Euro-spec headlights (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

mot

Threads
Some of you might know that I was thinking about getting my hands on the Euro-spec lights for the 80 (OEM; LHD).

They showed up today and I am just a little excited. :rolleyes: :D

I'll start with my usual step by step introduction...

Pic1: The box(es) they came in.

Pic2: After opening the top cover.

Pic3: The back side.
Mud1.jpg
Mud2.jpg
Mud3.jpg

Pic4: Close up of the back side (Does this make it DOT/SAE approved?)

Pic5: Apparently, the back side is shared among many different markets, hense the HB3/4 markings

Pic6: The other side/bulb's marking.
Mud4.jpg
Mud5.jpg
Mud6.jpg

Pic7: Top view

Pic 8: Outer H1 high beam side

Pic 9: Inner H4 high/low beam side
Mud7.jpg
Mud8.jpg
Mud9.jpg

Pic 10: Front view

Pic 11: Marking close up

Pic 12: The other marking on the lense
Mud10.jpg
Mud12.jpg
Mud13.jpg

Pic 13: I ordered this with the lights (Any guesses?)

Pic 14: Different angle

Pic 15: Voila! :D
Mud15.jpg
Mud16.jpg
Mud18.jpg

Pic 16: Bottom view

Pic 17: The connector for the dial/switch(?)
Mud20.jpg
Mud21.jpg

mot said:
Pic 13: I ordered this with the lights (Any guesses?)

Pic 14: Different angle

Pic 15: Voila! :D

:confused:
to control illumination? the amount of light?

So this set up enables the headlight leveler(?)/adjuster to be installed. [edit] I think this came standard on some (all?) Euro 80's.

I have not taken the time to look through the instruction and chances are it's beyond my capabilities as I'm a 1/4 banana man.:D

These lights (the ones I ordered) are for '95-'97 80 series with LHD set up. I am planning on installing them once I get back to the US. I am not sure if they would hold, but I would like to install the IPF 100/170w H4 bulbs and either 100 or 130w H1's for the high beams. I can dream a little, right?

Anyway, any thoughts?

Mot

I don't want to be driving towards you at night :rolleyes: :grinpimp:

mot said:
So this set up enables the headlight leveler(?)/adjuster to be installed. [edit] I think this came standard on some (all?) Euro 80's.

I have not taken the time to look through the instruction and chances are it's beyond my capabilities as I'm a 1/4 banana man.:D

These lights (the ones I ordered) are for '95-'97 80 series with LHD set up. I am planning on installing them once I get back to the US. I am not sure if they would hold, but I would like to install the IPF 100/170w H4 bulbs and either 100 or 130w H1's for the high beams. I can dream a little, right?

Anyway, any thoughts?

Mot

very nice! is the leveling gizmo part of the package or is that separate?

I guess it's safe to assume that the shape of the LC headlights are the same globally? The LX 450 lamps are shaped a little differently, as is the grill. Not to make you paranoidl...but these are the same shape as what you'd have when you get back to the states...if they let you in :D

NorCalDoug said:
:confused:
to control illumination? the amount of light?
Nope, for adjusting the angle up/down, useful when your cargo area is loaded down I suppose.

clownmidget said:
I don't want to be driving towards you at night :rolleyes: :grinpimp:

If I ever get them installed, just like the Safari kit! :rolleyes:

NorCalDoug said:
very nice! is the leveling gizmo part of the package or is that separate?

I guess it's safe to assume that the shape of the LC headlights are the same globally? The LX 450 lamps are shaped a little differently, as is the grill. Not to make you paranoidl...but these are the same shape as what you'd have when you get back to the states...if they let you in

I could have ordered w/o the leveling dial for a little less, but you know me when it comes to gizmos, gadgets, and bling. I just can't help it!:crybaby: :D

You can have them if they deny me the entrance into the US (hoping for a visit sometime before this fall).

Mot ;)

I don't suppose you could run fogs in the inner lenses eh? That would be a clincher for me ..

Cool stuff Mot.

:beer: :beer:

T Y L E R said:
I don't suppose you could run fogs in the inner lenses eh? That would be a clincher for me ..

-T-,

You up still or already? :D

I think the lense cut/texture is made for high beams. If you want to run yellow H1 bulbs, then you get the "look". ;p

Or you can run the yellow, outer H4's with low/high and have the H1 in clear for better lighting further down the road. :grinpimp:

I'm not sure if these lights would be any better than the normal US-spec 80's HB3/4 lights with HIR's anyway. ;)

Mot

mot said:
-T-,

You up still or already? :D

I think the lense cut/texture is made for high beams. If you want to run yellow H1 bulbs, then you get the "look". ;p

Or you can run the yellow, outer H4's with low/high and have the H1 in clear for better lighting further down the road. :grinpimp:

I'm not sure if these lights would be any better than the normal US-spec 80's HB3/4 lights with HIR's anyway. ;)

Mot

Don't ask ... down for 2-10, up for 20-30. Repeat .. :doh:

I'm confused here:confused:

I can run inner clear high beams .. with yellow low/high? What do I use for everyday driving? The yellow low?

TY

T Y L E R said:
Don't ask ... down for 2-10, up for 20-30. Repeat .. :doh:

I'm confused here:confused:

How do you (and your body) handle it? :eek:

T Y L E R said:
I can run inner clear high beams .. with yellow low/high? What do I use for everyday driving? The yellow low?

If you go with the outer H4 low/high yellow beams, your low would be in yellow as well as when you turn on the high beams it will carry the high beam pattern with yellow light. But you would also have the inner H1 high beams come on when you turn on your high beams. At least that's how I understand it.

Also, just so I won't make it too peachy, this would be an easy (relatively) swap for the JDM/OZ/Euro-spec cruisers that utilize the outer H4 (and inner H3), but most definitely require some wiring/harness molestation to make it work on the N. American-spec 80.

Mot

Cool lights, I've done several euro conversions over the years (not to the 80 tho). Those height adjusters are cool, as long as you have the motor drive for them in your lights (presume you do).

The E code lights are US legal as stamped in the lense. Most folks have problems with the side marker lights(the very front quarter panel ones) that are usually deleted with the big body euros. There is some grey DOT enforcement area with regard to these, as the city lights tend to be an issue (BTDT). If those side markers fit, put them on. If they don't, you can use the parking light function in your turn signals (add 1157 parking/turn socket), and add any brand/marque DOT side marker light.

I've used E codes for almost 30 years, and find them to be excellent. I also find that DOT inspections can be really tough. I've actually printed off the DOT regulations and carried them in the glove box for those occasions. It's a hefty fine, and a lot of states are getting smart about those revenue dollars (read: PA especially).

Regarding high wattage bulbs. Coming from a Prorally background, as well as doing a few of these H4/H1 conversions to other marques, here's my suggestion... Put standard H4 55/65 in the outers and rig them normally low/hi (with relays). For the H1, put in a 100w bulb, and add a switch in the dash that activates them with the high beam circuit. This setup gives you standard 55/65 low highs for regular and high moisture driving, and 100w for when you realy want to light up your world. Much over 100w bulb, you will get some dangerous reflective feedback, in high humidity environs, and on highway going by really big signs (blinding reflective light for a couple seconds can really mess you up).

The biggest problem with high wattage bulbs in the H4 outer lows, is the 15degree upcut on the euros will piss off a lot of big trucks as you are passing them, btdt. Plus, given the size of the housing and the lense pattern, a standard bulb is just fine.

Yellow lenses or bulbs just reduce light output lumens by around 15%. Putting a yellow bulb on a high beam driving lense, isn't going to give you much improvement, nor is it going to make a good 'fog'. Best get a dedicated fog light/lense for that.

Dan, are these LHD euros available thru the US parts network?
Nice lights.

Scott Justusson

Drove a Saab through Sweden with the light height adjuster. It's a really useful feature when you need it (once a month or so): heavy rear loads, thick fog, or night driving on clear roads.

So...how much?

Scott,

Thanks for the tip!

Here are some pics I just received with them installed (on the RHD rig).

They would cost $670 plus shipping or I might be able to get a $20 break if more than 1 set was ordered at a time. This includes the leveling switch. Again, it would at least require for you to get a different socket for the H4 bulb (the H1 ones come with them, I believe). So this obviouslly is not a mod for the faint of heart nor wallet. :D

Mot
P8250195.JPG
P8250192.JPG
P8250196.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom