I'm new how do I crank the T-bars? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 99 LC and I am thinking that until I have the money I might level things out a bit and crank the t-bars is there a how to somewhere?

subspd said:
I have a 99 LC and I am thinking that until I have the money I might level things out a bit and crank the t-bars is there a how to somewhere?

Jack up the front end until the tires are off the ground. Start cranking the adjustment bolt. It's at the back end of the t-bar. I think it takes a 30 mm socket to turn it. It's tight, I use a 2 foot cheater bar to adjust mine.

Make sure you measure from the top of the wheel to the fender lip before you do anything while on level ground. This will give you a base height to work from. Then crank a little bit, re-measure, crank a little bit, re-measure, etc. Once you have one side at the height you want, crank the other side to match.

You probably already know this but, this will only raise the front end. You will still need to change out rear springs or use spacers. If you use spacers, you're going to have a wild ride. The stock springs are soft as it is, causing body roll. Raising the center of gravity is only going to make them even worse.

I Just put an ARB bar on mine and want to lift the front slightly, If I crank up the torsion bars will I have to get a wheel alignment done, and can you go too far with the adjusters or can I just take them to the limit and level it out side to side.

Greg B said:
Jack up the front end until the tires are off the ground. Start cranking the adjustment bolt. It's at the back end of the t-bar. I think it takes a 30 mm socket to turn it. It's tight, I use a 2 foot cheater bar to adjust mine.

Make sure you measure from the top of the wheel to the fender lip before you do anything while on level ground. This will give you a base height to work from. Then crank a little bit, re-measure, crank a little bit, re-measure, etc. Once you have one side at the height you want, crank the other side to match.

You probably already know this but, this will only raise the front end. You will still need to change out rear springs or use spacers. If you use spacers, you're going to have a wild ride. The stock springs are soft as it is, causing body roll. Raising the center of gravity is only going to make them even worse.

Hey Greg, if you're free next weekend ya wanna come up and do mine?! I'll buy the pizza and beer. :D

brett0004 said:
I Just put an ARB bar on mine and want to lift the front slightly, If I crank up the torsion bars will I have to get a wheel alignment done, and can you go too far with the adjusters or can I just take them to the limit and level it out side to side.

If you are lifting the front a couple inches then yes you should definitely get the front end aligned. Caster will also change (caster is checked as apart of most comprehensive front end alignment procedures) as your front height is changed...at least mine did.

I dont thik it would lift it anywhere near 2 inches with the standard bars, I probably am talking an inch at the most. but I will get the alignment done anyway. cheers Brett

brett0004 said:

If you added an ARB that made the front end sag, you can raise the t-bars back to stock and you won't need an alignment. You should only need an alignment if you raise it higher than stock.

macneill said:
Hey Greg, if you're free next weekend ya wanna come up and do mine?! I'll buy the pizza and beer. :D

Got a better idea. You drive down, we'll put on the new t-bars and diff drop, and then we'll go wheeling at Natural Bridge. Then you can drive home instead of me. :D

In my case, the driver side was slightly lower than the passenger from the dealer floor. The ubiquitous "Land Cruiser Lean." With the ARB bumper the front dropped about 0.75 inches. I ended up cranking the bolt 4.5 turns on the PS and 5.5 on the DS to get it back to stock height. Still just a slight lean, but not nearly as noticeable. YMMV.

brett0004 said:

Two things to watch out for:

1. Those adjuster bolts can break and I've heard they are hard to find in stock. Without the bolt you have no ride. Rather than just cranking the bars with the wrench you should take the stress off the bolt FIRST by bottle jacking the adjuster up a tad, THEN tightening the bolt to match.
After you think you have it level, go drive it around the block. Come back and re-measure. Chances are the meanurements will have changes and you'll need to readjust. :mad: It might take 2 or 3 drive-arounds (if you're picky like me).

2. Did you add a winch? Stock T-bars are weak and are not made to support the weight of a loaded front end. Many documented cases on broken OEM T-bars. You should upgrade those ASAP!

YES..GET AN ALIGNMENT ASAP TOO! :)

Good info John,
Also be sure to PB Blast the T-Bar adjuster bolt threads several days (repeated apps for mine) before putting a wrench to them...

spressomon said:
Good info John,
Also be sure to PB Blast the T-Bar adjuster bolt threads several days (repeated apps for mine) before putting a wrench to them...

Yes. Something I didn't do back then. Hey, I have immunity because I lifted my 100 years ago. :D

Yes, those bolts are not easy to turn. Anything you can do to help, helps. I'm lucky and never busted a bolt.

dclee said:
In my case, the driver side was slightly lower than the passenger from the dealer floor. The ubiquitous "Land Cruiser Lean." With the ARB bumper the front dropped about 0.75 inches. I ended up cranking the bolt 4.5 turns on the PS and 5.5 on the DS to get it back to stock height. Still just a slight lean, but not nearly as noticeable. YMMV.
I'm curious to learn more about this 'Land Cruiser Lean'. My '00 LX seems to be leaning on the DS as well. The difference is about 0.5".

I was expecting that the AHC would take care of this difference. What is the procedure to get it right? Adjust the AHC sensor, or crank the T-bar?

'00 LX470 - BFG AT 285

white_lx said:
I'm curious to learn more about this 'Land Cruiser Lean'. My '00 LX seems to be leaning on the DS as well. The difference is about 0.5".

I was expecting that the AHC would take care of this difference. What is the procedure to get it right? Adjust the AHC sensor, or crank the T-bar?

'00 LX470 - BFG AT 285

It's a fairly common occurance all the way back to the 80 Series days. Not sure about older wagons. I'm not sure why, maybe because the fuel tank is on that side of the truck, which has variable weight, but the original design put the driver on the right side (PS in the U.S.), since the Japanese drive on the wrong side of the road (heh)! For our market, they've moved the driver over, but probably not adjusted the spring rates or heights to compensate. Or I'm just making this all up! :flipoff2:

Whatever the reason, it's not something you can entirely adjust for on the truck. I think cranking the T-bar might help, but you still have to deal with the rear DS coil. Aftermarket companies such as OME make spring packers (spacers) in various thicknesses precisely for this type of adjustment and leveling, given how widespread the issue is. Problem is, you have to pull your rear coil(s) to put in the packers. I plan on putting in AirLift airbags in the rear coils, and when I do that I'll probably add a 5 or 10 mm. spacer to the DS.

Derek's right on the front, the t-bars can be adjusted, but that doesn't help the rear. A spacer/trim packer is about your only option with the stock rear springs.

If you're planning on adding OME springs, you may not need any trim packers at all. The 866's that I have are the same height for both the DS and PS springs. It's the first time I've ever seen matching springs from OME. And consequently, no lean at present time on my 100.

white_lx said:

Try adjusting one of the front AHC sensors to even things out. Or heck, adjust all 3 of the sensors and give it 2" of lift.

How to adjust AHC sensors for lift.

OK, I'm a big 'tard! Sorry White_lx, I totally missed that you had an LX with AHC. :rolleyes: My post was a lot of help huh? I started reading Derek's post and just added to it and it was all based on a LC without AHC. See what happens when I start agreeing with Derek on stuff! :D :flipoff2:

Greg B said:
See what happens when I start agreeing with Derek on stuff! :D :flipoff2:

(evil laugh) - Greg fell right into my carefully laid trap... :D

So, does anyone know how to adjust lean in an LX470? T-bars or AHC sensor adjustment (or pressures, or a combination of all 3 maybe)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom