Builds Starting my frame off Restore Project!!! Comments Welcomed!!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
After weeks of research and planning... not much else.... Here's what I've come up with. Any advice or comments would be welcomed!

As she sits... I've removed her top... front and ambulance doors...and the spare tire rack. Fenders are this weekend after I take her for her last drive before the "Big Nap".

My plan starts with the frame... After everything has been removed, I'm taking it to Master Blasters in Caldwell to get the frame and axles sandblasted. The frame will then get a nice coat of POR 15.... Still deciding on how to do the axles... POR 15? Also I've heard of some kind of Zinc coating or something? Not sure at this point.

Suspension will all be replaced. Going with the BDS 2 1/2 inch kit with new shocks, springs, bushings, etc... Decided not to reverse the shackles... Call it a feeling...

I'd like to replace the steering components at this time too.

Wheels and tires (no, I don't know what size yet) and a new front bumper will finish out this portion of the project. My goal was to have the frame, axles, and suspension set by the end of summer. Hopefully that will give me time over the winter to take all the doors / windows apart for the body work.

Next portion with be the meat and potatoes... Motor and Tranny...

After researching till my fingers hurt, this is my plan:

Chevy 350 (unknown on crate or rebuild... leaning toward rebuild to save money for the tranny) with a carb. I've read that the old Rochester carbs are the most reliable for off road use. I plan to upgrade to fuel injection in the future, but not just yet...

I'm planning on hooking a GM NV4500 onto the motor. Everything I've read tells me this is the tranny for me. I've been told abut the Chevy SM 465 ( I think that's it) and even the Ford T-18, but it looks to me like the 4500 is the best of both worlds... Real low low end and a respectable overdrive.

Not sure on how I'm going to do the transfer case. Some posts have suggested going with the earlier stock TC's from the 3 speeds. Also, someone mentioned a Dana TC, but in looking that bugger up... 1300 dollars is a little more than I want to spend on a TC. I figure that would be better used elsewhere...

I'm thinking of having the motor work done at a little shop across the street from The Capri Restaurant on Fairview... the guy seemed to know what he was talking about.

Motor, suspension, wheels, frame, axles,... what am I forgetting... Oh yeah... RUST!

I've decided to take advice, and I'm planning on installing the MetalTech front fenders. Also want to put in the MetalTech full cage and front bumper.

As far as the tub goes, I'm pretty sure I'm going to replace the whole thing. Probably going to go part by part. The last complete tub I saw was 3500 dollars plus shipping. Tub's going to get Rhino Lined / LIne-X'd on the bottom and interior.

Going to have the parts all individually shot. Any suggestions on a paint shop would be helpfull. Not going for show qualitly, here... just nice looking.

Interior mods? Found a sweet replacement instrument panel by Dolphin. White background with a tach and other... Also can't decide between the JT outfitters rubber dash or the metal dash box.

Might replace the seats, too, but haven't looked into that a lot. Definitely going to rebuild and re cover all seats if I don't replace the fronts. Finally, Going to put in a lockable box (Smittybilt?) with drink holders between the front seats.

Then it's just a matter of putting her back together!!! (yeah, just that easy, too...)

Figure total project will take me a couple of years. Hopefully time schedule will workout like this... Frame by end of summer... Motor and tranny by next summer... Paint and polish by Summer 2008...

Miscellaneous: New front Hubs... Custom Pittsburgh Steelers Gear Shifter Knob, Satelite radio with USB jack, New Seat Belts, POWER STEERING... Winch...

Let me know what I've forgotten... other than common sense!!!

Thanks for reading the whole thing... I know it was too long... but I had to get it out of my system...

thegreencantina said:

Lots of Pics!!!!!

Good luck.

Brian

Bag and tag everything. Good luck to you.

Check the thread on the 1973 resto. It is more than impressive, and should help insprire you.

I guess by reading your post its a 40 for some type..what year is it and what are you starting with shape wise...:) I'm slowly collecting parts to do the same with my 1962 FJ40.

Good Luck and stick with it....
Don

bandy rooster said:
whats your planned budget?

Party Pooper! My LC "budget" is similar to every other budget I've made......
out the window. I feel about the LC the way Imelda Marcos feels about shoes.;)

Somebody on MUD has the best sig line...."Buying parts I don't need with money I don't have to impress people I don't even know"......That's Killer

Ed

Budget (what's that mean?)

I'll be posting some before pics... I won't lie, she is one ugly woman... (I hope she doesn't read this...) But true beauty comes from within... I've never seen an ugly cruiser... They're all beautiful...

Honestly, I'm trying to keep it under 10k.... Let me rephrase that... My Boss (read "wife") is hoping to keep it under 10....

The local sand blaster quoted me 100.00 for the frame, 50 per axle, 50-75 per door, 75 for the hood and around 100 for the top. Like I said, I'll be getting new parts, probably from Cool Cruisers or the Ebay company, for the tub, so no sandblasting there.

So hopefully around 600 t0 700 total on the sandblasting... I've started grinding on a door with an angle grinder... hour later, decided 700 bucks isn't bad...

Not sure on the cost of POR 15... Hundred bucks?

Found the BDS lift for less than 800...

I found a brand new NV4500 on Ebay out of Phoenixhardparts.com for 1100. I don't know about adapters, but I'm figuring around a grand.

Motors are a dime a dozen... I found a 1989 4WD truck with rebuilt 350 and auto tranny for 800 dollars yesterday... but that's next year...

Add $500 for a new welder (I love my wife....)

Tub parts are looking around 1500 to 2000.

Add a thousand for wheels and tires... 1000 for fenders cage and front bumper

Throw in paint (no idea) and rhino lining, around a grand...

Ok... so maybe 10k is optimistic... but I'm going to try....

And as far as the '73 restoration, he lives in the same area I do, and it's a mortal sin that I haven't gone and looked at it in person. That man is a God... (blasphemy... I know... but have you looked at that thing???)

I will be recording the whole ordeal... Yeah, that's a good term... "ordeal"....

Thanks for the post and looking forward to more advice!!! Thanks!!!:cheers:

Might want to check out the OME dakar for the same money as th BDS. I hae no experience with either, but haveing ridden in trucks with the standard OME kits, they were far better than my skyjacker kit, and light years better than my pro comp -"argh my kidney" -kit.

Sounds great, I am getting ready to a similar deal on a 71 but I have a great body to start with and it is already running a 4 speed and was converted to v-8. Picking up the motor in a few weeks.

What's your plan for electrical? Since you will have the whole thing apart anyway and those wires are over 30 years old, any plans with a harness? I have looked at Painless ($$$$$$$$) but will likely go with an 18 circuit unit from Ebay, EZ something or other for a much lower price.

Have fun and take photo's!

Pete

blueticker17 said:
Lots of pics w/ digital camara. I just finished mine and the pics were great. I took almost 1,000.

Blueticker17 - post them up!

The Painless wire harness is actually a good deal, because every little wire is labeled and is set up for just about everything you're doing to your rig. I have it on mine and it was pretty much worth the money, because they include everything you need to do the job, minus the wire cutter and wire stripper/crimper. I think you should give the Painless harness a good looking at and seriously consider it, for it does make the job a lot easier. Good luck, and have fun wrestling with your beast, you will love it that much more when you are finished!

Go slow and invest more time than money.

oldIron said:
What's your plan for electrical?
Pete

I am planning on upgrading. Everything works, but I want to upgrade to the newer fuse style. The only downside I've found other than price, is that you'll have to do a little customization.

The cruisers came stock with quick connectors on the headlights, rear doors, and interior light to facilitate taking the lid off.

But I don't think that will stop me.

I'm thinking Painless. Little more, but honestly I haven't done a bunch of research on wiring harnesses yet...

I just finished tearing the guts out of the driver side door. I figure I'm going to have to go with a Soft Top now, because there is no way in HELL I'm going to be able to get all that stuff back in.....

Finally some Pics

Here are the pics of my baby when I picked her up...

I'm thinking of this as less than a restoration, and leaning toward a resurection...

True Love... through and through....
Landcruiser for post.JPG
Landcruiser02 for post.JPG
Landcruiser03 for post.JPG

One thing that I know I am going to do is do all of the modifications first, and then remove the body etc. so that you don't have to cut off new paint for some of the work that you want done, then you can drive it and make sure you like the mods etc. This is what I am going to do, so I can have nicely painted frame after power steering, shackle reveral and other mods. And if you plan on changing engines, you could have the cut in the hump where you need it and paint over it so it is a finished product when you get the body off the frame. Just an idea for you.

thegreencantina,

I started a very similar project with my Dad that was supposed to be my first car. It is still in the garage (16 years later). I actually had it on the road last summer and tore it apart this winter for another round of improvments and changed half of what we already had done. Based on that experience of getting it back on the road I'll offer my advice.
1) it will take 3 times longer than you think.
2) if you are going to do the work yourself it will cost twice as much as you think.
I suggest you think of it as a process than as a product. I agree that if you are going to do it, do it right. But I'd narrow your focus a little. Start with the basic components and take a crack at those individually and build it one level at a time. Why not just start with the V8 swap instead of take it down to the bits and peices. Then do the springs and axles. Then do the body and then the electrical. Any order so long as you focus on one aspect or component rather than all the little bits and peices everywhere. You will enjoy the shorter term goals more than spending the next year on jackstands. And you will learn a lot about what you like and don't like about each mod you do rather than finishing a project and then finding the flaws and redoing everything all over again.

In any case, you will learn tons about your Cruiser. There is alot of pride knowing that you built it. It is YOURS and will mean so much more to you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom