Diamond Plate Dash...? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everybody...I've got a '73 fj40 and I'l like to put a diamond plate panel on or replace the current dash panel with diamond plate...I've been surfin the web but have only found them pre-cut for Jeep CJ's. I can go pick up a panel from Lowe's or something and cut it, but apparently I can just cut it normally because I hear that it leaves "burn" marks and doesn't look very nice. I guess you have to cut it in some kind of solution, but before I get at that I thought I'd see if any of you have done that or know any better ways....or possibly know any place to get a pre-cut piece. Thanks a bunch.

Here:

It is a PITA to cut, flip it over and cut it on the back.

Last edited:
Those gauges are badass!

Txram99 said:
What did you use to make the cut? That does look really nice.... Like the pictures...

i got a couple of ideas :idea:

you can cut it with almost any tool you use to cut wood ,no burn marks here? if you are worried about a smooth edge also, just get a sharp bit and run a router around the edge , maybe even rub some wax on it before you cut it , make sure you wear full face protection when you cut it it ,i cut aluminum all the time on my radial arm ,and table saw ,no big deal , even used my circular saw . just watch out it doesn't bind with the circular saw , jig saw is the easiest but ugliest , just use sharp blades , no burning , cuts like butter ,

Thanks all, I just used a jigsaw (skil saw). Found out after a couple of blades that a wood blade actually works the best. The bezel on the gauges helps to cover-up any inconsistancy in the cut. In addition, I just made sure to grind all the visable edges and it came out alright. It is a great way to get a "fresh start" on a mangled dash.

why not hole saws?

has worked great for me when I have needed to put larger holes in steel and aluminum.

good luck!

-Steve

bandy rooster said:
HIJACK: Jhaha where did you get those guages and how much did you spend. they are really nice man

Hit up Summit

That is where I have picked up all the Auto Meter products that I have installed on trucks over the years....

I am sure that Jegs would have the same products...

:beer:

jhaha said:
Here:

It is a PITA to cut, flip it over and cut it on the back.

ha, my speedo reads the same as yours, no miles either :D what did you use to hook up your autometer speedo to your tcase?

Shane

It seems to me like the glare would be unbearable with the top off and the sun behind you. Especially if it was behind you and low on the horizon... I could be way off on that though.

I got them all from summit, like poser said. My speedo cable is a stock LC one, works great, slides and clips right into the autometer speedometer. I had my trial run to the paint shop the other day, needle is steady all the way up to about the 55 mph mark, didn't get more than that. A V8 in this thing is WAYYY too much power (is there ever too much?) Bandy I spent a lot, but worth it to me to have everything matching.

jhaha said:
I spent a lot, but worth it to me to have everything matching.

Know the feeling bud...

:beer:

My speedo cable does not work with my auto meter speedo. The speedo is standered thread and the LC tcase is metric. Where have others bought custom cables.

I did mine all out of aluminum also just using my wood working tools along with some custom speaker boxes out of diamond plate. I've done a lot of work with alumumin (building engine mounts for boats and such) and I found the wood cutting blades work the best, the fine toothed metal blades get clogged to easy.
A good table top sander will clean up the edge and a grinder with a polishing wheel and a little compond will make it look like it was done by a pro.
I would post some pics if I were better at the computer. I could E-mail them to someone it the would like to post them.
Steve

albee said:
My speedo cable does not work with my auto meter speedo. The speedo is standered thread and the LC tcase is metric. Where have others bought custom cables.

NEVADA SPEEDOMETER
878 MARIETTA WAY
SPARKS, NV 89431
Phone: 775-358-7422
Fax: 775-358-7488
E-mail: nvspeedo@ix.netcom.com

These folks made me a custom cable to work with my Atlas II and the Toyota speedometer head...they should be able to make you just about any cable combo you can think of....they even had a 1:1 right angle drive adapter for the Atlas on hand....I ended up not needing it, but it was really cool to deal with people that understood what the hell you are trying to do.

Same info in the electrical speedo thread happening on page 2

Good luck!

-Steve

Hi All:

Ugh! Diamond plate! Almost as bad as chrome!

Why would someone take a perfectly beautiful, classic 1950s Japanese-designed dashboard and cover it with crappy alumunim "diamond plate?!?" Probably the same sort of shmuck that would put that crap on the outside of their rig! ;)

Alan
"Diamond Plate Free For Over A Year, And Feeling The Love!"

I love the diamond plate look too and well... like a dummy and against everyone else's opinion, I didn't paint my diamond plate and must confess that the glare is incredible when the suns behind you. Needless to say, mine's getting painted soon. :D Speaking from experience :D As far as using it on my rig, I did it to cover up the butcher that chopped the crap out of my dash. It looked like termites grubbed down.

Horsehead said:
It seems to me like the glare would be unbearable with the top off and the sun behind you. Especially if it was behind you and low on the horizon... I could be way off on that though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom