Got a LC stamped fiberglass bezel! (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So, I decided after all my research and efforts, the affordable, obtainable fiberglass bezel was the best route for me to go if I really wanted a stamped bezel on my FJ.

So, with the help of Tim over at Landcruiser Specialties, I ordered this bezel. The price was great and shipping fast and he was super helpful on the phone answering my questions about 'glass bezels.

here is 'the' coveted stamp
bezel1.jpg

here is the front
bezel2.jpg

here is the back
bezel3.jpg

here is a closer view of the 'glass
bezel4.jpg

since there is not much written on these forums about fiberglass bezels, I will take this thread to document the process of prepping, priming, painting, modding and mounting as they are not ready to mount as is as you see it here right out of the box.

though I like the chrome look on my current bezel as it matches some of the other chrome pieces, I think I will end up doing this one in matt black as I like it over glossy (since I cannot likely pull off a chrome look on 'glass). I will not likely paint the stamped LAND CRUISER a different color as I want it to be kind of subliminal.

MTNCRZR -

follow the link to the bezel above for most current pricing and such, but the current price at time of this post was $109 + ship and Tim waives the $10 box fee for us Mudders!

So in the end, you are looking at approx. 3-4 times less than an original, assuming you can find on. As as someone else said, I am not doing a restore so did not NEED an original, but I was partial to a metal one as I wanted it chrome like my current bezel. but, just wasn't going to happen.

Franky40 said:
The finish looks a little rough in the pictures. Do you think it will take much prep work to have it ready to paint?

not really. My pictures suck as I am not photo pro and work with a decent digital, but it may seem rougher in the photos than it is. I was actually surpirised about how clean it was. (naturally, I wil not do anything to the back side unless I need to sand it down to get it to fit flush correctly).

it comes with some kind of white type primer. This will need to be scuffed up for true primer I was advised to use prior to my paint of choice. But, before that there are a few imperfection high spots that need simple 400 grit sandpaper to even out. nothing major at all.

the holes do not come drilled, so you need to drill, sand those for mounting. those areas for the holes are the roughest part of the mold for sure, so that is about as bad as it is if you can see them in the photos.

I think the toughest part will be to get the paint right from a rattle can - which is what I will use.

wantatlc said:
MTNCRZR -

follow the link to the bezel above for most current pricing and such, but the current price at time of this post was $109 + ship and Tim waives the $10 box fee for us Mudders!

So in the end, you are looking at approx. 3-4 times less than an original, assuming you can find on. As as someone else said, I am not doing a restore so did not NEED an original, but I was partial to a metal one as I wanted it chrome like my current bezel. but, just wasn't going to happen.

Thanks, i think its pretty cool ... :D

so I just spent about 45 minutes prepping the bezel. I sanded it down using 400 grit paper. took out some high spots from the mold and buffed it all out for the primer. 45 minutes seems plenty enough to prep the bezel.

next, I took about 30 minutes drilling holes and laying up for mock-up. I used a dremmel tool on the highest RPM's to drill a starter hole and then used a reaming bit to expand out each hole 1 at a time to get to the right size... lay it up... drill and ream the next. then, sanded and reprepped around the holes.

BUT, I did notice 1 thing that caught me off guard with this bezel. when I laid it up to mock-up, I noticed it did not cover as much space. in the end I measured and the old stock bezel is 10.25"x39.25" and this one is 9.75"x39". .5" in difference on tall side. not sure why as it is made from a mold, so I will call Tim to check on that issue. It still covers everything, but still....

photos to come...

Does anyone have a close up of the red paint in the stamped sectionof a very stock bezel? I'm painting mine and I want to get it as close to stock as I can.. I need to see how far the red goes up on the side of the letters. Thanks!

Congrats! I know that you have been looking for one for quite some time.

Overall, are you pleased with the delivered product?

Looking forward to seeing the finished product!

Brian

wesintl said:
Does anyone have a close up of the red paint in the stamped sectionof a very stock bezel? I'm painting mine and I want to get it as close to stock as I can.. I need to see how far the red goes up on the side of the letters. Thanks!

I bet Steve is the only person you might get a photo of that from since he has a black bezel with red lettering. did you PM him? if you get one, post it up. I am curious also.

Done....

AZkick-n40 said:
Congrats! I know that you have been looking for one for quite some time.

Overall, are you pleased with the delivered product?

Looking forward to seeing the finished product!

Brian

final
bezel8.jpg

I so suck at painting, I had to do it 2x as my first coat ran a bit. In the end, turned out pretty nice I would say. I used a flat matt black rattle can enamel.

All in all, I am happy with the product, quality, price, etc. My only issue is that wierd size descrepency... not bad, but it needs to be larger and taller mold made to make a bezel that covers more as the original does. I would reccomend it, just be aware of that. it is actually stronger and more firm and stout than I expected. nicer as well as I expected it to be much more raw than it was.

looks great ! my bezel came up a bit on the short side also . kinda was a bummer at first ,but i'm used to it now .. did yours just fit or is there a bit of a space on the top and bottom ? i still love this stamped bezel though . i got mine used ,i may be able to mess with it a bit for fitment . but i got lazy
IMG_0556 (Medium).JPG

pbgbottle said:
looks great ! my bezel came up a bit on the short side also . kinda was a bummer at first ,but i'm used to it now .. did yours just fit or is there a bit of a space on the top and bottom ? i still love this stamped bezel though . i got mine used ,i may be able to mess with it a bit for fitment . but i got lazy

we have a similar setup - I also have the stone guards. in the end, I would say it "just fit". yours looks to have a bit more space than mine, but not by much. I ended up elongating the holes on the vertical plane so I could pull up the bezel as much as possible to cover the possible gap on the top as that is seen more than any gap on the bottom. my picture does show it as well as yours.

where did you get yours from?

what is that paint? looks like metal? dig that look.

would be cool, useful if others posted up their fiberglass bezel photos here. :) show variations in paint and such.

It looks good.. Nice job. I'm just glad you mounted it thick side up

Enjoy

Scott

wesintl said:

Original paint was on the flat section of the letter only....

:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom