Driveshaft bolts?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all,

I'm looking into getting some new driveshaft bolts for my driveshafts and also because I can't remember where I put them. DOH!

But is there anything special about them. Are they made to break at a certain point or can I just buy some grade 8 from a local nut and bolt shop.

thanks,
my64fj40

pick and pull??? :D

The driveshaft bolts have an unthreaded part of the shank where it goes through the flanges. A regular bolt will have threads that go all the way up from the head. Because of this, the regular bolt is more likely work itself loose, with the result being your driveshaft disconnecting. Not a fun experience.

So OEM bolts are considered choice. You can get them from online suppliers and Toyota.

David is correct about the bolts for the driveshafts having the shank, and these are the prefered fastener for the job.

With that said however, I have ran 5/16 grade 8 fine thread bolts with metal locking nuts as my driveshaft bolts for years, and then when I changed things around a bit, I ran 3/8" grade 8 NF bolts with metal locking nuts.

It can be done, and has been for years. The horror stories that you have, or may hear about bolts falling out and driveshafts hitting the ground at speed are not lies, there have been pictures out here of the mess that creates....

When I use stock Toyota bolts and nuts, I use blue locktite with them, always.

Good luck!

-Steve

Steve, I have had the shanked OEM bolts come loose on me and wanked my driveshaft on a couple of occasions. I will always blue loctite them now.

I also carry 4 spare 3/8" bolts with locknuts in my toolkit, and have had occasion to use them before I read your loctite recommendation (for which I am grateful :)) .

if your talking about the ones that hold the driveshaft to the yoke, please remembe to put a bit of locktite on them.
i had a tcase totally explode because some of those bolts loosened up enough to allow slop DOH!!

rusmannx said:
if your talking about the ones that hold the driveshaft to the yoke, please remembe to put a bit of locktite on them.
i had a tcase totally explode because some of those bolts loosened up enough to allow slop DOH!!

don't the yokes on the t cases have a bigger locknut under the driveshaft flange?

mel lowe said:
high jack

torque specs for the dshafts bolts?

Fing tight!

(with blue locktite :) )

bad_religion_au said:
don't the yokes on the t cases have a bigger locknut under the driveshaft flange?

Yes. That is not what were are all finger banging about here....

But since you brought this up....

This gets red locktite....and staked if it is a stake nut...or a cotter pin on the older gems!

Back to driveshaft fastener tech....

My bolts have a hex head that is smaller than usual for the body diameter. The unthreaded shank is also longer than normal for the length.
The smaller head makes assembly much easier.

Poser said:
Yes. That is not what were are all finger banging about here....

this is why it sounded like it was what you were banging on about it

rusmannx said:

THe stock type bolts are much more better than regular grade 8 bolts. Never had a problem with the stock bolts loosening, but the standard grade 8ers will back off. I still run grade 8s on the front, but check them often.

Just went by the local Toyota dealership today and got the twelve bolts, washers, and nuts on their way.

Took forever to find it on the computer though because I call it a driveshaft, but Toyota calls it a propeller shaft.

The guy told me that there is some place in San Antonio just north of me, a Toyota/Lexus dealer that supposedly(spelling?) has a bone stock cruiser, completely restored. Sounds pretty cool, would like to check it out some time.

(The guy at toyota called it a j**p, so I had to pick on him a little)

my64fj40

my64fj40 said:
The guy at toyota called it a jeep...

Will probably be one of the first fjcruiser owners...

Remember.....blue locktite is your friend.

:beer:

I know this is an old thread, but it has some good info.

Poser, can you tell me why the diff between 5/16th and then 3/8ths? Which ones fit better? I like the idea of saving a bit of coin on these.

These would be for a 76 fj40.

I know this is an old thread, but it has some good info.

Poser, can you tell me why the diff between 5/16th and then 3/8ths? ...
0.0625 inches
rimshot.gif

funny...

I went ahead and ordered the full set of OEM bolts from CruiserDan... They were cheaper than I thought!... :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom