for those of you who have built or bought after-market tire carriers... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm in the process of designing a tire carrier/ cooler combo and have a soft top tailgate model. And I'm trying to decide if i want to have (1)one swing arm with both the tire and the removable cooler rack on it that would go the length of the bumper (which looks cleaner), or (2)two swing arms and have the cooler swing arm removable. I will be using the IPOR spindles.

All things be equal I'd go with the cheaper design but here are my concerns with the one swing arm design:

1)In order to open the tailgate I'd have to open it to 90 degrees which will put the arm sticking four feet out, being a bit of a danger but also not allowing the gate to open if there is someone behind me closer then that.

2)on the one arm design for people to climb in the back, with out opening the arm they'd have to step on the arm, I'm fearful that if one of my fat friends steps on it it will screw something up.

3) last but not least, i plan on fish out of the back of my truck at the beach (dont worry i'm rust proofing the s***e out of the whole rig). so in order to sit on the tail gate the arm will have to be open for extended periods of time. i feel like a 40lb cooler 4 feet out would but a ton of stress on the spindle, even if there werent a tire on there.

Are these concerns valid or should i save myself the $70 buck in parts and go with the one-arm design.

Jim

If your fat friends can hurt it standing on it it is not strong enough, I make mine with a single swing arm but only half way the cooler carrier is a slip in you can have access to one back door with it in, cheers, Larry

I guess that structurally two arms makes more sense by putting less stress on like you say. If you go with one arm it might be a case of "suck it and see" unless you can find someone who has done one like that already. You might find that the spindles are strong enough that the problem may come with what you mount them in. I would find out from the spindle manufacturers how strong they are and then over-engineer your mounts to be stronger.

I will be tackling a similar project in the future so I've kind of been thinking about it for a while. A kaymar rear bar would probably suffice for me but I always think I can make a better one taylor made for my needs, lol. And they are pricey too!

Another thing I am thinking is wether having two swing aways will become tiresome every time I want to drop the tailgate. Having one might be a better option if it is strong enough.

Could you post a pic of your spindles? Or if you have a link to the manufacturers pics that would be good to.

Good luck and I'd love to know what you decide

Lupdog:)

Larry,
I didn't think of that option, with the half single arm and a slide on tire carrier. Like Lupdog said two swing arms mights become a pain in the butt. Guys thanks for helping with the decision. Fabrication should start in a week or two so I'll start a post.
Jim

junglejim83 said:
Larry,
I didn't think of that option, with the half single arm and a slide on tire carrier. Like Lupdog said two swing arms mights become a pain in the butt. Guys thanks for helping with the decision. Fabrication should start in a week or two so I'll start a post.
Jim

Can't wait to see the pics. :)

I personaly own one of the full length Con-Ferr models that spans the entire tailgate/rear rig. Having used it for a while now, I personally think a 2 part rack is the way to go. On mine I have a cooler/storage, 33" tire, 2 gas can holders and when I swing it open, it is heavy enough that I feel the need to build a support arm under it that goes to the ground as it really is rather heavy and tilts down.

I do not think the 2 sided rack would get tiresome at all if you want to span the entire tailgate. As a matter of fact, I think in the long run much easier (for the reasons you mention) especially when fully loaded.

look at some of those cool 2 part man-a-fre models for inspiration: http://man-a-fre.com/parts_accessories/towbumperHDtirecoolercarrierFJ404Plus.htm

my .03 cents

How about a folding single arm? Kinda like a single arm, but hinged in the middle to fold back against itself. I was thinking about doing something similar a long time ago, never really planned it out completely, so I dont' know how realistic that idea may be.

The basic idea would have it be like a single swing arm (with the tire nearest the hinge) until you open it, then the tire portion would swing out 180 degrees, but the part with the cooler would be folded back on itself to cut the distance in half.

Drawbacks would be:

1)When in the closed position, the arm would now be two pieces, meaning there might be some rattling since it's no longer one solid bar going across. I thought maybe putting a catch across the center hinge would help a bit to make the whole thing act as one piece

2) you'd have to swing out the arm greater than 90 degrees, which would be a problem with large tires hitting the body

3) the spindle still has to be just as strong or stronger, since there could be a chance that all the weight could still be fully extended.

Good luck

I am by no means an expert but I did just fab up a Tire Carrier on a swing out. My cooler carrier is on its way, but it is up and running for now.

Here is a link to my build-up

https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=75040

I don't think two swing arms would be any less of a hassle than a single arm. If you use a central latching system, you would simply unlatch and swing both arms out... not a big deal at all.

I do like the support of two arms over one. But I do prefer the look of the single arm, which is what I built.

I can't see how a cooler will jack up your swing arm even when loaded down with a cooler and tire and left open for a long period of time. Just remember gussets are your friends. The IPOR hinges are so stout, I have zero flex at the hinge.

However, you may want to consider using 1/4" material at the minimum for your wall thickness, I used 3/16 and wished I had gone a bit beefier.

Just be ready to put some coin into the hinges and latches, niether of these can be skimped on and still yield a safe, durable product.

All things considered, fab time, material cost, fab time, parts, fab time and fab time, I can see why the 4plus carriers are so expensive. In fact, I think that they are a a great deal once you try to build one yourself.

FWIW, I have around 40ish hours and 240 bucks into mine.

Hawkdriver had a build up as well, you can search for it.

Good luck, I am interested in hearing what you decide.

Rezarf <><

Here's a pic of mine. It's all built with 1/4" wall tube. I think that for the main bumper that is fine but would prolly go with 3/16" for the carrier tubes. This thing is heavy, stout, but heavy. I wouldn't worry about your friend standing on a 2 arm setup. I've sat on the end of my 4' long arm and had no flex at the hinge or in the arm itself, and there is a lot of leverage there. You can read up on mine as well as the many other buildup threads here for good discussions and such.

I'm with Rezarf, those prefabbed production units are well worth the cost. I'd say in time and consumables and materials I'm well over the cost of just throwing down the cash, and even though it's in use I'm still not even finished with it. It is in no way less expensive to build your own. But only the long learning process will teach you this unfortunately.

All in all it's a blast to build s*** so maybe I'm ahead.

Well good luck and look forward to your build up thread. My build link is below in my sig line.
Finished 008.jpg

i was planning on using the latch from the old tire carrier and the catch that is already mounted to the body, will this cut it? I totally agree, if i had the $800 to buy the thing pre-fabbed i totally would but I'm short on cash long on time (the rest of summer break) so its worth it.
I'm stretching about 2 grand to finish my body work, metaltech full cage, this tire carrier, body mounts, and a new wiring harness. And no worries, for the welds on the carrier and the cage i have a friend who is a master welder who will do the job right so all i'm doing on those things is tacking it together.

Hawk and Rezarf I've been following you build closely they've been a great help. Everyone i appreciate your responses, every opinion counts since i'm still a youngin in this game, even if i have been working on this thing for six years.

HawkDriver said:
Here's a pic of mine. It's all built with 1/4" wall tube. I think that for the main bumper that is fine but would prolly go with 3/16" for the carrier tubes. This thing is heavy, stout, but heavy. I wouldn't worry about your friend standing on a 2 arm setup. I've sat on the end of my 4' long arm and had no flex at the hinge or in the arm itself, and there is a lot of leverage there. You can read up on mine as well as the many other buildup threads here for good discussions and such.

so, do you think the flex in my Con-Ferr is in the hinges or in the way it is mounted to the body panel? In my system, there are 2 (top and bottom) versus your 1 and yet I still get it getting the gravity pull to the ground when I swing it open. For example, when I unlatch it and swing it open it flexs down to the point that when I swing it closed, I have to lift it up .5-1" right at the end to get the tube to line up to drop the 1' pin down (they use that system versus a latch).

carrier.jpg

here is an old photo of the system when open. and I now have a cooler carrier, 33", 2 jerry cans, hi-lift.

Last edited:
REZARF said:
I don't think two swing arms would be any less of a hassle than a single arm. If you use a central latching system, you would simply unlatch and swing both arms out... not a big deal at all.

Rezarf <><

Hmmm.....one catch for two arms. Never considered that but the idea has legs. Damn Rezarf, why did ya have to go and move the goalposts on me!!! Oh well, back to the mental drawing board:D

Um, Socal, I don't know. Keep in mind that my hinge pin itself is 1.5" in diameter. It does not flex down when swung out at all. Then again, most of my wieght is near the pivot point. It I sit on the end of it I get the whole truck to sag but the arm and hinge and bumper themselves stay solid with no flex.

I'm not really familiar with your setup. Are your hinges loose at all or is your latch maybe out of adjustment. Don't really know man.

:frown:

I just figured I would ask since you just wet through a lot of this on your build and you might have seen or been through it as it is fresh. though you can clearly see that my hinges are no where near the size yours are, though I do have 2 to distribute the weight, I am still surprised at the amount of flex in it. I 'suspect' it is a mix of (1) the tie in at the body and (2) maybe old and played out hinges. though all is tight at the bolts and there are backing plates on the frame where the hinges tie in, I think it is kind of designed poorly. just as there is that vertical pillar on the left that the carrier butts up agianst and acts as the closing mechanism (look close and see that a rod drops down) I think a better design would be the same vertical pillar on the right that the hinges tie into versus the actual body. that vertical pilar you see on the middle right ties into the body just for support, but other than that, the carrier just closes up against it.

no worries. I do not find the need to open it much as I can get in and out and access with the top off alsways, but is just kind of came up in this thread. I might look into it further one day after I do the like 128 other things that need more attention.

wantatlc said:
I think it is kind of designed poorly....

Hit the nail on the head....

There once was a carrier that bolted to the quarter panels, sold by SOR and others I am sure....thought that it was a ConFer...could be wrong....Had one on my truck for about the first four years....opened it once with the gas cans and 31" spare...went right to the ground.

It is garbage.

4+ carriers are worth every penny.

:beer:

Poser said:
opened it once with the gas cans and 31" spare...went right to the ground.

:D too funny.

When that day comes and mine hits the ground, then I will buy something better for sure - until then, I roll with my leaning Con-Ferr - I just remember to never open it :)

I personally really dig those 4+ ones sold by MAF that I linked to above. That would likely be the one I bought.

I like the new style....

attachment.php

But the 'old one' works well too...

(here on bunnyhills Orange truck)

Twisted-2005-46.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom