FJ40 2F - How do I turn the motor manually? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all,

My cylinder head is back on and I am ready to adjust the valve clearance.
For this, I need to turn the motor by hand and I have no idea how to.

The cranj seems to have space for a crankhandle but I don;t \thing I have this handle, nor can it fit through the radiator.

Anyway, what is the easiest way to turn the motor in a controlled way while the fanbelts are off?

Kind regards
Bernt

Doesn't that hole in the front cross member provide access to the main pulley bolt for hand cranking (with the handle you are missing) that you might be able to put a socket and extension through?

But yeah, should be easy enough just turning the main pulley by hand, with the plugs out.

Take a look at your crank pulley to see how it could work with a simple crank. All you need is a rod with a pin through it at one end and a way to turn the rod at the other. The supplied jack handle could do it or a homemade substitue could. It'll only turn one way like that, though, and you slip the rod through under the radiator. (the hole through the crossmember isn't in line with the crank - it's for a PTO driveshaft).
Most engines turn pretty easily by hand with the head off or the plugs out.

honk said:
(the hole through the crossmember isn't in line with the crank - it's for a PTO driveshaft).

I wasn't referring to the offset PTO hole, as that one obviously wouldn't work. I meant the hole that is for the bib hinge bolts, but with a closer look it doesn't go through all the way :doh: . Under the radiator it is. :D

I don't think that my crank handle has a pin that would work with the nut. It only has the hook for the jack. Anyone else's different?

Use a remote starter switch and the starter to get it close, then bump in 4th as suggested.

Ed

Hi all

Hmm - Starter motor it is then. I can't turn it by hand very well.
It is a little tight now that the valve hear is back in the head.

Is there no access point to the flywheel or something where one could use a screwdriver on, as a lever to turn it tooth for tooth?

If I read it right, the the F manual suggests running the motor at idle while adjusting the valves. - No thanks.

I 'll do it tonight.

Kind regards
Bernt

berntd said:
Is there no access point to the flywheel or something where one could use a screwdriver on, as a lever to turn it tooth for tooth?
Yes, you can use a prybar on the flywheel teeth if the dustcover is removed from the bellhousing, but that is a lot of hassle. Just put it in 4th, and lean against the front bumper while watching the timing window.

If I read it right, the the F manual suggests running the motor at idle while adjusting the valves. - No thanks.
It is possible to interpret it that way, That is the beauty of Engrish: it is open to interpretation.;p

But you are correct, valve adjustment is done with engine at operating temp, but not running.:cheers:

I jacked up the back, put the truck in fourth and spun the tires. The driveshaft did not turn. What am I doing wrong here?

There was less resistance for the opposite side tire to spin the in opposite direction than to turn the transfer case, the transmission and the engine. Only jack up the one corner so the opposite tire stays on the ground.

I was able to, from another thread, grab the belts and turn the motor. Wasn't easy and worried about my fingers. But it can be done.

I jacked up the back, put the truck in fourth and spun the tires. The driveshaft did not turn. What am I doing wrong here?

There was less resistance for the opposite side tire to spin the in opposite direction than to turn the transfer case, the transmission and the engine. Only jack up the one corner so the opposite tire stays on the ground.

Yup. With an open diff, leave one tire on the ground.
Butt

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom