3fe - h42- Split Tcase Help me figure this out (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Trollhole

THC
Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
forum.ih8mud.com
I'm in no hurry but I have just aquired my 3rd piece of the puzzle and am trying to figure out waht I still need and what issues I'm going to have. And if this is going to be woth it.

Current setup is a 76 FJ40 with stock drivetrain w/ 4.11 3rds and 35" Tires.

What I have gotten over the past 6 months.

3fe and wiring harness from an 89 FJ62 that I will rebuild 400$

H42 that I got for free from a FJ60. It had a split t case attached to it.

Split t-case from an 89 Fj62 20$.

So far I've got 420$ in it. The rebuild parts for the engine and t-case will be around 1200$.

Questions I have

1. What bellhousing and clutch will work with this? I was thinking of finding a 4spd bellhousing out of a FJ40 and clutch.

2. Any issues bolting 3fe to the bellhousing that will work for the h42?

3. Will a split case from an 89 FJ62 bolt up to a h42 from a FJ60?

4. Will I have enough room to make this work without having to cut the tranny hump and crossmember?

5. How much will this lenthen or shorten my front and rear driveshafts?

6. And last but not least how will all this effect my gearing. I know the tranny output will be the same but what about the T-case? How are 4h and 4l effected?

Thanks for your input.

See answers embeded in the quote.

Trollhole said:
I'm in no hurry but I have just aquired my 3rd piece of the puzzle and am trying to figure out waht I still need and what issues I'm going to have. And if this is going to be woth it.

Current setup is a 76 FJ40 with stock drivetrain w/ 4.11 3rds and 35" Tires.

Consider regearing if you're planning on keeping the 35's with the 3FE. The 2F can handle this combination but I don't think the 3FE will.

Questions I have

1. What bellhousing and clutch will work with this? I was thinking of finding a 4spd bellhousing out of a FJ40 and clutch.

A 2F flywheel and clutch will work. The FJ40 bellhousing will work. You could use one from an FJ60 but then would need to fab a crossmemeber.

2. Any issues bolting 3fe to the bellhousing that will work for the h42?

None.

3. Will a split case from an 89 FJ62 bolt up to a h42 from a FJ60?

Dunno.

4. Will I have enough room to make this work without having to cut the tranny hump and crossmember?

Dunno.

5. How much will this lenthen or shorten my front and rear driveshafts?

The front driveshaft will need to be longer and the rear shorter, but don't know by how much.

Thanks for your input.

If your FJ60 H42 is late model (I think post 10/85 or something like that) it will be 4" longer than an FJ40 H42 (same length as H55F).

If you have the earlier H42 the overall drivetrain length will be very close to what you have now. If this is the case no tranny hump mods.

I'm pretty sure the split case from the auto won't bolt up to the H42.

All split transfer cases were mounted with a cross member, do you have the one from the FJ60? You can make it work.

Why not mate your current H42/tcase to the 3FE? Seems like a lot of work to get no where. Except once you have the split case the orion isn't an option.

Hi All:

Below you will see the break-down of the transfer cases used in US-market FJ60 and FJ62 Land Cruisers (conveniently "snipped" from Spector Off-Road's online catalog.)

So, on the surface it does not seem like the 'split t-case from a FJ62 will work with a H42 manual tranny. The only way to find for sure is to try!

There are two versions of the H42 that were used in the FJ60; a "short" model and a "long model." To clear the crossmember on your FJ40 you'd want to use the "short" H42.

I agree with "Cruiser Ken," why not just use the H42 already in your FJ40? It should bolt-up to the 3F bellhousing.

Good luck with the project!

Alan

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

068-09S-U U TFR CASE-8/80-10/82

068-09T 9TFR CASE-10/82-4/85

068-09U *9TFR CASE-4/85-4/86

068-09V *9TFR CASE-4/86-8/87

068-09W *9TFR CASE-8/87-1/90

Just to clarify, any 74-80 4-speed bellhousing will work. The one in the truck now is fine.

Either clutch will work, E-74 coil spring or 74-end diaphragm. But you have to have the entire system: clutch, flywheel, release fork, pivot ball, TO brg. Again, the one in the truck is fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom