89 3FE Fuel leak please help! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This is the future ex wife's cruiser, an 89 FJ62, it is leaking fuel out of this anyone have any idea what it is and how to change it, lookl like a fuel line going in under the cap with a union but I cant get a wrench in to it. I had to remove the hood just to look at the top. its close to the fire wall on the drivers side of the head..kind of, this view is from the passenger side.
Thanks in advance
fuel.JPG

Tonka is right - that is the FPR. Little copper crush seals with a weird tag - they look like copper washers with a square tag on them. I have no idea why the tag is there, but who knows.

Hot tip - buy some crappy wrenches and make your own custom "shortie" if you have space problems. 4 1/2 angle grinder with a zip disc does the trick.

-Jack

That is the Fuel Pressure Pulsation Dampener. It has two metal seals.

FPPD 23207-46010
upper gasket 90430-12005
lower gasket 23232-41081

Good luck getting a wrench in there. I think we used a short 20 mm or 22 mm I think it was.

Last edited:
Also, are you sure it is leaking from there? It could easily be one of the injector seals. Over time they become hard and don;t seal as well as they once did.

Aseif007 said:
Also, are you sure it is leaking from there? It could easily be one of the injector seals. Over time they become hard and don;t seal as well as they once did.
Yeah, its comming from the top of the thing.
Thanks

Aseif007 said:
That is the Fuel Pressure Pulsation Dampener. It has two metal seals.

FPPD 23207-46010
upper gasket 90430-12005
lower gasket 23232-41081

Good luck getting a wrench in there. I think we used a short 20 mm or 22 mm I think it was.
Wow part numbers and all..Thanks!

The only time I've seen anyone get to one of those with a wrench it was with a crows foot. I think its a 17mm. I don't care how short you're wrench may be theres no room to turn it or ratchet. You'll nee a crows foot, extension and ratchet. Good luck to you.

BGarcia88FJ62 said:
The only time I've seen anyone get to one of those with a wrench it was with a crows foot. I think its a 17mm. I don't care how short you're wrench may be theres no room to turn it or ratchet. You'll nee a crows foot, extension and ratchet. Good luck to you.

Ive seen them in the snap on cataloge allways wondered what you would need them for...now I know, perhaps I should stop wondering about stuff ?;)

Aseif007 said:

If it is the fuel injector o-rings, that is an easy enough job. Just do one at a time. Inspect all the new orings before instalation. For the insulators, get the ones for the camry engine I think. They are the same size and half the price.
Part Number:

Insulator, Fuel Injector - 23291-41010

gdtrfb said:
very nice looking rig, don't see much road salt does it;)

not much snow in Santa Cruz, CA....

Hopefully it will see some sand and salt flats in Baja this summer. San Ignaciao to San Juanico - part of the Baja 1000 course.

-Jack

tonkota said:
If it is the fuel injector o-rings, that is an easy enough job. Just do one at a time. Inspect all the new orings before instalation. For the insulators, get the ones for the camry engine I think. They are the same size and half the price.
Part Number:

Insulator, Fuel Injector - 23291-41010
I'm sure its the fuel damper, I can see it coming out of the top when the thing is running. @ 200K+ miles I can't begrude it a little tlc now and again!

pplkook said:
not much snow in Santa Cruz, CA....

Hopefully it will see some sand and salt flats in Baja this summer. San Ignaciao to San Juanico - part of the Baja 1000 course.

-Jack
NICE!!

gdtrfb said:
Wow part numbers and all..Thanks!
Replaced it last week, droped the gaskets a few times! :doh:
but managed to find them each time. "LC" runs great now.
I tried a short 22 MM from sears but it would not fit so I bought a auto zone special 7/8 crows foot, it was a little loose but it worked.

Thanks one and all for your help.

what size are your tires? and what lift do you use? thank you

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom