how to hinge a bumper mount tire carrier ???(kaymar bumper demensions too?) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just replaced my quarter panels and dont want to ruin them and subject them to un needed rust/stress so I'm going to fab a rear bumper/tire carrier similar to this kaymar one...http://www.man-a-fre.com/parts_accessories/kaymartowbumper.htm (does anyone have this bumper that could give me some demensions on it) For those of you who have made swing away tire carriers i was wondering if you had pics or ideas on how to make a strong hinge as i dont want to have it be mounted of a post. Any suggestions would be great too, I am just in the planning stages.
Jim

I used the SLee offroad spindle setup...super beefy. I still need to put my new latch on, mount the hi-lift and license plate.

tirecarrier.jpg

sideview.jpg

carrier3.jpg

on the iron pig site would i just weld the swing arm to the part of the spindle between the collars or is there more to it. $31 for the iron pig vs. $95 for the slee seems like a big difference, what am i missing?
Jim

Slee uses bearings/race's and machined outershell. I belive IPOR is the shell and bronze bushings(oil impregnated)

Couldn't really tell you which one works better honestly. I went with Slee, Rezarf went with IPOR, i think you'd be fine with both, and both Vendors are present and very helpful here on Mud.

Slee:
sleehinge.jpg

Iron Pig:
attachment.php

Here is a link to my thread, I am dragging my feet but IanB has offered to TIG my junk together in a few weekends! THANKS IAN!

https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=75040

What size tire are you runnin? Factory would probaly be fine for factory size... or will you be drilling into new sheet metal?

Rezarf <><

how long are the spindles b/c i want to use 4"x4" or 2"x4" tubing will they be long enough to reach through and weld at both sides or do i need to go smaller?

Last edited:
junglejim83 said:
how long are the spindles b/c i want to use 4"x4" or 2"x4" tubing will they be long enough to reach through and weld at both sides or do i need to go smaller?

You should probably check with IPOR, but it seemed like they were willing to get you the length you needed, Lance was super helpful, just give them a call.

Without realy measuring, I think I have plenty of "spindle" to pass through 4" material easily.

Good luck!

Rezarf <><

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom