Front Bumper Project (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

2mbb

SILVER Star
Threads
Front Bumper Project **painted**

[edit]I posted some pic's of the bumper painted on post #58. mbb.

I'm basically finished with the heavy fabrication on front winch bumper project. Still have some finish grinding and painting to do. Most of the fab has been done using a 4 1/2 inch angle grinder and a 110V welder. The bumper started out as 6"x2"x1/4" rectangular tube and it is held onto the frame rails with 4"x1" strip. The plate for the winch is made from some 8"x1/4" plate and some smaller 1/4" thick material. The hoops are from Mark at Metal Tech (Thanks Mark!). Please no jokes about my crappy looking welds!

More pictures at this link: http://www.flickr.com/photos/9233870@N02/sets/72157602836982991/
front bumper fab 09 small.jpg
front bumper fab 08 small.jpg

Last edited:
I agree, looks very good. Did you bend the tube yourself or have someone locally do it?

I really like the big ol' pintle mounting points--what's that...about 1" plate?!!! From the side view, it looks like that is what mounts to the frame; if so, that should be plenty stout!!

That turned out really good man. How long did it take you?

that bumper looks great. where did you get the black plastic molding that is under the lights

SAS said:
I agree, looks very good. Did you bend the tube yourself or have someone locally do it?

I had Mark at Metal Tech bend the tube for me--two elbows and one "u" bend.

Very nice.

Sweet! Would you consider making more? If so what would you charge?

That is a really really nice looking bumper. Can you provide anymore pics and specs? How is it mounted to the frame?

Very nice work. It provides a lot of protection without looking too big.

Thanks for all the positive feed back on my bumper. It's been a lot of work but I'm pretty happy with how it's turning out.

Man Jerk said:
That is a really really nice looking bumper. Can you provide anymore pics and specs? How is it mounted to the frame?

Very nice work. It provides a lot of protection without looking too big.

There are more pictures through the link in the first post. I had previously taken off the frame horns for the stock bumper. The winch sits on a plate that mounts between the frame rails and the bumper is mounted to the outside of the frame rail. four bolts on each side will sandwich the frame rail between the bumper and the winch plate. I'll also have two more bolts on each side mounting the winch plate to the bottom of the frame rail.

One of my criteria was to keep the bumper tight to the truck--If it sticks out too far it won't fit in my garage. I cut out the back of the center section of 6x2 so I could pull the bumper tight against the winch. I also tilted the top of the winch forward about 10 degrees to get the winch tighter to the truck and gain an extra inch. Here's some more pics...
front bumper fab 01 small.JPG
front bumper fab 07 small.JPG
front bumper fab 02 small.jpg

that is a good looking bumper!!

Nice job. Compact.

Where did you get the plastic gaurds that cover the bottome of the valance and the front of the wheel well openings??

M

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom