How to save a M8274?? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all,

I'am looking into buying a used Warn M8274 winch and was wanting to know what I needed to do to rebuild it. The seller clames that it works, but I want to make sure that I'll work for years to come. I know that I should rebuild the motor, or replace it, but what else needs to be done?? And how much do you think it will cost me what is needed??

Thanks
my64fj40

I would get it first, and then look at some things....

The lower drum bushing on the side opposite the gearbox and seal on the gearbox side of the drum.

If you have it mounted, and it freespools without too much effort, (now remember, you will be turning all the gear, minus the motor drive gear when pulling the cable out by hand, so it is not going to just peel off the drum, but you should not have to use a vehicle to make it freespool ;) ) then the brake is probably al right.

Make sure that the seal on the brake shaft is not leaking/weeping. If it is, replace it.

Motor/solenoids....

If these work, I would not mess with them.

I had an intermittent power in solenoid pair last year, and replaced all four. This is on an 8274-50 that has seen A LOT of recovery use in the last five years. Solenoids are cheap and easy to have in your vehicle as spares. I have a lower bushing/seal kit, brake kit, and solenoids with me when I leave on an out-state trip, but that is just me.

Get yourself some good 00 welding cable for power leads, both positive and negative.

Oh...and when you have this, get the serial number off the top, and call 800 543 WARN, and tell them what you have, and they will send you an owners manual, and a parts breakdown if you request it.

They are the best electric winch, hands down, without question, for the front of a 40.....(older owners manual for the 8274 even had drawings of a Land Cruiser demonstrating winching techniques)

:beer:

Last edited:
When you get the winch, I just got one, should the drum be fairly stationary when attached to the gear box or should it have a little slop up and down, I hope this makes sense, just trying to see if I have problems, Larry

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom