Exhaust Manifold Gasket Any comparable Manufacturers? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I checked the stealer and they quoted 53 for it. I know I can get it cheaper from Dan but still will be more than I want to spend. Any comparable manufactuers? I dont want to do it again in a year but dont want to pay those prices either.

SOR's kevlar gasket is the best IMHO. Not a good idea to go cheap on this.

better than stock? and why? Price of you know it off the top of your head? I got one from Mark that was highly recommened when I bought my header from him for the 40 but cant recall what I paid or whether it would be just as good of an option for the factory exhaust manifold.

The best gasket is a Felpro MS22813. Get it at Advance autoparts.

The OEM gasket is foil crap that burns & fails. the Felpro is a nifty material called graphlex, IIRC. It's slickery and almost burnproof. Plus the gasket has large fire-rings.

If you want the crap OEM gasket, just buy anything other than the felpro and you'll get the punched foil gasket.

Ditto. ;)

IIRC Car Quest and CSK also carry the Felpro.

I'm also not impressed with the "kevlar" gasket that Specter sells.

Mark...

FJ40Jim said:
The best gasket is a Felpro MS22813. Get it at Advance autoparts.

The OEM gasket is foil crap that burns & fails. the Felpro is a nifty material called graphlex, IIRC. It's slickery and almost burnproof. Plus the gasket has large fire-rings.

If you want the crap OEM gasket, just buy anything other than the felpro and you'll get the punched foil gasket.
FAWWK. wish i knew this a month ago when i did my gasket

Fel Pro gasket prices....

14.44, price online at Advance Autoparts with the heat riser gaskets included

13.99, at autozone.com

21.79, at Rockauto.com

What impressed me about SOR's kevlar gasket is that it worked on an intake manifold that wasn't perfect (but within specs) & MAF's ceramic-coated 6-2-1 exhaust manifold. But then I like kevlar in general, & didn't know about Fel-Pro's.

I'm using Fel-Pros on my 5.7 Vortec with shorty tube headers & am happy so far. Just now installing their intake manifold gaskets on it (the '98 5.7 has a generic intake manifold gasket problem) & they are way better than GM - metal base, triple silicone lips. Can't wait - been chasing a coolant leak for a year.

I used the felpro gaskets when I replaced my manifolds. I haven't heard a leak yet, and it is definately a quality product.

BTW, use alot of thread sealer when you re-install the bolts, and you will never have to retorque them again.

Depending on your future plans, you might want to consider the head gasket set (HS9833PT1), and just use what you need. Shop around for good pricing.
It could save you both time and a few bucks in the long run.

I'm going to try the felpro gaskets and see how long I can get from them.

Got mine at Oriellys. Think I paid 12.99. No problems yet.

Hodag

yournamehere said:
How many bananas is a manifold gasket replacement. And how long should it take me?

As in how hard or how expensive?

For a 60, I'd say that it's a 6 or 7 out of 10 just due to all of the vacuum lines and crap. It took me about 10-15 hours to do, but that was spread out over a long time and I also documented everything extremely well. I didn't want to screw it up.

For $$$, I spent about $200 between the manifolds, the gaskets and cleaners.

how much?

GLTHFJ60 said:
As in how hard or how expensive?

For a 60, I'd say that it's a 6 or 7 out of 10 just due to all of the vacuum lines and crap. It took me about 10-15 hours to do, but that was spread out over a long time and I also documented everything extremely well. I didn't want to screw it up.

For $$$, I spent about $200 between the manifolds, the gaskets and cleaners.
$200 for new/used manifolds or planing? I'm really hoping that my exhaust manifold is not cracked and at worsed warped. I read a thread here with someone claiming it costs ~ $40 to get plane?? What cleaners did you use? When doing it over a spread out time did you shelter the exposed block area? If so how... want to know because this will be my aproach to doing the job.

Worth it?

jwest said:
Depending on your future plans, you might want to consider the head gasket set (HS9833PT1), and just use what you need. Shop around for good pricing.
It could save you both time and a few bucks in the long run.

How many bannanas on the head gasket replacement (level of difficulty)? Cost on Machining, time and extra $ for misc things ect?

I bought my manifolds from a guy here on MUD, but they were in really good condition, so I didn't have to get them planed. I said $200 because the manifolds cost either $100 or $150, the gaskets, $50 of which I got a manifold kit and a valve cover gasket, and then an aerosol can full of a type of solvent. Basically all autozone items, other than the manifolds themselves.

As for the exposed block area, I stuffed the manifold that I was taking off of the engine with a clean shop rag to prevent anything from falling down into the engine, and after I got the manifolds off, I didn't cover the ports because I put the new manifolds on in a day. My engine fired on one of the first turns.

BTW, I did this swap over a 2 month period due to lack of money and tools and stuff like that.

I have a writeup that I did that is hidden somewhere on the MUD servers.

GLTHFJ60 said:
I thought that it was at least half-way decent.

Here you go.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=57153

YOU DA' MAN... 18 Damn! Good job on that write up. I will refer to it as needed when the time comes and will probably be PMing you a bit too. Again, Good job on that write up! keep them coming for your other projects.
George

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom