Quick Wheel question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Will 16X7 Tacoma wheels fit in my rig? I don't know the stock backspacing on these. They are from 02 Tacoma.

Thnx

Riad,

Those rims should work. You are correct in stating they may be narrow, but I run 33's on the Tundra 16x7 black steelies and they work great. It really does narrow the stance of the truck, though. For me, I run trail tires only with the 16x7 rims and keep the stock rims on most of the time. There are several others on the board that have a similar set up.

What is the offset on the 16 X 7 Taco steelies? I seem to recall that CDan said they were not quite right?

Are the wheel lug nuts the same as the FZJ80?

I would like to use these on my trailer with 285/75/r16 tires...

Thanks

Mike

The offset on the taco wheel is 15mm IIRC which translates to a ~4.25" backspacing. The offset on the stock wheel is 0mm, 4.5" BS.

Lug nuts for steelies are standard acorn nuts. The early FZJ's used acorn nuts, the later FZJ's used shoulder lug nuts which are not campatible with steelies.

Taco steelies should work fine for a trailer.

elmariachi said:
Send a PM to Chris King, valkyrie610. He's a Tacohead and the Parts Manager at Toyota of Dallas and I bet he'd know. Though he may be in Moab, not sure.

Jim

Yeah I believe Chris is out of town for the week. I spoke with Jerald Cooksey to buy a set of 02 sensors.

Back to the question; yes the taco wheels will fit. i just don't know about the backspacing..

I think the offset is 139.7mm :confused: for the 2002 Taco wheels. I like the stance of the narrow tires too. I'm thinking of getting IROKs 36X13.50 for trail use only. I think these wheels would be little narrow for those tires. That's why I was hoping to use these 16X7 with 285s as my DD. And use the stock wheels for the IROKs. What's say you?

Thank ya'll for your input:D

A 139.7 mm offset on a 7 inch wheel would have the hub sitting a good inch and a half or two outside the rim's outer lip. I think you're looking at the lug pattern -- 139.7 mm is 5.5" :D

The offset on the Tundra wheel should be about +13mm -- that would equate to a 4" backspacing, not counting the rim/flange depth of about 1/2".

Pondering on this a little bit, the only thing the Tundra wheel really has going for it is its cheapness. I've heard of guys getting them from local dealerships for something like $25 a piece just because they want to reduce the size of their stack. That aside, unless you WANT to narrow your stance, the Tundra offset is going the wrong way. To keep the same track width as stock, you'd want a 16x7 with a NEGATIVE 13 offset.

Just thinking out loud. Apologies if I'm preaching to the choir.

Thnx for the info on Tundra wheels. I'm gonna stop by at the dealers and see if I can look at one.

I don't know about your area, but around here there are many people that drive straight from the dealer to the tire shop. For a while I had a set of 5 taco black steel takeoffs that I had gotten from a local tire shop for a total price of 3 crisp portraits of President Jackson, with tires included that still had the little rubber nubbies on them. It may be worth a few calls to see if any of the bling shops has a set... they usually just ended up recycling them by the pound, so they are generally motivated sellers.

That's why I was hoping to use these 16X7 with 285s as my DD.

Riad,

I would not run 285 75 16 on a 16x7 rim AS A DD. I don't mind the narrowed stance to and from the trail and going a few miles an hour through the mud, but if it came to an emergency maneuver on the street with day after day driving, I really think that your ability to control the vehicle could be affected. Again, I have not had a specific experience, but I was really surprised by the "narrowing effect" that they had on my cruiser. Just my .02

well, I have experience running 285s on 16X7s, not on the 80 but on an Xterra. It had 16X7 stock wheels with 5.0" BS. I was running Goodyear MTRs. It was fine. Didn't have any issues. Ofcourse it had IFS at that time before I sased it but let's say Taco wheels have 4.25" BS, that's gonna make a difference in running 285s for handling on an 80? I am wondering why.. :confused:

https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=90535&highlight=16x7

Riad,
This was discussed several weeks ago. I am not saying you can't or shouldn't do it, I guess that I am saying that if I had it to do over again, I would get 16x8 steelies, as I really don't like the narrowed stance that the 16x7 rim gives. The mud tires that I am running (Trxus MT) in a 285 looks smaller than my 275 Revo's- because of the narrow rim. Also, I am not running lift. I know that you are and that may also be something additional to consider.

Thanks Rob. 16X8s are hard to come by. I guess I'm gonna start looking for'em a little harder :) .

Riad,

Here are some recent pics of the "narrowed" stance I mentioned.

May Ride 06 120.jpg

May Ride 06 045.JPG
May Ride 06 120.jpg
May Ride 06 045.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom