wrap/ trac bar (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
ok i don't know squat about this stuff, but was looking (and heim ends are expensive as in australia)

stealing woody's one from the tech section (the back half/ diff mount)

then at the front instead of a heim joint, how about using tube that will slot into the tube used in the rear section, have that slot in then attach the other end of the tube to the shackle off the Xmember.... therefore it can slide in and out, and allows twist for articulation...

it would also (if the amount of tube was right) allow me to fine tune (talking an inch) wheelbase (i.e. redrill perches, change between SOA and SUA) without redoin the wrap bar every time.

one last idea, if the tube can slip in and out, does it even need the shackle? the fore aft movement dealt with with the tube...

anyway just a thought... pick it to bits for me, so i don't waste my time on an inferiour design

oh and here's a rough drawing if you couldn't visuallise it the red bit is the smaller tube to slide into the Y section of tube
trac bar.jpg

Last edited:
yep that is a common design, you don't need a shackle at the frame end though. Problem is, that design is not nearly as strong. There have been many wrap bars like that, snap right where the 2 tubes come together. You are putting a huge moment on that top tube.

bustanutley said:
yep that is a common design, you don't need a shackle at the frame end though. Problem is, that design is not nearly as strong. There have been many wrap bars like that, snap right where the 2 tubes come together. You are putting a huge moment on that top tube.

so where the top and bottom diff mounts come together?

is there another way to triangulate it? would a brace between the two triangulated links help?

i *hope* it won't have to be too strong though, will be a standard geared (aussie spec 4 speed) 2f on 35's..

Here is a couple of shots of a design by Jason at JK customs. It works perfect, It did not limit my articulation at all. I like the single bar design better tha 2 tubes. It uses a single threaded rod to run up to the crossmember connected with a hiem.
P1010001b.JPG
P1010002c.JPG
P1010003b.JPG

Man, that's pretty trick. Thanks for the pics gary.

whats the reason for the shackle in the first place in some designs? i thought the design was to limit the movement of the axle so the springs don't wrap, wouldn't a shackle allow for some movement in the axle?

bandy rooster said:
whats the reason for the shackle in the first place in some designs? i thought the design was to limit the movement of the axle so the springs don't wrap, wouldn't a shackle allow for some movement in the axle?

the shackle allows for drop in the suspension,but doesnt let the axle twist up.

The whole idea is to limit the rotation of the axle, not the articulation..

The shackle is the easiest way to do that Considering that a leaf spring does not allow an axle to travel in a perfect arc..

Full_M3tal said:
Nice Tractor Parts:D

lol yes. BUt hey it works and I know where I can get replacements for only 29 dollars to fix any problem. Not pretty but it works. No more axlewrap under braking or climbing. Makes a big difference when slaming on the brakes when trying to stop at a yellow light because a cop is on the other side. A cop could give a rats ass about axle wrap and the reason you were all the way out in the intersection.

Mace said:
The whole idea is to limit the rotation of the axle, not the articulation..

The shackle is the easiest way to do that Considering that a leaf spring does not allow an axle to travel in a perfect arc..

I'm trying to understand the shackle too.

As I understand it when the axle tries to wraps, it pushes straight up on the shackle, which counters the wrap.

But as the axle droops or compresses the shackle allows movement to keep those stresses off the track bar.

Am I close?

You basically got it, however, the shackle is there to remove the forward/backward movement on the springs..

What I didn't like about the shackle is the side to side movement. Even jointed, they don't move as well as a single rod rubber mounted at the arm end and heim jointed at the cross member end. I have not watched a shackled arm work though and I may be way off base.
G

my fabricator just got back to me, he's not a fan of a single rod design, said all the ones he's seen don't control wrap as well as 2 piece.

also waggoneer, in your example, with the heim joint at Xmember end, rubber mounts diff end, howdo you allow the axle to move forward/backwards through articulation? (like when both wheels drop the diff moves forward)

the single rod design effectivly uses the leaf spring as the lower link. Which to me is not the greatest idea in the world considering the basic problem is the spring wrapping in the first place. Paul Decker has had a lot of luck with these style links tho.. So there is merit to them. I perfer a ladder style system where the upper and lower links merge at the shackle. My rig was not hindered at all by the ladder wrap bar that I had on it. In fact, I am installing the same ladder bar on my FJ60.

The single heim design is typically built with the arc of the axle in mind. However, calculating that exact arc is a PITA...

Waggoner5 said:
What I didn't like about the shackle is the side to side movement. Even jointed, they don't move as well as a single rod rubber mounted at the arm end and heim jointed at the cross member end. I have not watched a shackled arm work though and I may be way off base.
G

Funny you mention side to side movement.

My shackle is approx 3" wide on the inside, and the heim is free to slide side-to-side.. this takes a bunch of side laoding off the whole setup.. seen alot of bars have mount failures, and all of them had the heim captive.

But hell, I can't say much... while it does absolutely stop axle wrap, it gives my suspension approx 215% AS, meaning it hops like a hydraulic low rider, and doesn't throttle-climb very well. Short of making the bar 50" long (It's already ~35" and ends just behind my t-case), there's no effective way to get the AS below 200%. :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom