missing Channel Islands sticker. From there I just tried to balance size and color to make an interesting pattern. Cottonland and TTR were late entries and that is why they are at the top. Oh and it took me about 6 months to collect the chapter stickers. I would have loved to had all. As it is many of the stickers were hard to get because many of them have member's only clauses in their bylaws.

On the sides, I have TAC (teq) emblems, the US flag, and the Don't Tread on Me! Gadsen flag (http://www.usflag.org/history/gadsden.html), TOYO, OME, Go Fast (it is an energy drink and one of my friend's owns the ID franchise), 4x4 spirits (a Japan sticker I traded for a NW Cruisers sticker circa 1999),PIG (I'm an avid 55 guy wannabe), and an ARB sticker. Lower I have TLCA.org (I thought I should advertise the association I'm involved with), Planet4x4.net (Idaho's version of a tamer Pirates), Pirates, of course Ih8mud.com, and lastly Jeff's Pirate Cove which is a bar/grill/touristy place in Guam (Imagine a place Jimmy Buffet would hang out). The back sections are two paintings my wife did that we had digitized and then her website address. www.wildwildwestart.com I'm a crappy web designer. Under the front door handles are the UPC symbols that say GINERIC and there is a big one across the back in the center (now hidden by the spare tire), and there is the Hot Wheels with the Toyota T on the PS rear lift. Remember I have a 3 year old who worships Hot Wheels!

That's it! Not a very interesting read. But as Paul Harvey says, "Now you know the rest of the story!"

ginericfj80 said:
I thought about it some and said I will not be confused when I go to CM in my white 80, it will be different enough that I will know which one is mine.

Should have painted your rims gold if you wanted to be unique ;)

Any bigger picures of the front bumper?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom